1996 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Not so fast Nissan
By _impeachbo on 09/11/14 23:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This 1996 Altima GXE was driven by an older lady on her less than frequent trips around Denver. It was bought at fair market price or so I thought. It was gone over by a mechanic prior to purchase, who confirmed the motor mounts were shot, so I took that at face value. Later, the automatic trans seized up, and it became quite apparent from my research that many of these transmissions have a flaw in the valve body design. So fine, if your has not been replaced it will eventually weaken in this crucial area. I am in the process of replacing this transmission, and will need to buy at lease one half shaft with cv joint.

Couldn't ask for more!
By Noprob96 on 03/18/08 19:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Our Altima now has 241,000 KMS on it - about 145,000 miles - and it is as solid as the day we bought it. Yes we have the little oil leak problem, but hands down this is the best, toughest most reliable car we have ever owned! We recently bought a new vehicle, but we would not part with our Altima, as I think at 12 years old it still has years of life in it!

Good hand-me-down Car
By George L. on 09/30/07 22:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My dad purchased this car new in March 1996 and this car has been in my family since. I got the car as a junior in high school from my dad in 2001, and now at 23 I still have the car. While I am looking to replace it, I have been pretty happy with it since I got it 6 1/2 years ago. I have had very few mechanical problems with it. It seems to run strong every day. It doesn't have too many miles for its age. It's been a nice 1st car for me, but I am ready to move on.

Nice commuter
By Driver from OH on 07/26/07 09:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car cheap with a blown engine (overheated) at 143k. Replaced with a 53k engine and barely ran until I replaced distributor, knock and O2 sensor, and alternator (I suggest replacing parts with new Nissan parts, otherwise, you'll be replacing them again soon). Now, if I don't look at the odometer (155k), I think that the car is only several years old. The engine and transmission (auto) were designed for each other and provide good power at both high and low RPM ranges. One major flaw on these cars are the timing chain guides, which start making loud ticking noises after about 40k, and the only solution is to remove them. Nissan got rid of these in their later models. Good car!

Happy driver
By Ole Reliable on 07/04/07 10:25 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 140,000 mile on it. I have put over 20,000 on it in the last 3 months. It runs great and performs without any problems. Gets 35 mpg on the highway and even with the tall miles it uses no oil and has no leaks. Everything works! This has been a great second car for work. Wish I had bought one new in 96.

Been there for me for over 10 years
By Lura on 06/09/07 00:20 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Like an old friend, my trusty Altima has been with me through a lot of my young adulthood. When I first got her, I remember being very happy with the swift acceleration. Over the years, I have have had a few problems, but not unusual based on the number of miles these problems occurred at.

Your Average Car
By dude on 10/26/06 19:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have a 96' gxe, and its fine to drive to close distances, but i don' trust it to go further distances after the fuel pump, distributor and A/C went out. Gas is ok not the best. I would go with the Toyota Camry though and pay a few hundred bucks more.

Has been a decent car
By greg_m on 08/31/05 13:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

My dad was the original owner of this car and sold it to me in 2003 w/about 135,000 miles on it. Its a pretty quick car for only being a 4 cyl., but the gas mileage isnt all that great either. When I was putting mostly highway miles on it traveling to work, I think I only averaged about 22 or 3 mpg. The engine still runs nice at 170k miles, but it has always had an oil leak. Ruined a distributor and an alternator. Got the seal fixed once, but now it leaks again.

The little car with a surprise
By weazer6511 on 06/18/05 00:36 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

At first getting this car, I had very few expectations. An inline-4 and a car I had not heard of. Nearly a year later my view of the car has totally changed. It handles beautifully around fast corners and at high speeds is quite steady. The only drawback is that it is an automatic, but other than that I really enjoy the car. It is quite realiable and no problems. The car has 45K miles and looks to last me until 200K. I've put a new muffler and air intake and it's 2.4L engine pulls amazingly. It is a quick car and fun to drive

Saved My Life!!
By LilKim on 06/02/05 18:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 96 Altima as college car in 2001 used w/115K.Could not have asked for a better ride! Comfy (for a 5'2 chick), SUPER reliable,and LOTS of fun to drive.Sunroof,woodgrain,& Alpine CD made it heaven. Easy on the insurance bill and as everyone knows miles don't hurt Nissans! I was at 162K and going strong except a finicky O2 sensor, but that's nothing that midgrade gas didnt magically fix :) Unfortunately someone decided to drive in my lane going the wrong way & hit me head on (we both were going 45) thats a 90MPH collision. Amazingly -NOT buckled and blessed beyond belief- I WALKED away from the wreck w/2 airbag burns. THANKS Nissan for making such a great car,just bought a Maxima, staying loyal!