Used 1997 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Terrible car
By xie004

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car at 60k. Repaired this car every year since then for average more than $1k a year. Replaced a lot of parts. Made a big mistake trying to keep this car. At only 131k milage, engine died. Terrible car. Avoid Nissan at any cost.

Reliable & Fun But Unsafe!
By webter

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

The integrity of the motor and many of the other parts are top notch. If you are looking for a base vehicle to fix to street race, this would be a great one. With that said, I was in an accident with this vehicle. The car was totaled and I had a head injury, which has left me with some brain damage. There isn't ABS on this vehicle and the air bag didn't deploy. There were fairly new Bridgestones on the car, so I can't blame it on the tires. Luckily the seat belt locked or else I wouldn't be writing this review!

The A/C is the best I have ever seen.

Safety, Safety, Safety!

Very Satisfied owner
By Very satisfied owner

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Nissan Altima 97 with little over 8000 miles. It currently has 286,437 miles on it. The car has treated me very well even though I didn't take care care of it. It still runs just as good as it did when I bought it. i haven't had to do very much work on it thus far. Just minor repairs and regular tune ups. I have driven it literally all over the country due to being in the army.

I enjoy the handling and the interior design of this car. The replacement parts for the car is relatively inexpensive and easy to find at the stores anywhere in the states.

The improvements have been noticed with the newer models of the Nissan line. since my first purchase of the 97 Altima I have bought 3 other Nissan cars and still have them. thank you for your improvements.

Best First Car Ever!
By College Kid

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 16 years of age and it has proven it's value in the near 5 years I've owned it. I bought the car at 119,452 miles and it now has 302,679 miles and still runs like brand new. I drive all over the place as you may be able to tell by the number of miles I've put on it. I occasionally race newer sports cars at the lights and I've beaten many smaller turbo charged and V6 cars, with the occasion of some bigger V8 powered cars. The only repairs I've ever had to make on this car was a section of the rear subframe rotted out and needed a new section put in ($240), and new rear drums ($100). If this isn't good enough yet, then let me tell you I get 37 miles per gallon combined.

The power from the small 2.4L I-4 engine is immense. The interior design is very complex, yet well organized. The interior also reflects that of a luxury car. The 5-speed manual has proven to be reliable and efficient, plus it allows for a faster takeoff. Plus the handling is fantastic and it's fun.

Make sure to take care of the undercarriage (remove any rust and paint with 3M salt protectant paint). The fuel door is a little difficult to open in the freezing cold, but lightly hitting it normally breaks it free of the ice.

great car!
By ionut

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 2003, as a graduate student. Best $3,750 spent! Didn't like the exterior in particular, but once I got inside, I fell in love with it. Strong engine, not so great transmission. When I bought it, one of my colleagues told me: "Altima, you will get tired of it, it will never break!". He was right. In six years we replaced the tires, front breaks and the radiator. VERY cheap to replace. No rattles! OK, it's noisy inside, the ride is not what it used to be when I bought it six years ago, but what can you expect from a 12 year old car? It is a Limited Edition, it has everything my Accord'07 has (another great car)!!! Just love it! I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

Reliability and built quality. Good gas mileage.

Too late for that, I guess ...