1997 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Terrible car
By xie004 on 06/30/13 15:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car at 60k. Repaired this car every year since then for average more than $1k a year. Replaced a lot of parts. Made a big mistake trying to keep this car. At only 131k milage, engine died. Terrible car. Avoid Nissan at any cost.

Reliable & Fun But Unsafe!
By webter on 06/20/13 15:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

The integrity of the motor and many of the other parts are top notch. If you are looking for a base vehicle to fix to street race, this would be a great one. With that said, I was in an accident with this vehicle. The car was totaled and I had a head injury, which has left me with some brain damage. There isn't ABS on this vehicle and the air bag didn't deploy. There were fairly new Bridgestones on the car, so I can't blame it on the tires. Luckily the seat belt locked or else I wouldn't be writing this review!

Very Satisfied owner
By Very satisfied owner on 04/02/10 23:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Nissan Altima 97 with little over 8000 miles. It currently has 286,437 miles on it. The car has treated me very well even though I didn't take care care of it. It still runs just as good as it did when I bought it. i haven't had to do very much work on it thus far. Just minor repairs and regular tune ups. I have driven it literally all over the country due to being in the army.

Best First Car Ever!
By College Kid on 01/31/10 16:25 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 16 years of age and it has proven it's value in the near 5 years I've owned it. I bought the car at 119,452 miles and it now has 302,679 miles and still runs like brand new. I drive all over the place as you may be able to tell by the number of miles I've put on it. I occasionally race newer sports cars at the lights and I've beaten many smaller turbo charged and V6 cars, with the occasion of some bigger V8 powered cars. The only repairs I've ever had to make on this car was a section of the rear subframe rotted out and needed a new section put in ($240), and new rear drums ($100). If this isn't good enough yet, then let me tell you I get 37 miles per gallon combined.

great car!
By ionut on 06/19/09 20:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 2003, as a graduate student. Best $3,750 spent! Didn't like the exterior in particular, but once I got inside, I fell in love with it. Strong engine, not so great transmission. When I bought it, one of my colleagues told me: "Altima, you will get tired of it, it will never break!". He was right. In six years we replaced the tires, front breaks and the radiator. VERY cheap to replace. No rattles! OK, it's noisy inside, the ride is not what it used to be when I bought it six years ago, but what can you expect from a 12 year old car? It is a Limited Edition, it has everything my Accord'07 has (another great car)!!! Just love it! I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

The best nissan Altima (Ever made)
By lenchmoore on 05/28/09 17:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Well I purchased my Nissan altima gxe in New Jersey on September 1st 2004, on my way home this car ran so smooth as if it was brand new. As I drove it through the years it got better all the time I go around that steering wheel, personally I rate this Nissan altima gxe series over all the other altima's.

Great Buy
By PeekoSanchez on 11/28/08 13:53 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Altima used at 37,000 miles in 2001 and it's still going strong at 130,000, though it's needed some major repair. I've had to replace the alternator (at 75k), one CV axle and the other will need replacement soon, the switch for the power windows and locks, and the clutch a year ago. Those are the only $200 plus repairs done in 7 years though, which is a bargain compared to the repair work other models need in that amount of time. The interior doesn't hold up well however; the vents on the dash are popping up, a sun visor fell off while I was driving, and the speedometer sticks sometimes. The fabric is cheap and stains easy.

Great Car!
By Andrea on 12/07/07 20:50 PM (PST)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 almost 4 years ago for $2800 with 162,000 miles on it. It's up to 215,000 now and is running great. I did have some major repairs the first year but since I switched mechanics I haven't had any problems. Definitely worth the money.

Decent car with maintenance issues
By nncincinnati on 09/07/07 19:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

The Altima was very reliable early on, but as it aged, needed many more costly repairs and fixes. At ten years and less than 100,000, it has cost $600-1500 per year for the last five years to keep it running (not including tires!). My mechanic says there a few fundamental design flaws that show as this car ages that are costly (because they are labor intensive) to fix.

Good Car
By Good Car on 07/17/07 14:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Nissan Altima XE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 9 years. I have had transmission problems. It's on its 2nd one. The alternator and brakes have been replaced. Overall it has been a really good reliable car. It needs to go in the shop about once a year. It's been on a few road trips. It's a great car for city driving.