1998 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Good old Reliable.
By mitchell19 on 03/26/14 18:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought a 1998 Nissan Altima brand new off the dealer lot in cerritos with only 5 miles. I loved everything about it, the interior, the way it drove, and not to mention its reliability. It never once broke down on me....ever. I loved its reliability so much, I wish I could buy another one. I was sooo sad the day I totaled it at 148,000 miles. Me and my family drove it everywhere from San Francisco to Minnesota to Las Vegas and back, it was also a great commuter car for getting to and from work. I now drive a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe, only time will tell just as to how reliable it is.

great delivery car
By R.Rushing on 02/26/09 00:21 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The handling is really good, not what you expect when looking at it. U-turns can be a problem. Has great power concerning the 2.4 4 cylinder engine. Roomy on the inside & I'm 6'4''. Everything is in a good place to reach. The outside is nice, only the back doesn't look right without the spoiler. The sound is great with standard cd & tape players. Very good on gas. I've been a delivery driver since 05 & put well over 100,000 miles on it. Besides the normal (tiers, brakes, oil) i only spent about $700 on a fuel pump. I only paid $500 for the car but would have paid 4x that.

Well worth the money!
By Ernie on 02/15/09 21:17 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Nissan Altima for just over 10 years. In that time, I have managed to accumulate over 200,000 miles on my vehicle with very little major repairs. I changed the oil, rotated and changed tires, and got regular tune ups done, but that is about it. The car still runs great. It was money well spent.

Great, dependable Car
By auntieannie2 on 12/29/08 03:39 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This 1998 Altima GXE was my first brand new car and, after owning a series of VWs, I enjoyed the reliability and sporty looks of this car. I now have 176,000 miles on it, only ever needed tires, brakes, tune ups until two months ago, when the engine finally went out, ONLY because I got very lazy on the oil changes, mind you! I put in a used Japanese engine and it runs like a charm again but it now has a steering fluid leak that has to be fixed. I think its to be expected at 176000 miles. Its been a fantastic car and I would highly recommend it.

Good Trooper
By northwest on 12/12/08 02:50 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Given as a gift after graduation, 65000 miles. Thanks aunty, some parts were modified for more power and sound, in turn most stock problems never happened. Runs like a champ with mobile 1 syn every 4000miles. Ngk sparkys & wires. I still get 22-25 city, 37+ highway. No prob w/engine yet. I have good mechanics:). 144300 miles strong.

Great Car
By Brendan on 06/29/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned. I have had it 10 years and other than gas, wiper blades, tires etc. I have only replaced the front brake pads once. So non routine maintenance for this car in 10 years has been under $200. I have other vehicles now and don't drive it as much as before but it is just too good of a vehicle to get rid of. I will definitely buy another Altima when I am in the market for a car.

Luxury
By jbesad01 on 02/15/08 13:24 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I got mine for 3,200 from a private seller who had taken good care of it since the day it was bought. The inside of this car is beautiful. I felt like I was driving something I paid $20,000 for. Great combination of power and mileage. I got 33mpg once on a long trip. I love this car.

My best car ever!
By Daddyniowa on 02/13/08 22:31 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 58,000 miles on it and it is a five speed manual transmission. I only opened up the exhaust and installed a Tornado fuelsaver (for whatever thats worth). I burn Mobile one full synthetic oil in it changed at every 8,000 miles. For some time now I use the car 100 miles five days a week to commute my non-driving wife to work. I have done "nothing" to the car basically except put gas in it. Gets anywhere from 31 to 34 mpg on highway, and shifts out of third gear at 103 mph! Uses one half a quart of synthetic oil every 8,000 miles. If you see a white 1998 Nissan Altima in northern Mo. to Southern Iowa screaming down I-35 highway, that would be me!

Bullet Proof!
By Daddyniowa on 08/27/07 12:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car it had about 59,000 miles on it. It is a five speed. The only modifications I have made is opened up the exhaust and installed a "Tornado fuel saver". I do use Mobile One full synthetic motor oil changed every 8,000 miles, and synthetic gear lube as well. I have owned a lot of Japanese cars in my past, and I have to say this one is one of the very best! I consistently get 32 to 34 mpg on the highway which is most all that I drive. It corners very well, and if you redline 3rd gear you are doing exactly 103 mph! Whenever I give a friend a ride or let them drive it they cannot believe the power and torque that it has. As as far as repairs there have not been any yet!

ALTIMA NISSAN: excellent car
By Ruth on 08/15/06 13:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Found a little skid in the front tires on wet uphill surfaces. Otherwise, a perfect car; never ever a mechanical problem. Not once. A fantastic machine.