1997 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
It's been a great car
By GB on 05/20/07 14:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I just handed my 1997.5 Altima down to the kids with 158000 miles on it and expect many more good miles from it. The car has been very comfortable and reliable over the years. I did all the scheduled maintenance and the car has been great. I upgraded to the 2007 Altima and the kids are happy to have my old faithful. It should get another 100k miles easy.

Pretty satisfied with my first car
By Enoch on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

Good used car for a student. As reliable as Honda and Toyota but costs you much less. It had 108K when I bought it 3 1/2 months ago. Engine and transmission are running great so far.

i love my car
By nickia reid on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

i brought the altima in 2000.. i love it very very much and i will always stick with the altimas.. i love the way the the inside is built.. i love the way it drives.. The car is very sexy and it fits me completey..in 3 years im planning to buy me another altima

No major complaints
By Marylander975 on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I don't have any major complaints with this Altima, though I can't say I love the car. It has been dependable, but doesn't have enough cargo room for me. I would have preferred a car with rear seats that go down to extend cargo room. One thing - the paint job is the worst. It didn't take long for the paint to start peeling and chipping and for it to become oxidized. I have had to replace the alternator, windshielf wiper motor and have had a problem with the rear brakes.

Bad Transmission
By E Vining on 09/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I agree that the mileage is poor with this vehicle. But really bothers me is that I need to put in a new transmission at only 56,0000 miles. There are two recalls on this vehicle 1) transmission part 2) seatbelt Will not buy another one, will go back to Honda Accord.

Its an OK Car
By Rams on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I have this car for 6 years 98 K miles, no major problem but always some minor problems. Alternator died at 72 K, front brakes at 75, muffler at 84, rear break at 92. Car is very reliable so far. What i dont like about this car is its noisy, gear shif is not smooth, pick up is not smooth, power steering is not firm and there is a lot of vibration at high speeds (these are not just my car, i have some friends who have the same complaints). I would rather pay an extra 2000 and buy an accord.