Used 1996 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Not so fast Nissan
By _impeachbo

1996 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

This 1996 Altima GXE was driven by an older lady on her less than frequent trips around Denver. It was bought at fair market price or so I thought. It was gone over by a mechanic prior to purchase, who confirmed the motor mounts were shot, so I took that at face value. Later, the automatic trans seized up, and it became quite apparent from my research that many of these transmissions have a flaw in the valve body design. So fine, if your has not been replaced it will eventually weaken in this crucial area. I am in the process of replacing this transmission, and will need to buy at lease one half shaft with cv joint.

Not quite sure but for the promise of a low price.

Transmissions.

Couldn't ask for more!
By Noprob96

1996 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Our Altima now has 241,000 KMS on it - about 145,000 miles - and it is as solid as the day we bought it. Yes we have the little oil leak problem, but hands down this is the best, toughest most reliable car we have ever owned! We recently bought a new vehicle, but we would not part with our Altima, as I think at 12 years old it still has years of life in it!

Quiet smooth ride and reliability.

Definitely the cup holder in front of the CD/radio.

Good hand-me-down Car
By George L.

1996 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

My dad purchased this car new in March 1996 and this car has been in my family since. I got the car as a junior in high school from my dad in 2001, and now at 23 I still have the car. While I am looking to replace it, I have been pretty happy with it since I got it 6 1/2 years ago. I have had very few mechanical problems with it. It seems to run strong every day. It doesn't have too many miles for its age. It's been a nice 1st car for me, but I am ready to move on.

A/C always runs very cold. Heat is good, too.

Cup holders are in the way of the radio and gas mileage is decent but could be better.

Nice commuter
By Driver from OH

1996 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car cheap with a blown engine (overheated) at 143k. Replaced with a 53k engine and barely ran until I replaced distributor, knock and O2 sensor, and alternator (I suggest replacing parts with new Nissan parts, otherwise, you'll be replacing them again soon). Now, if I don't look at the odometer (155k), I think that the car is only several years old. The engine and transmission (auto) were designed for each other and provide good power at both high and low RPM ranges. One major flaw on these cars are the timing chain guides, which start making loud ticking noises after about 40k, and the only solution is to remove them. Nissan got rid of these in their later models. Good car!

Sporty suspension, powerful engine, tight steering. Get 30-33 mpg on the highway if staying in 65-70 mph range.

Cup holders in front of radio are bad idea. Make the rear seat fold down. The exterior design of the car is boring, wouldn't have bought if wasn't cheap. Decent spoiler in the back to clear the back glass of water. Replace distributor after about 110k or if starting to stall for no reason.

Happy driver
By Ole Reliable

1996 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 140,000 mile on it. I have put over 20,000 on it in the last 3 months. It runs great and performs without any problems. Gets 35 mpg on the highway and even with the tall miles it uses no oil and has no leaks. Everything works! This has been a great second car for work. Wish I had bought one new in 96.

5 speed trans is nice to bang gears with.

Better wipers and better cup holders.