1996 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Competent and reliable
By oldsport on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Reliable. Conservatively iconoclastic styling. Very competent handling. And did I say reliable? Ours is about to turn 100K, and all we've done is change the fluids, plugs, and timing belt at normal intervals.

Very Dependable
By Rioo on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I leased this car for 3 years. I tested both auto and stick. Let me tell you they are very different. The 5 speed is much quiter and pull quicker. To be honest, it was a leased car so I didn't bother to change the oil or get it tuned up on schedule. I might have 4 oil and 1 set of sparkplugs changed in those 3 years... and it just runs and runs without even a single problem!

BEST 'LIL CAR!
By T-money on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive, easy to park, sooper dependable! one setback not as good fuel ecomomy as might think. bought at 20,000 miles now has 101,000 never lost a day due to breakdown, never got me stranded!!!

Best Car Ever Owned
By jhumbug on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car used in 1999 with 55,000 miles. Now have 138,000 miles on it. Have been waiting patiently for it to fall apart so I can justify getting a new car, but the blasted thing just keeps going, and going, and going. No major repairs in the four years I've had the car. It runs just as well as the day I bought it.

Long Term Review
By Ramoman on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand-new at the end of 1995 and have managed to put on around 133,000 miles on it since then. I love the interior and high quality of materials that Nissan has used. I also love the engine. It can out-accelerate most other vehicles in its class. What I don't like is the costs for maintaining the vehicle. Twice, I've had to replace the O2 Sensor. That cost me somewhere around $350 each time. Also, I'm now having to replace the clutch because it makes really loud noises. This is going to set me back approximately $800 since the kit replaces the clutch and the AC compressors.

Good & Bad
By QMAN on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I had this car since '97 and i had no problem with it for the first 3 years and then alterantor went out twice, battery died twice, radiator leak, odometer stopped working, horn stopped working, dash light does not work. Last time i am buying a Nissan.

Trouble Free
By Barracuda on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought the GXE new in 1996. I have not had any problems with the car in 7 years. I've owned a Camry and Corolla and the Altima is far superior in terms of reliability and quality. The car feels and acts solid and dependable. The only things I've replaced are the tires. Otherwise, just routine maintenence.

Trouble Free
By Sonny2003 on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Only oil, tires, brakes, fluids, etc in 85000 miles. Very solid second car. Not exciting, but very dependable

Bulletproof
By mikelrb on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Have had this for 32 months. Super reliable. No maintenance other than oil changes. Now has 85,000 miles. Just goes and goes and goes. Never had such a reliable car. Has sold me on Nissan / Infiniti. Looking to get an Infiniti or Maxima. Not real comfortable for long drives, but does the trick. Around town, just fine. Get up and go when you need it from a 4-banger. Mileage a little low for this size engine. Overall super value.

96 Altima GXE
By Dennis Ragan on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Comfortable vehicle, Good power inautomatic 2.4. Not particularly happy with the way it handled in snow and on wet roads. Shifts strangely in lower gears. Seems to be in 3rd at times when it should be in 2nd, then jerks into right gear.