1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
OK, but could be better
By EJS on 12/30/09 12:55 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought with 28K miles from the dealer in nice condition. It now has just over 100k miles and I would say it's been OK. I replaced both axles at around 80K miles. I do not tear around in this car, but it eats engine mounts; I have replaced the rear engine mount 3 times so far. This car is noisy on the freeway and fuel economy has never been over 30mpg. Drivers window switch failed at 85K and this requires a fair bit of digging into the driver's door to replace a $200 part. CD player has twice died; first time the dealer replaced it ans second time I found a cold solder joint on the display connector. Lifters have been noisy at startup since we bought the car. I think Honda is better

Our Marshmallow Car
By MITZI on 09/02/08 22:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My grandkids call this the marshmallow car, because it's white & looks like a big marshmallow. I've replaced the CV joints on it and that's about it. I have fun driving my car, it has got me out of some scary jams on the freeway. It accelerates rapidly & is easy to speed in. I got my last ticket in it about 3 years ago going over 100 mph as I had neglected to set the cruise control. I hadn't even noticed. I have 128,000 miles on it & almost feel like it's a pet. I've never been one to attach to material objects but this one has inspired emotional attachment. I'll keep it until it's ready for the scrap heap. I'll never trade it off. I willing to paint it or whatever, it's a keeper.

Best Car So Far!
By ck1986 on 02/19/08 17:37 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Considering the only other vehicle I've owned was an 88 Buick Regal this was quite the improvement! I received this car as a gift from my grandfather in the summer of 07. It's been a great car since. He did have some work done previous to my ownership (replaced the front axle as well as the head gasket two years ago) I haven't experienced any major problems, although as of this week I've been experiencing some over heating issues. Hopefully a problem soon to be easily solved. Everyone who's driven the car has been amazed, apparently it's not what they've expected out of a ten year old nissan. So far so good!

Loved and Lost
By Lucky7 on 10/29/07 05:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My '98 Altima GLE was killed in a crash, and I miss it so much. It's been 3 months, and I've tried to replace it wit the same style (98-2001) and trim, but they're hard to find. So no luck so far. I've gone 3 months without a car just because I can't bear to own something else. This really was a tremendous car. Not only did it keep me safe during the rear-end that totaled it (airbags didn't deploy, though), I never had a major problem with this car. The driver's power window went out after a couple years but it wasn't too expensive to fix. It had 130,000 miles on it and I would have gotten another 130,000, I think. Can't go wrong with this car.

Good Alternative to Accord and Camry
By Donna (TX) on 06/11/07 15:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

For less money than the Accord and Camry, you're getting a car with similar reliability and build quality. I owned this car for 5 years and never had any, even minor, problems. Service only involved regular oil changes and such. The car did have a horrible turning radius for its size.

Good Reliable Transportation
By Tim on 01/14/07 19:19 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My '98 GLE has 90,000 miles on it and I have owned it since 22,000 mi. It has treated me very well. It's not a sports car or SUV, but just sound, comfortable transportation. The car has been very reliable with no major maintenance at all. It seems to be well designed and will likely go to our daughter for many years to come. Previously had a 1983 VW Jetta that was awesome & was concerned that the Altima wouldn't measure up, but it has. Overall very good.

Runs awesome
By Matt on 01/05/07 13:29 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I have 83,000 miles on this car and it has served me well through college. Many people said I had the nicest car they've seen on campus although mine wasn't the newest or best by any means. The interior of the car is unlike what you see in cars of this price range nowadays. The drive is ok, it's enough to get you by. The wind/road noise is not what I would expect in a near luxury car - you can solve this by simple soundproofing. The Clarion sound system - standard on the GLE, is extremely clear and balanced - although the front is tuned a little shrill [might be the Boston Acoustics that I have there now] once you get some decent speakers on it. Better car than the competition by far.

Still impresses People
By Jess on 04/26/06 21:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I Love my car. I have a 98 GLE and it is dependable and it still looks good. Its still drives excellent and has nearly 130,000 miles on it and I have never had any major problems. People still get in my car and tell me wow this is pretty nice. And i have come to love the rear end, but I have a spoiler which really evens things out.

Great Used Car Value
By troyx on 03/07/05 23:44 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I brought this car a little over half a year ago with under 25K mi. to replace a totalled 99 Elantra. The jump in quality blew me away, after the last car, this one feels like a luxury car. The car I got had low mileage and almost no interior or exterior wear to speak of. It feels like a new car, even with it being over 7 years old. Handling it tight and firm, acceleration is smooth and the engine sounds quiet and refined. This car is a used car best buy, IMO. Resale value was lower than Camrys and Accords, but specs and build quality is on the same level. I haven't heard of any recalls for this generation Altima.

Very Good Car/Value
By rkrois on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Purchased car new in 1998, stick shift, no problems at all, currently have 115,000 miles and it still runs great and is fun to drive.