GXE - An AWFUL care w/ auto tranny
By dumbo on
1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan
This car is just plain awful with an automatic tranny. (SLOW!) I am constantly overriding the auto. because it refuses to shift down unless the car is absolutely floored! The gas mileage is also very poor - 22 mpg for a 4-banger?! The back seat is small (though it may not look like it, it really is), 3 adults fit like sardines. Not to mention that the check engine light has come on ever since we bought this car. We've had it repaired 3 times and finally have accepted that it is going to stay on, like it or not. I have a VERY hard time looking at Nissan again after this pathetic excuse for a car. My Civic is a MUCH better car (and 1 year older).
Favorite Features
O/D shutoff button on the auto. shifter. I'd have driven this car off a cliff by now if it didn't have it, because I have to use it when the car won't shift down.
Suggested Improvements
DON'T buy one with auto tranny. Improve gas mileage. Back seat is a waste of space, suspension is too soft and floaty. My best suggestion is to not look at this car at all - hindsight being 20/20, I'd have paid a few thousand more in a heartbeat for a Honda Accord.