Nice commuter
By Driver from OH on
1996 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan
Bought this car cheap with a blown engine (overheated) at 143k. Replaced with a 53k engine and barely ran until I replaced distributor, knock and O2 sensor, and alternator (I suggest replacing parts with new Nissan parts, otherwise, you'll be replacing them again soon). Now, if I don't look at the odometer (155k), I think that the car is only several years old. The engine and transmission (auto) were designed for each other and provide good power at both high and low RPM ranges. One major flaw on these cars are the timing chain guides, which start making loud ticking noises after about 40k, and the only solution is to remove them. Nissan got rid of these in their later models. Good car!
Favorite Features
Sporty suspension, powerful engine, tight steering. Get 30-33 mpg on the highway if staying in 65-70 mph range.
Suggested Improvements
Cup holders in front of radio are bad idea. Make the rear seat fold down. The exterior design of the car is boring, wouldn't have bought if wasn't cheap. Decent spoiler in the back to clear the back glass of water. Replace distributor after about 110k or if starting to stall for no reason.