Used 1997 Nissan Altima GLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Terrible car
By xie004

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car at 60k. Repaired this car every year since then for average more than $1k a year. Replaced a lot of parts. Made a big mistake trying to keep this car. At only 131k milage, engine died. Terrible car. Avoid Nissan at any cost.

Life Saver
By ReporterOKC

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

After having relatively good luck with my Nissan, a 17 year old in a Saturn put a hault to it's life. She pulled directly into my path and I broadsided her going 40mph...her Saturn was obliterated but my Altima held up quite well. The airbag deployed, and there was a signifigant amount of damage, but nothing that injured me...I truely believe that this car saved my life.

Altimax
By John Buller

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought Champagne GLE on a whim after Honda dealer jerked me around buying my 3rd Honda. Never drove a Nissan before, and Altima seemed like a big step up from Civic EX. Mfg was paying Mass excise tax for life of lease, that was swaying factor. Car itself, while comfy, wasn't much fun to drive, and economy was dreadful. Too small an engine dragging around a porker. Dealer brochure showed a 97 with auto climate control and CD, ended up with a decontented 97.5 with manual A/C and no CD.

Favorite Features

Solid, decent leather, comfortable seats, trunk room. Champagne ext with palomino leather int looked sharp, ez to keep clean. Others like it more than I did. Marlboro Nissan great dealer; added a ten changer CD at no cost when car came through without one.

Suggested Improvements

Lose weight, bigger engine, handling, even for GLE could use less novocain in the shocks. Base radio awful, seats need more support.