Used 1998 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Good old Reliable.
By mitchell19

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought a 1998 Nissan Altima brand new off the dealer lot in cerritos with only 5 miles. I loved everything about it, the interior, the way it drove, and not to mention its reliability. It never once broke down on me....ever. I loved its reliability so much, I wish I could buy another one. I was sooo sad the day I totaled it at 148,000 miles. Me and my family drove it everywhere from San Francisco to Minnesota to Las Vegas and back, it was also a great commuter car for getting to and from work. I now drive a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe, only time will tell just as to how reliable it is.

Favorite Features

The outside could be more exciting.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage.

Disappointed
By xray2

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 1998, and am quite disappointed. Almost made it for 12 trouble free years, then at 210,000 miles the transaxle fell apart. Replaced the transaxle with another used one. Other that that, the body and interior has remained in great shape. Hopefully the piece of junk will make it another 200,000 miles. lol

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Parts that will last

OK, but could be better
By EJS

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought with 28K miles from the dealer in nice condition. It now has just over 100k miles and I would say it's been OK. I replaced both axles at around 80K miles. I do not tear around in this car, but it eats engine mounts; I have replaced the rear engine mount 3 times so far. This car is noisy on the freeway and fuel economy has never been over 30mpg. Drivers window switch failed at 85K and this requires a fair bit of digging into the driver's door to replace a $200 part. CD player has twice died; first time the dealer replaced it ans second time I found a cold solder joint on the display connector. Lifters have been noisy at startup since we bought the car. I think Honda is better

Favorite Features

Reliable. OK, so it's needed more maintenance than it should but it has never let us down.

Suggested Improvements

Vibration from engine/belts is annoying

great delivery car
By R.Rushing

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The handling is really good, not what you expect when looking at it. U-turns can be a problem. Has great power concerning the 2.4 4 cylinder engine. Roomy on the inside & I'm 6'4''. Everything is in a good place to reach. The outside is nice, only the back doesn't look right without the spoiler. The sound is great with standard cd & tape players. Very good on gas. I've been a delivery driver since 05 & put well over 100,000 miles on it. Besides the normal (tiers, brakes, oil) i only spent about $700 on a fuel pump. I only paid $500 for the car but would have paid 4x that.

Favorite Features

The power & handing makes you feels like you are driving a sports car. It over 10years old & rides like it's only 5years old. All the miles i put on it. Weather its delivering food all day at work or going back & forth from D.C. to Baltimore. This car has been there for me.

Suggested Improvements

spoiler & better u-turn ability.

Well worth the money!
By Ernie

1998 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Nissan Altima for just over 10 years. In that time, I have managed to accumulate over 200,000 miles on my vehicle with very little major repairs. I changed the oil, rotated and changed tires, and got regular tune ups done, but that is about it. The car still runs great. It was money well spent.