Used 1994 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Superior reliable, powerful and heaven to drive
By ricky

1994 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

We purchased a 1994 Nissan Altima GXE brand new of '94. I kept the car until my children graduated college sure miss my car it lasted 350,000 + miles. I used my father's Chrysler 300 (2008 model) but nothing liked my Altima when comes to dead heat in reliability when kids had it in school. Took many trips it got very good fuel economy between 28-30mpg highway as my children went back and forwards to college. One of the children had a wrecked doing heavier snow storm in (2010) luckily that little car protected our daughter she got out without a scratch we did get it repaired but didn't look too well after the crashed as had too get stuff fixed as - Wheel bearing: Strut: Oil sensor and steering rack due to oil leak from accident. It was a comfortable car had lots of room me and my boys are tall we had enough headroom as trunk was huge for subcompact car. One thing about those gen Altima's hated were spending a fortune getting hubcaps replace as other owners were experiencing otherwise had a bulletproof engine ran awesome. Electronics: Air conditioning: Radio: Controls: Door doors/Cruise control: still had worked great before sold off car. The tranny shifted smooth never had no indicator lights except O/D: Light malfunction other than that our little Altima ran like a top changed oil and tire rotation at 3,500 miles never experienced bad with vehicle even my children drove many miles through mountains etc. I would buy another Nissan but they are using CVT in all new models these cars are dependable never die easily can sleep on it. We traded a 1988 Chevy Corsica for that car due needed bit room space our first Nissan done us well plus used commuting lots of trips. Loved my Altima if could do it all over again would buy another first generation model in a heartbeat reason got rid of it because high miles and keeping up maintenance as having lots of miles the car would've needed few repairs as got aging with 350,000 + miles. Only problems had were minor: CV joints: Brakes: Distributor cap: Alignment: Struts: Hub bearings: Ignition coil: Alternator and Starter: The interior held up well for a 21 year old car no problems out of anything mechanical it lasted forever handled well and drove smooth when got it had a lot of power for a four cylinder engine plus averaged 30 miles per gallon on highway absolutely loved our little Altima ran like a top without spending time into a shop was most dependable car ever owned.

Super reliable, impressive 5 speed performance
By fourtravelers

1994 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Purchased used in 2000 with 90k miles....traveled all over the western states, replaced clutch at about 150 K.
At 230 K plus... my family and I survived a
near head-on highway accident.
The car is totaled but we all survived.
We will buy another Nissan Altima.
I am sure the car would have gone another 100 to 200 K for sure.
This was our experience...can't speak for the rest.
The only continuing issue was a small electrical issue....grounding kept blowing front head lamps every 6 months...mechanic could not find the troubled spot and bulb replacement was always cheaper.
Once the radio antenna snapped of...finding a replacement was difficult...regular maintenance was the key.

5 speed ...acceleration...handling...even though it was a 4 door...we always said...the car did not know it wasn't a BMW

1994 Nissan Altima
By mark_jr48

227K still runs strong.
Bought back in 1994 runs just as strong today as it did 17 years ago.
Original clutch and just changed original brake rotors last week.
Best car I have ever had.
Timing chain is getting a little noisy and has a oil leak, but does not drip on the garage floor so its fine.

Exceeds Monetary Investment
By satisfied

1994 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

We have two GXEs which were purchased new a month apart in 1993. Both have 193,000 plus miles. Although several parts have been repaired/replaced (e.g. CV joints, climate control system, A/C condenser, knock sensor, head gasket, engine oil leak (common occurrence) blower motor, both vehicles have serviced us VERY well and have been maintained likewise. We hope to drive the cars until... These Altimas have exceeded our expectations. Regrettably, the newer models are engineered to make the consumer more dealer-dependent for maintenance and repair. People are EXTREMELY surprised at the age of the vehicles (nearly 16 years) because they have retained their new- car appearance.

Acceleration, interior/exterior, driver visibility.

Mounting the cruise control on/off button on the steering wheel for better accessibility/safety for the driver. Ditto for sideview mirror control on the door panel. The blind spots could have been reduced. The window design restricts sufficient air flow unless fully opened.

$400.00 and counting but worth it
By drshot

1994 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

got cheep 4cyl great spent $1000.00 on it already tires tranny service front end work alingment small parts from junk yard, raidator flush hoses tune up kid thinks its grate good fuel I like small cheep to reg and ins wtill working on it got power stearing r\r power windows rt side heater hoses, all in all will be a good first time pre dented car for kid. will have3 about 2000.00 into it but will maintain well and I know what I replaced I work at an auto shop so parts cheep

over all I like the driver visibility and compact. The little 4 cyl is peepy but kid will be safe good driver.

make window sun blockes out of something more tough all the junk yards Ive been to there all warn out or rotted