1995 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
reliable used car
By roger on 04/03/06 11:04 AM (PDT)

1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

very reliable. Two repairs (less than $400) in 10 years of high usage.

too much car for what a pay for.
By manuel sanchez on 11/25/05 08:32 AM (PST)

1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

i am super happy with my car because i pay 3400 in 2003 in california. I have travel a lot of miles and i am really happy because i trust it and i haven't spend much money i mean it is really cheap. i am really happy. I can not explain it with words. i haven't broken down. i have spend money only on service, tires and gas, in two years and i have travel to san antonio, amarillo, el paso, alburquerque new mexico ,las vegas etc.

1995 Nissan Altima
By AbigailJean on 07/21/05 21:39 PM (PDT)

1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I do like my car! I find it comfortable and generally a reliable car. There was an oil leak (O-Ring) which required removing the engine, I had a problem with it stalling which turned out to be the ignition module and distributor rotor, CV Boots/Axle's needed replaced at about 110,000 miles, the alternator and radiator both needed replacing at about 130000 miles and most recently the timing chain started rattling around and the motor mounts broke. I think I'm actually going to get the timing chain replaced and fix the motor mounts too. Repairs cost about what the car is worth but like I said I like the car and I do feel like it will run a good bit longer with these repairs.

Love my car!
By Afrodisiac1985 on 04/23/05 00:41 AM (PDT)

1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of the Nissan name plate and I was not disappointed at all. It starts without hesitation everyday, even in cold weather. It now has 148000 miles on the odometer and the performance is still great for a automobile this old. Loved it so much that I bought a 2003 Altima. Gas mileage is a little low, only 245 miles per tank. The only problems that I've had have been sqeaky brakes that never seem to be quiet with any repair,a check engine light that pops on when nothing is wrong with the car, and recently a very bad oil leak that I have gotten repaired twice($500 each repair!)that seems to come back every couple of months.But I would still recommend this car to anyone!

extremely reliable
By snbnadeau on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

my wife bought this car when it was two years old with 45K miles on it, and it's been our family car and now it's my commuter car. It now has almost 120K and still runs great. The engine is one of the best mixes of power, fuel economy and reliability. No major unexpected repairs, only had to Jerry-Rig the power antenna to be permanently in the up position (plastic gears in the antenna motor started to wear and chatter, extremely loud, over $300 for a new motor). Don't go cheap with replacement tires on this car, good tires improve ride comfort substantially.

solid used car
By Alias761 on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 90K and it now has over 140K. No major problems to report thus far. The engine has several small oil leaks, which is normal for aging cars. The transmission is showing signs of wear on initial start up, no big deal. I've replaced the CV boots, front brakes, tires, shocks, muffler, antenna, engine mounts, tie rod ends, and performed all scheduled maintenance. The engine and transmission perform well, and the suspension and steering are sold. It's a very well built car that requires a relatively small amount of maintenace and age related componet replacement.

It was good for a while . . .
By savethematches on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car two years ago with 95000 miles on it. Drove it for two years with no problems. Recently though, it's begun to fall apart. Oil leak around timing belt cover (a common problem with this engine--be sure to check before you buy), exhaust pipe melted through gas tank (someone removed the heat shield), and fuel system is acting up. I'd be sure to check for the oil leak and the heat shield between the exhaust pipe and gas tank. We were very lucky to not catch fire or explode.

Loving my Bluebird
By Joe N.Z. on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I live in New Zealand and own the equivalent version of the Altima except with the 2 litre engine. It is a very comfortable car with some of the best seats in the car industry. The interior is well designed and after 9 years still looks modern. Its also very reliable, no major problems except a leak in the boot which was fixed in due course. Now up to 75000mls since new and still going. Don't know about the 2.4 version but the 2.0 litre version lacks gusts and is lethargic.

Leakage
By Nassinotua on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Basically I bought a lemon. Make sure you get yours checked out before you buy it. Everything leaks. I've spent over $1000 fixing stuff that was broken or worn out before I got it. It looks a little nicer than it actually is. It still needs another $700+ more parts and labor. It is cheaper than a new car though.

Great Honda/Toyota Alternative
By neogenesisfool on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I picked up a 95 altima because it was much cheaper than a used accord and i was impressed by my friends. I've been driving for a year now and my car hasn't given me any major problems. For the first few months i drove it fast and hard and it faired perfectly. It handles well, has a comfortable interior and can seat five people in a pinch. The only repairs done to the car were new brakes (my fault) and new axles (salted roads). The cars themselves hold well on their own but i would suggest anyone looking to buy one used have the electrical system checked out. Tailights have a habit of fading or turning off when your brake lights turn on because of bad wiring.