Used 1993 Nissan Altima GLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

1993 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Few minor issues, otherwise great car
By Kishlak

1993 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I had good experience with my 1993 Nissan Altima despite its age. I drove in all weather, snow, ice, mountains, forests and was impressed with its performance for an ordinary 2 wheel drive car. This is the first generation of this model, which I believe is one of the best ones built by Nissan.

Favorite Features

Reliability, powerful enough with manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

I had to replace fuel pump twice within one year. Also, the ignition switch wears off quickly having poor contact. this needs to be improved. It is hard to find replacement part, even aftermarket one.

Great Car
By Altima.Own-GLE

1993 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a priest for $7,800 w/ 78,000 miles. This car also had the on screen display (which puts your speed on the windshield). This car was great. I sold it in 2002 w/ 124,000 miles b/c I wanted a 4wd for the snow. For approx. 50,000 miles and 5 years, the car was wonderful. There was nothing out of the ordinary. Excellent & always reliable.However, when I was selling it, they found a $1,000 oil leak that was "normal for Altimas." Either way - the oil leak was minor and the car was fantastic. It was my first & certainly won't be my last. Nissan is great & I plan on getting the 350z Roadster. I will be a customer for life.

Favorite Features

Reliable - Great car - I loved the on screen display (puts the speedometer on the windshield). Excellent - & it looked great with the 5 spoke alloy wheels & the wood trim. All around - great, fast, reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

Great Car - no substantial complaints!

Very good cheap car
By J-mike

1993 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from the Nissan dealership as the 2nd owner for only $5500 with 99K miles on it. The first owner had the extended 100K mile warranty and bought a new Maxima. It's been a little over 2 year's and i have doubled the vehicle mileage to 200K miles and the thing still goes strong. The engine is great. Runs like a champ and starts every time. Have had problems though. The timing chain went bad around 142K and was expensive at $1100. WARNING. Make sure the timing chain is fixed preferebly by Nissan as a shade tree job can end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

Favorite Features

I love the interior design ie leather/wood. Makes you feel like you've bought something like an ES 300. The drive isn't bad at all either. As long as the tires are good and the vehicle is aligned properly you could do 90mph all day with no prob except for law enforcement.

Suggested Improvements

I really hated the cupholders. Right in front of the radio. I wish they didn't blow up the new Altima and the 98 version is not very attractive. Plus, why no retained power accessories (radio, windows)?

good to me for many years
By xrv

1993 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I have had the pleasure of driving this vehicle for 10 years now and it has shown me nothing but good times. I have made sure I have kept up with the maintenance and thusly have had little or noe problem. It is sneaky fast often underestimated for its accelaration.Even to this day it still has enough power to have fun with.I still enjoy driving it everyday.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the sound system and the heads up display.Also can I say it again the acceleration.One other thing is that once you are going about 50mph the transition to pass is too fun to ignore.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can say is that the ac crapped out about 2 years ago.Maybe could use a little bit bogger of a pass thru from the trunk to the back seat.

Not so good experience
By jhooda

1993 Nissan Altima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Radiator Leakage: The plastic radiator seam opened up near the cap, requiring new radiator @ 110K. Power Antenna: Stopped working @ 115K. Am/Fm/Cd dash lights no longer work Water Pump: Original corroded and damaged belts too @ 125K. Distributor: Changed at 144K. Timing chain noise: Fixed at 145K Power steering hose leakage at all of the joins around 130K

Favorite Features

Reflective speedometer at windshild, more leg room, power, handling is one of the best I know of

Suggested Improvements

PCV should be as easy to replace as in the most other car designs. (Dealer charges $250 for this replacement.) Similarly, the overall design of the engine is such that the simple DIY replaceble stuff is surprisingly made difficult and complicated leading to expesive maintenance.