Used 1996 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

1996 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

This car is a TANK! GXE FWD 4 door Manual
By mary

1996 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this 1996 used in 1999 w/36K Miles. 2016 has 173K. Best car ever! Always had regular maintenance. Great gas mileage for its age, $25 to fill tank at current prices. Drives great in rain/snow, interior/exterior has held up really well. Replaced the windshield once in 2012, takes road debris really well. Stick/clutch lasts a long time, on my second Clutch. Has great heat/AC. Replaced radio so it is now Bluetooth w/CD & USB. I'll miss this car's reliability. If you are looking for a reliable used car, this is a great option if the car was well maintained.

Great first car
By Nathan

1996 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I got this car in August 2013 at about 183,000 miles and is at 210,000 currently and its been great have had no problems with it yet. If you want a cheap reliable car with very little to no maintenance than pick this car up.

Not so fast Nissan
By _impeachbo

1996 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

This 1996 Altima GXE was driven by an older lady on her less than frequent trips around Denver. It was bought at fair market price or so I thought.
It was gone over by a mechanic prior to purchase, who confirmed the motor mounts were shot, so I took that at face value. Later, the automatic trans seized up, and it became quite apparent from my research that many of these transmissions have a flaw in the valve body design. So fine, if your has not been replaced it will eventually weaken in this crucial area.
I am in the process of replacing this transmission, and will need to buy at lease one half shaft with cv joint.

Not quite sure but for the promise of a low price.

Transmissions.

Couldn't ask for more!
By Noprob96

1996 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Our Altima now has 241,000 KMS on it - about 145,000 miles - and it is as solid as the day we bought it. Yes we have the little oil leak problem, but hands down this is the best, toughest most reliable car we have ever owned! We recently bought a new vehicle, but we would not part with our Altima, as I think at 12 years old it still has years of life in it!

Quiet smooth ride and reliability.

Definitely the cup holder in front of the CD/radio.

Good hand-me-down Car
By George L.

1996 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

My dad purchased this car new in March 1996 and this car has been in my family since. I got the car as a junior in high school from my dad in 2001, and now at 23 I still have the car. While I am looking to replace it, I have been pretty happy with it since I got it 6 1/2 years ago. I have had very few mechanical problems with it. It seems to run strong every day. It doesn't have too many miles for its age. It's been a nice 1st car for me, but I am ready to move on.

A/C always runs very cold. Heat is good, too.

Cup holders are in the way of the radio and gas mileage is decent but could be better.