1997 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Ultimate Altima
By beisenmann on 06/03/07 14:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and it looks like it'll hold up long enough for me to cart my children around in! It has held up well, even though I haven't always treated it as well as I should have.

Best bang for buck that runs forever!
By Snowie on 05/24/07 11:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I got this car as a graduate student in 2000 already with 100000 miles on. 7 years later and now at 253000 miles, it still runs like the first day I got it! I've only started to use premium maintenance parts on it 6 months ago (synthetic oil, good filters, good spark plugs which I doubt played any part in the reliability). It is still giving me up to 36 mpg hwy!! It has no rust - tiny spots on the front due to stone chips easily fixed with a tiny scraper and a touchup paint pen. Engine uses timing chain, superb reliability. Major maintenance in the 7 years was a starter, a clutch, a muffler, CV joint (shaft). Usual parts: batteries, brakes, fluids and oil, filters and struts.

It's been a great car
By GB on 05/20/07 14:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I just handed my 1997.5 Altima down to the kids with 158000 miles on it and expect many more good miles from it. The car has been very comfortable and reliable over the years. I did all the scheduled maintenance and the car has been great. I upgraded to the 2007 Altima and the kids are happy to have my old faithful. It should get another 100k miles easy.

Reliable
By Rob on 07/10/06 16:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle used with 50,000. Have not had any problems with this car. Only noticeable problem is the clear coat is peeling. Very reliable car. Would purchase a Nissan again.

you might think twice
By Altima is so-so on 05/30/06 18:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I bought the '97 altima in April of '02. After the 1st 6 months of ownership, it was one thing after another. While it only broke down twice, I never really enjoyed the car w/o some lingering minor problem. The car brakes and ride were noisy from day one. The antenna quit working properly after about a year and a half. I was so happy to be rid of that car this year. My comfort and leg room was not great but I'm 6'3" so I accept certain things in life. Overall, if I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would buy it again. There are worse cars to buy for sure, but there are better. Spent over $2000 in repairs in a 2 year span.

Recommends 1997 Nissan Altima
By Marcus on 12/19/05 12:28 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This car has been a joy to own and drive. The interior design provides clear vision to the driver. It drives smoothly and has never left me sitting on the side of the road. In fact, the only problem I've had is when the alternator went out at 75,000 miles. This car is large enough to feel safe, and gets good gas mileage for a 3000 pound car.

Reliable--just keeps on going
By Patricia on 08/15/05 22:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I have had few problems. The air bag light had to be repaired;luckily, it was still under warranty. Also, there was a gasket something-or-other which was repaired also under warranty. Otherwise, it has been super--extremely reliable. The manual is great, too. The yummy grey velvet upholstery is still in excellent condition as are the dashboard and all the compartments. Still running great at 65,000 miles!

Reliable Car
By Z on 06/06/05 12:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I would recommend buying a Nissan. It was reliable while I traveled back and forth from college. I found out the hard way that my Nissan is picky about what types/brand of parts that I use. The engine light has been on for the past year. Other than that, I haven't had any problems.

Great Car but beware of certain Dealers
By Hurricane on 01/30/05 14:36 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

After buying the car in Apr. 1998 for $13k I am happy i have put 140K miles on the car to a total of 174K miles. As with some reviews my car has dash gremlins which can be obnoxious. In the past month I have had the shock joints changed and the battery cables replaced. Carriage Nissan's service has been very unsatisfactory. The car has had electrical problems since the replacement of the battery cables. Leaving me stranded twice. I hop after the fourth set of battery cables that it is fixed. Other than that every thing seems to working great.

Nice Family sedan Civic eater
By varmstead on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I got my car a year ago. I have not had one problem out of it. It performs well and can easily take a civic highway or off the line. So performance wise you got to give it it`s props. As far as build quality I had a 95 and the building of this 97 I would have to say is greatly inproved all though you can not see it by eye. It gets good gas mileage if you can lay off the accelerator about 30 MPG Highway (5 Spd) I would recommend Altima to anyone. Reviews on this car says it needs a V6 truth be told the 2.4 L 5 spd. altima will take a Auto Maxima Anyday of the week. (No Lie Experiance) Its a nice car to modify if your into Turbos and engine upgrades... 2.4L 16V Altima A all around bomb car.