Used 1998 Nissan Altima GLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Most Helpful|
Best Car So Far!
By ck1986

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Considering the only other vehicle I've owned was an 88 Buick Regal this was quite the improvement! I received this car as a gift from my grandfather in the summer of 07. It's been a great car since. He did have some work done previous to my ownership (replaced the front axle as well as the head gasket two years ago) I haven't experienced any major problems, although as of this week I've been experiencing some over heating issues. Hopefully a problem soon to be easily solved. Everyone who's driven the car has been amazed, apparently it's not what they've expected out of a ten year old nissan. So far so good!

Favorite Features

I absolutely love the sunroof! The drive has been a pleasant one. I like the setup of the center console very convenient I loved the remote entry until my remote went berzerk and began locking and unlocking my car and setting off the alarm while my car was in drive! Didn't expect that one!

Suggested Improvements

Unfortunately when I received the car the speakers were shot so I'm in the process of replacing those. I've had problems with my power windows (especially driver's side) going back up, and issues with my gauges fluctuating. More comfortable seats a plus, an 07 altima is my next car of choice!

OK, but could be better
By EJS

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought with 28K miles from the dealer in nice condition. It now has just over 100k miles and I would say it's been OK. I replaced both axles at around 80K miles. I do not tear around in this car, but it eats engine mounts; I have replaced the rear engine mount 3 times so far. This car is noisy on the freeway and fuel economy has never been over 30mpg. Drivers window switch failed at 85K and this requires a fair bit of digging into the driver's door to replace a $200 part. CD player has twice died; first time the dealer replaced it ans second time I found a cold solder joint on the display connector. Lifters have been noisy at startup since we bought the car. I think Honda is better

Favorite Features

Reliable. OK, so it's needed more maintenance than it should but it has never let us down.

Suggested Improvements

Vibration from engine/belts is annoying

Our Marshmallow Car
By MITZI

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My grandkids call this the marshmallow car, because it's white & looks like a big marshmallow. I've replaced the CV joints on it and that's about it. I have fun driving my car, it has got me out of some scary jams on the freeway. It accelerates rapidly & is easy to speed in. I got my last ticket in it about 3 years ago going over 100 mph as I had neglected to set the cruise control. I hadn't even noticed. I have 128,000 miles on it & almost feel like it's a pet. I've never been one to attach to material objects but this one has inspired emotional attachment. I'll keep it until it's ready for the scrap heap. I'll never trade it off. I willing to paint it or whatever, it's a keeper.

Favorite Features

Peppiness, fun to drive. DEPENDABILITY! Remarkably dependable under the hood. Steering. Wood grain console. 4 cyl engine has remarkable power. Mileage acceptable for my use. Handles well in heavy snow. It's 10 years old & the heater, air conditioner & rear window defrost still work. Heater is hot.

Suggested Improvements

Body integrity seems a little flimsy, especially in the trunk. Visor mount broke,radio button came off & drivers window contact stubborn. Road noise. Radio control knob stripped. Right front speaker busted.So the problem with this car is body & trim integrity.

Good Alternative to Accord and Camry
By Donna (TX)

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

For less money than the Accord and Camry, you're getting a car with similar reliability and build quality. I owned this car for 5 years and never had any, even minor, problems. Service only involved regular oil changes and such. The car did have a horrible turning radius for its size.

Favorite Features

Sun roof, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Better turning radius.

Loved and Lost
By Lucky7

1998 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

My '98 Altima GLE was killed in a crash, and I miss it so much. It's been 3 months, and I've tried to replace it wit the same style (98-2001) and trim, but they're hard to find. So no luck so far. I've gone 3 months without a car just because I can't bear to own something else. This really was a tremendous car. Not only did it keep me safe during the rear-end that totaled it (airbags didn't deploy, though), I never had a major problem with this car. The driver's power window went out after a couple years but it wasn't too expensive to fix. It had 130,000 miles on it and I would have gotten another 130,000, I think. Can't go wrong with this car.

Favorite Features

Roomy leather interior. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Mine didn't have keyless entry, and the wheel base is so wide, U-turns aren't an option in most cases. But nothing major.