Used 1996 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Happy driver
By Ole Reliable

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 140,000 mile on it. I have put over 20,000 on it in the last 3 months. It runs great and performs without any problems. Gets 35 mpg on the highway and even with the tall miles it uses no oil and has no leaks. Everything works! This has been a great second car for work. Wish I had bought one new in 96.

5 speed trans is nice to bang gears with.

Better wipers and better cup holders.

Been there for me for over 10 years
By Lura

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Like an old friend, my trusty Altima has been with me through a lot of my young adulthood. When I first got her, I remember being very happy with the swift acceleration. Over the years, I have have had a few problems, but not unusual based on the number of miles these problems occurred at.

Easy and affordable to maintain, roomy, reliable, No major breakdowns, feels safe and comfortable, responsive, good pickup, rounded shape seems aerodynamic and helps reduce noise.

Turning circle could be shorter, reduce probability of electrical problems.

Your Average Car
By dude

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have a 96' gxe, and its fine to drive to close distances, but i don' trust it to go further distances after the fuel pump, distributor and A/C went out. Gas is ok not the best. I would go with the Toyota Camry though and pay a few hundred bucks more.

The Engine is very strong, i have to had it to nissan and their engines, also the car wont lock electricly unless the key is out of the contact

Horrible maneuvering ability, replace cup holders, make it more reliable, and lighten the steering a bit

Has been a decent car
By greg_m

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My dad was the original owner of this car and sold it to me in 2003 w/about 135,000 miles on it. Its a pretty quick car for only being a 4 cyl., but the gas mileage isnt all that great either. When I was putting mostly highway miles on it traveling to work, I think I only averaged about 22 or 3 mpg. The engine still runs nice at 170k miles, but it has always had an oil leak. Ruined a distributor and an alternator. Got the seal fixed once, but now it leaks again.

Very solid car. Still runs smooth at 170k miles.

Oil leaks!! Other than that, the cup holders are the only thing I dont like. THey're in a weird spot, and when something leaks it gets everywhere.

The little car with a surprise
By weazer6511

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

At first getting this car, I had very few expectations. An inline-4 and a car I had not heard of. Nearly a year later my view of the car has totally changed. It handles beautifully around fast corners and at high speeds is quite steady. The only drawback is that it is an automatic, but other than that I really enjoy the car. It is quite realiable and no problems. The car has 45K miles and looks to last me until 200K. I've put a new muffler and air intake and it's 2.4L engine pulls amazingly. It is a quick car and fun to drive

It handles well, a little roll over in some fast turns, but very stable

Keep it in shape