Used 1995 Nissan Altima GXE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Most Helpful|
The most reliable car i've ever owned
By Mike

1995 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used in 2001. I've now had it for 8 years. This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Has 133k miles now and still gets 30+ mpg hwy. No Major repairs have been needed, only routine maintenance. I've seen identical cars with well over 200k miles on them and still run fine. Would definitely recommend an altima to anyone who wants a reliable, economical car that is easy and inexpensive to maintain.

Favorite Features

Power windows, locks, mirrors. Cruise control. Overdrive. AC.

Amazing car
By JamesDB

1995 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $2,000 about 4 or 5 years ago at about 80K miles on it. For the first 3 years I drove it like a sports car. I have hit the max speed and stayed going that fast for most drives to work for like the first 2 years of owning it. It never gave me any reason to doubt it. I would hit corners real fast and always pushed it to its limits. That was when I was younger I have since then driven much more respectfully. But I went complete repair free for about 3 1/2 years. Only problems to this date was a stalling issue, which turned out to be my distributor. Also replaced water pump. But that was it. I still drive it to this very day with 150K miles on it. It's a beast machine.

Favorite Features

The strong engine is baffling, the car does turns very well. Love the sunroof and the fact that the car has very good braking. This car is meant to have a nice pair of tires on it. Do not get cheap tires! My first set seemed to give me issues in the rain.

Suggested Improvements

The sound system is pathetic, the cup holders are much too small as is the glove box, also 2nd gear seems to be a little ruff but not to much of a problem. Overall I would recommend this car to anyone. It's just about perfect.

ehhh
By johnny

1995 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car for 200 dollars. I had to put in a new radiator and starter, before it would drive. After that I drove it out to California, which was a 2000 mile drive. The alternator went out on the trip there.I had it for about 6 months after that and it had no problems and I was happy with it. Then the problems started. I had to replace the half-shafts. The check engine light came on with no explanation for it ever being found. The air bag light would flicker on and off. The power steering leaked, as did the oil. Then the alternator went bad again. Then the transmission started slipping. Then the exhaust rusted out. Everything was replaced until the engine itself went bad.I gave up.

Favorite Features

I always liked the looks of these cars when I was growing up.

Suggested Improvements

I put almost 60,000 miles on the car, and I did not baby it. It survived well and gave me a lot of good memories.

Good while it lasted.
By Raq217

1995 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 130,000 miles on it. In the year and a half since I've owned it I have put as much in repairs into it than I paid for the thing. An alternator, a starter, all new brakes, new exhaust pipe and muffler, and it still isn't running right. Even with regular maintenance this car is a lemon. Occasionally it just doesn't start, with no explanation. Also, the ABS light lit up and the car wouldn't start for days. I bought the car with the impression that Nissans were reliable.

Favorite Features

Great on gas, decent outer appearance.

1995 Nissan Altima GXE
By Eddy

1995 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Nissan Altima in 1997 and it had 26k miles on it. The engine has never had any major repairs done to it and i just went over 190k. I love this car and will have a hard time getting another car. I have had some work done over the years like the distributor, water pump, oil seal on under side of engine, struts, brakes, joints, drive axles etc. I use penzoil oil in the engine and always change it every three thousand miles. It has never been wrecked and I have driven from New York to Texas and made stops in Arkansas and Tennessee. I have taken it up and down the east coast and have been well pleased with it over the years. Thank you Nissan you have built one tough car!!Eddy

Favorite Features

I love the cruise control

Suggested Improvements

Nothing