1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Disappointed
By xray2 on 06/10/10 14:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 1998, and am quite disappointed. Almost made it for 12 trouble free years, then at 210,000 miles the transaxle fell apart. Replaced the transaxle with another used one. Other that that, the body and interior has remained in great shape. Hopefully the piece of junk will make it another 200,000 miles. lol

Wonderful car
By Ol Hokie on 08/16/08 20:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used seven years ago with 45,000 miles on it; it now has nearly 209,000 and I have spent no money on it except for routine maintenance and service, gasoline, tires, and new CV joints at about 190,000 miles. It still has the original clutch (it's a 5 speed manual). It is the eighth Nissan that I have owned. All have been great!

Long-life reliable car
By Joe on 05/12/08 11:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

My Altima SE is a 5 spd manual which makes a 4 cyl a little more fun! Bought the car at 124k in fall '04 and will be retiring it soon with 190k. No real problems until last few months - engine is still great. Still using original clutch (needs replacement). Odometer broke a few months ago, and windshield wiper motor just died. Those are the only mechanical things to go wrong in the 4 years I've owned it... not bad! I am now looking to buy an '05 Altima because they are very reliable.

Reliable until now!
By russ on 03/17/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

Up to last Saturday, my 10 year old Altima has been nothing but ultra reliable. It is a noisier car on the highway, especially compared to my wife's Accord, but otherwise a nice car to drive. It handles well, accelerates very well, with power to spare from its 4 cyl engine. Cruise control is a "must" to avoid speeding tickets! Until 3/14/2008, biggest maintenance expense has been for tires (Arizona roads eat them!), and minor maintenance. Saturday (3/15/8) morning, at 65 mph on the freeway the transmission failed. Car has 144,000 km (89,300 miles) on it. Failure occured within coasting distance of a dealership. Cost to repair almost $5,000. Grrrr!!

Good Dependable Automobile
By RodR7679 on 08/17/07 21:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

Excellent car. This car was dependable even at 15 degrees below 0 F and handled good even in snowy winter driving.

It's a great car,I'd buy another one.
By Wayne Johnson on 04/11/06 20:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 1998 Altima a week ago and I love the car, it is in excellent condition. It is very comfortable, spacious, tight, handles well, and runs very strong. To keep within the speed limit I have to use Cruise Control and that is with the 4 cylinder! My only complaint is that there is a moderate amount of road noise,especially from the agressive 60 series tires. That aside, I'd buy a new one after I own this one a little while and I've heard from many people that if you change oil regularly and keep up with an Altima, you should be able to get 225,000 to 250,000 miles out of them easily. The many car Ads I saw proved this out. Enough said.

Love this car.
By Tom Dodson on 11/02/05 09:59 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

This is a daily commute vehicle that's been fun to drive. The 2.5l four cylinder engine performance has always impressed me. I had the automatic transaxle rebuilt at 225K miles and that's the only major work ever done. No engine work at all. 25MPG combined highway/city. 100 watt stereo/CD player, remote entry. I love the split fold down rear seats that allow you to load large cargo into a small car, really convenient. I also love the overdrive lockout button on the gear shift that allows you to use the engine compression to slow the car in traffic like a manual transmission. I'll miss that feature because the new Altima doesn't have it.

great car, sporty too
By dynatmrider on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

iv had this car since may of 98 when they came out. this car is great. its an SE with leather, cd, abs, manual, sport suspension (stiffer ride) and power drivers seat. seats are comfortable and the back seats are those of a bmw. i have 120,000 miles on the car and have not done anything to it. over six years on the original battery and still going! once this thing is in 5th gear you can go from 60 to 100 in a blink! fast car! buy it!

Simple, enjoyable sports sedan
By clarka100 on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used with around 50K miles and have beed driving it hard ever since. It takes it all and keeps moving. Im a salesman and spend hours in my car, and this Altima is a lot of fun and very comfortable to be in. I love the sunroof, the leather seats are always appreciated and I havent had any work done to the car yet except new tires and oil changes. Sound system is great for factory, and visual view through the windshield is second to none. Have no complaints with this car except the rear end which is kinda boring. Ohh, and as with any car, more horsepower is great.

5 years before 1st trip to the shop
By happymister on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

5 years after buying my 98 Altima SE, I finally took it to the shop when the check engine light came on. Looks like i needed a new evap emission control valve for $166 including parts and labor. Since it has been 5 years and this is the first problem with the car.. i thought it was the right time to write a review. The car has been the most reliable car i have ever owned. The only other things i have replaced on this car are the tires around 40k miles. I put 4 Goodyear Acqutread 3 tires and handling continues to be excellent.