1997 Nissan Altima Consumer Review: Decent car with maintenance is

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Review

Decent car with maintenance issues
By nncincinnati on

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

The Altima was very reliable early on, but as it aged, needed many more costly repairs and fixes. At ten years and less than 100,000, it has cost $600-1500 per year for the last five years to keep it running (not including tires!). My mechanic says there a few fundamental design flaws that show as this car ages that are costly (because they are labor intensive) to fix.

The handling of this car in turns is execellent. Every other similar type of car I test drive seems wobbly in comparision. I always feel in control while driving due to good steering, wheel traction, and general stability.

Long term maintenance record. For 97,000, this car has had too many $900 repair bills. I wish I could keep it longer, but it is too expensive to maintain.
By tino13
on 12/21/14 10:44 AM (PST)

The flaw that I know is the intake gasket. $15 part, $ 600 labour. Otherwise it's solid. Other repairs are normal on all cars as they age.