1997 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
you might think twice
By Altima is so-so on 05/30/06 18:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I bought the '97 altima in April of '02. After the 1st 6 months of ownership, it was one thing after another. While it only broke down twice, I never really enjoyed the car w/o some lingering minor problem. The car brakes and ride were noisy from day one. The antenna quit working properly after about a year and a half. I was so happy to be rid of that car this year. My comfort and leg room was not great but I'm 6'3" so I accept certain things in life. Overall, if I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would buy it again. There are worse cars to buy for sure, but there are better. Spent over $2000 in repairs in a 2 year span.

Solid Car
By Cabanna on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I bought my Altima used in 2001 with 51,000 miles and I haven't had any major problems with it since besides normal upkeep and wear and tear. I'm satisfied with this car for the most part. My complaint is that the Altima does shift a little hard. I took it to the mechanic and he told me that the transmission was okay though and that this version of the Altima tends to do that. The other thing I noticed is the brakes squeel when the car hasn't ran for a while, but as soon as the car warms up the squeeling stops. I did have this problem looked at as well and I was told this was okay for now.