Used 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (32 reviews )

New Owner
By Ralph

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very good driving experience so far;1800 miles, with one 600 mile road trip. Car has convenience package with electric driver seat, cloth interior (preferred over leather). Smooth, quiet ride, with easy and responsive handling. Size of car is comfortable for family of four on a short to medium trip, so far. MPG so far; low 29, high 34 mpg.

Favorite Features

Power driver seat. Telescoping and tilting steering wheel. Closeness and arrangement of center stack for adjusting A/C, radio, CD.

Suggested Improvements

Separate the adjustment mechanism for tilt and telescoping steering wheel into two levers or handles. Current one-lever/handle is cumbersome to use, and almost unusable while driving.

Stay away from Nissan
By Miguel

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Extremely disappointed - first and last Nissan. Vehicle initially worked fine for first month than began to shake violently when going into EV mode. Dealer "fixed" it but now it will not drive in EV Mode. Been back to two separate dealers both of which say its normal. First said it has "learned" my driving habits so it won't drive in EV the second claims EV does not work when the air conditioning is on (doesn't seem to work with it off) 6,000 miles on it and am ready to unload it.

Favorite Features

Style, comfort and price.

Suggested Improvements

Hybrid system

Awesome car
By Clifee

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thought I was going to buy a 2010 Prius. I was just waiting for the right one to become available when I happened upon the Altima Hybrid. What a stroke of luck! It is so much more car for less money, as it turned out. The Altima I got is fully loaded, and is a GREAT car. It drives beautifully, with power when you need it, and little road noise, lots of comfort and great handling. I marvel at the technology that has gone into this car. Truly remarkable. I highly recommend this car to anyone considering a hybrid. At least give it a test drive! The mileage is pretty good (35 mpg so far), and the tax incentives are great $2350 federal, and $1500 state (OR). Nissan is making great deals now.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, pep, amazing technology, stereo, leather interior, nice exterior, keyless system.

Suggested Improvements

Sell it in more states.

GREAT Car
By SO Happy

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Honestly one of the best "eco" cars we looked at. After considering a Prius and a Jetta TDI, we went with the Altima and could not be happier. Although the fuel economy of the prius would have been better, it doesn't have the comfort or size that the Altima has. BOSE audio sounds great and is the best audio system of all the others we looked at. Altima also handles and drives better overall than any other hybrid we looked at. Overall, we could not be happier with the Altima because of its great performance and how fun it is to drive!

Favorite Features

Performance, bluetooth, BOSE audio, interior quality.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk, memory seat, download phone book for bluetooth.

A big & tall persons fun hybrid
By Mr G.

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am a new owner and very pleased with first month of driving. I am 6'5" an 275# - too big for most cars and so have been driving vans/pickups - but I tried an Altima at an autoshow and found I fit great in this car. I have only owned for a short time but so far the Altima Hybrid performs well, has a quiet comfortable ride, gets good mileage (now averaging 31+mpg driving aggressive) , it seems to have good build quality/materials - I got convenience package only. I also think it is remarkably fun to drive - far more sporty and quick than my wife's non-hybrid 4-cyl Accord. Also runs in whisper quiet EV mode up to around 25-30mph - which is lots of fun on twisty rural backroads.

Favorite Features

best leg room/head room combo in a mid-size sedan, fun to drive, smart key is nice, EV mode has good torque and is silent. Green & fun.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had twice as powerful an electric motor so the cutover to gas was even less needed. Nissan would probably need to go to Li-Ion batteries to do that - but that would make it a *really* sporty greenmobile.