Used 1998 Nissan Altima GXE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Good old Reliable.
By mitchell19

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought a 1998 Nissan Altima brand new off the dealer lot in cerritos with only 5 miles. I loved everything about it, the interior, the way it drove, and not to mention its reliability. It never once broke down on me....ever. I loved its reliability so much, I wish I could buy another one. I was sooo sad the day I totaled it at 148,000 miles. Me and my family drove it everywhere from San Francisco to Minnesota to Las Vegas and back, it was also a great commuter car for getting to and from work. I now drive a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe, only time will tell just as to how reliable it is.

The outside could be more exciting.

gas mileage.

great delivery car
By R.Rushing

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The handling is really good, not what you expect when looking at it. U-turns can be a problem. Has great power concerning the 2.4 4 cylinder engine. Roomy on the inside & I'm 6'4''. Everything is in a good place to reach. The outside is nice, only the back doesn't look right without the spoiler. The sound is great with standard cd & tape players. Very good on gas. I've been a delivery driver since 05 & put well over 100,000 miles on it. Besides the normal (tiers, brakes, oil) i only spent about $700 on a fuel pump. I only paid $500 for the car but would have paid 4x that.

The power & handing makes you feels like you are driving a sports car. It over 10years old & rides like it's only 5years old. All the miles i put on it. Weather its delivering food all day at work or going back & forth from D.C. to Baltimore. This car has been there for me.

spoiler & better u-turn ability.

Well worth the money!
By Ernie

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Nissan Altima for just over 10 years. In that time, I have managed to accumulate over 200,000 miles on my vehicle with very little major repairs. I changed the oil, rotated and changed tires, and got regular tune ups done, but that is about it. The car still runs great. It was money well spent.

Great, dependable Car
By auntieannie2

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This 1998 Altima GXE was my first brand new car and, after owning a series of VWs, I enjoyed the reliability and sporty looks of this car. I now have 176,000 miles on it, only ever needed tires, brakes, tune ups until two months ago, when the engine finally went out, ONLY because I got very lazy on the oil changes, mind you! I put in a used Japanese engine and it runs like a charm again but it now has a steering fluid leak that has to be fixed. I think its to be expected at 176000 miles. Its been a fantastic car and I would highly recommend it.

Sooo reliable, roomy, comfortable seats and controls, stylish, sporty looking.

1998 gxe audio system does not sound that good, could improve. Left window rattles at higher speeds.

Good Trooper
By northwest

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Given as a gift after graduation, 65000 miles. Thanks aunty, some parts were modified for more power and sound, in turn most stock problems never happened. Runs like a champ with mobile 1 syn every 4000miles. Ngk sparkys & wires. I still get 22-25 city, 37+ highway. No prob w/engine yet. I have good mechanics:). 144300 miles strong.

After modification. I peel out at 2k rpm dead stop up hill by accident, yokohamas aren't cheap. Torque is fierce. It is a bit louder than most, but still a sleeper.

Weather stripping along the doors, too much wind noise past 60+ mph and door and rear speakers all blown :( no lumbar support.