2010 Nissan Altima Hybrid Consumer Review: Altima Hybrid better than Camr

2010 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Review

Altima Hybrid better than Camry Hybrid
By vsimeonov on

2010 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2010 Altima Hybrid drives like a real car (198 hp tend to do that) without the hybrid sluggishness or hesitation. I also test drove a 2010 Camry Hybrid and was disappointed. Its sluggish acceleration, noticeable interaction between the gasoline and electric motor and cheap interior doomed a purchase I was sold on by my research. Toyota has been slipping for about 5 years now but this was a surprise. Then I decided to try the 2010 Altima Hybrid, loved it and bought it. The two cars have identical hybrid technology, except the electric motor and batteries are Nissan's. The Altima's 2.5L engine is also superior to the aging 2.4L of the Camry. I gave the Altima a chance and it simply won out.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, responsiveness, yet fantasic gas mileage (36 mpg average so far); Overall build quality (JD Power's highest initial quality award is no fluke on this one); Great exterior design; Classy interior materials; Dual climate control; Legroom and Headroom.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk (it is not bad but more is better); Speed sensitive volume in the base audio system (the lack of it doesn't bother me as much as I thought because the car is very quiet even at freeway speeds); Slightly bigger electric motor (65-70 hp) to pick up the initial acceleration to, say, 45 mph.