1998 Nissan Altima XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

1998 Altima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Sort Reviews by

Good old Reliable.
By mitchell19

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought a 1998 Nissan Altima brand new off the dealer lot in cerritos with only 5 miles. I loved everything about it, the interior, the way it drove, and not to mention its reliability. It never once broke down on me....ever. I loved its reliability so much, I wish I could buy another one. I was sooo sad the day I totaled it at 148,000 miles. Me and my family drove it everywhere from San Francisco to Minnesota to Las Vegas and back, it was also a great commuter car for getting to and from work. I now drive a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe, only time will tell just as to how reliable it is.

Favorite Features

The outside could be more exciting.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage.

Disappointed
By xray2

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 1998, and am quite disappointed. Almost made it for 12 trouble free years, then at 210,000 miles the transaxle fell apart. Replaced the transaxle with another used one. Other that that, the body and interior has remained in great shape. Hopefully the piece of junk will make it another 200,000 miles. lol

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Parts that will last

OK, but could be better
By EJS

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought with 28K miles from the dealer in nice condition. It now has just over 100k miles and I would say it's been OK. I replaced both axles at around 80K miles. I do not tear around in this car, but it eats engine mounts; I have replaced the rear engine mount 3 times so far. This car is noisy on the freeway and fuel economy has never been over 30mpg. Drivers window switch failed at 85K and this requires a fair bit of digging into the driver's door to replace a $200 part. CD player has twice died; first time the dealer replaced it ans second time I found a cold solder joint on the display connector. Lifters have been noisy at startup since we bought the car. I think Honda is better

Favorite Features

Reliable. OK, so it's needed more maintenance than it should but it has never let us down.

Suggested Improvements

Vibration from engine/belts is annoying

great delivery car
By R.Rushing

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The handling is really good, not what you expect when looking at it. U-turns can be a problem. Has great power concerning the 2.4 4 cylinder engine. Roomy on the inside & I'm 6'4''. Everything is in a good place to reach. The outside is nice, only the back doesn't look right without the spoiler. The sound is great with standard cd & tape players. Very good on gas. I've been a delivery driver since 05 & put well over 100,000 miles on it. Besides the normal (tiers, brakes, oil) i only spent about $700 on a fuel pump. I only paid $500 for the car but would have paid 4x that.

Favorite Features

The power & handing makes you feels like you are driving a sports car. It over 10years old & rides like it's only 5years old. All the miles i put on it. Weather its delivering food all day at work or going back & forth from D.C. to Baltimore. This car has been there for me.

Suggested Improvements

spoiler & better u-turn ability.

Well worth the money!
By Ernie

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Nissan Altima for just over 10 years. In that time, I have managed to accumulate over 200,000 miles on my vehicle with very little major repairs. I changed the oil, rotated and changed tires, and got regular tune ups done, but that is about it. The car still runs great. It was money well spent.

Great, dependable Car
By auntieannie2

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This 1998 Altima GXE was my first brand new car and, after owning a series of VWs, I enjoyed the reliability and sporty looks of this car. I now have 176,000 miles on it, only ever needed tires, brakes, tune ups until two months ago, when the engine finally went out, ONLY because I got very lazy on the oil changes, mind you! I put in a used Japanese engine and it runs like a charm again but it now has a steering fluid leak that has to be fixed. I think its to be expected at 176000 miles. Its been a fantastic car and I would highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

Sooo reliable, roomy, comfortable seats and controls, stylish, sporty looking.

Suggested Improvements

1998 gxe audio system does not sound that good, could improve. Left window rattles at higher speeds.

Good Trooper
By northwest

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Given as a gift after graduation, 65000 miles. Thanks aunty, some parts were modified for more power and sound, in turn most stock problems never happened. Runs like a champ with mobile 1 syn every 4000miles. Ngk sparkys & wires. I still get 22-25 city, 37+ highway. No prob w/engine yet. I have good mechanics:). 144300 miles strong.

Favorite Features

After modification. I peel out at 2k rpm dead stop up hill by accident, yokohamas aren't cheap. Torque is fierce. It is a bit louder than most, but still a sleeper.

Suggested Improvements

Weather stripping along the doors, too much wind noise past 60+ mph and door and rear speakers all blown :( no lumbar support.

Our Marshmallow Car
By MITZI

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My grandkids call this the marshmallow car, because it's white & looks like a big marshmallow. I've replaced the CV joints on it and that's about it. I have fun driving my car, it has got me out of some scary jams on the freeway. It accelerates rapidly & is easy to speed in. I got my last ticket in it about 3 years ago going over 100 mph as I had neglected to set the cruise control. I hadn't even noticed. I have 128,000 miles on it & almost feel like it's a pet. I've never been one to attach to material objects but this one has inspired emotional attachment. I'll keep it until it's ready for the scrap heap. I'll never trade it off. I willing to paint it or whatever, it's a keeper.

Favorite Features

Peppiness, fun to drive. DEPENDABILITY! Remarkably dependable under the hood. Steering. Wood grain console. 4 cyl engine has remarkable power. Mileage acceptable for my use. Handles well in heavy snow. It's 10 years old & the heater, air conditioner & rear window defrost still work. Heater is hot.

Suggested Improvements

Body integrity seems a little flimsy, especially in the trunk. Visor mount broke,radio button came off & drivers window contact stubborn. Road noise. Radio control knob stripped. Right front speaker busted.So the problem with this car is body & trim integrity.

Wonderful car
By Ol Hokie

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used seven years ago with 45,000 miles on it; it now has nearly 209,000 and I have spent no money on it except for routine maintenance and service, gasoline, tires, and new CV joints at about 190,000 miles. It still has the original clutch (it's a 5 speed manual). It is the eighth Nissan that I have owned. All have been great!

Favorite Features

Reliability, performance, handling and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Too late to improve it now since this model has gone through two new designs.

Great Car
By Brendan

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned. I have had it 10 years and other than gas, wiper blades, tires etc. I have only replaced the front brake pads once. So non routine maintenance for this car in 10 years has been under $200. I have other vehicles now and don't drive it as much as before but it is just too good of a vehicle to get rid of. I will definitely buy another Altima when I am in the market for a car.

Favorite Features

Reliability, fun to drive moon roof.