Used 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (32 reviews )

My, how far cars have come!
By PR Gomez

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a NAH coming off rental (Budget) with 32k miles for less than $16k, to replace a 12 year old Ford Contour V6 (stick). The NAH is bigger, peppier (0- 60 in 7.5 vs. 8.5), and uses less gas (averaging 35 mpg in Chicago driving). It also almost cost less. One year of abuse by multiple drivers doesn't seem to have caused any damage. It still glides effortlessly until I step on it, and then it "moos" forward (it doesn't "roar" exactly) like it's got a rocket on its rear. Great fun to drive around the Mississippi bluffs, especially when passing slowpokes in two-lane highways (60-80 in about 2 sec). I feel like installing a bumper sticker saying: "You Were Just Passed by a Hybrid."

Favorite Features

The hybrid transmission. Did you know it has two electric motor/generators and a double controller? AC is also fed by the traction battery so there's no drag. My car is a base model and still has all the important features standard. I use the GPS from my iPhone, mounted on the windshield.

Suggested Improvements

The dashboard is stylish but I wish it had a flat spot somewhere so I could stick my iPhone there. Try to place the batteries under the trunk floor. The 12 V battery could also be relocated to a place under the hood and gain some space.

Best I Ever Owned
By Chris M

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm not one to post reviews about things i buy or have, but once i bought this car i knew I had to let people know that one. It's a great Hybrid and well built too. Very good on gas. I have the fully loaded one so it's very comfortable And last but least IT'S A NISSAN. So it will last a life time five stars all the way!

Favorite Features

I love the fact that it has the push button feature

Suggested Improvements

It's perfect the way it is

Great Car!!
By Hnotts123

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 5 months and 5000 miles, the altima has really served us well. We have been averaging around 33.8 mpg, which is a bit below par, but much better than the previous cars we have driven. Acceleration and pickup is sporty for a hybrid and the ride is very smooth. The mpg does take a hit in the winter when the heater is turned on, but with careful driving it can be offset. Nissan always provides solid and reliable vehicles and this one is no different. The navigation is a gem and has helped us get too many destinations. The leather seats are very comfortable and the bluetooth has been flawless as well. Initially it is hard to adjust to the smart key but you get used too it after a while.

Favorite Features

Turn signals on mirror, smart key and push button start, navigation system, bluetooth, leather seats, gauge cluster, trip computer, 6 disc changer. Attractive sporty exterior. The improved gas mileage. Push buttons on the doors and trunk.

Suggested Improvements

How could there be no fog lights as a option at the least? HID headlights also need to be on the option list. Although the trunk has been manageable, a little more space would be preferred. Power passenger seat. Only when the key is right next to the door does it work.

problem with heating
By Phyllis Fischer

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Total experience was excellent for the first 2 months, at which time the heating for the floor stopped working; the face and defroster are okay. It was in the shop twice and was told that nothing is wrong; they put it up to 90 and it seemed to be okay; but the next time we drove, it was still cold! Where do I turn now?

Favorite Features

excellent gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

fix the heating system

2 years later and still happy
By Dave

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After having the car for 21 months I am still pleased with my choice. I have a mixed highway/city street commute and am much less stressed knowing that I am in EV Mode when in heavy traffic. People are still amazed that a hybrid does not have to be a Prius - even Prius drivers. The car does well on long trips as well. My only problem after 2 years is the Aux Input on the stereo has stopped working. Love the power seats, stereo, and large buttons. Plenty of storage reachable by the driver! My long legged teens say the back seat is comfortable too on long drives. The swing from summer MPG to winter MPG is dramatic (I turn the heat off a lot - it has more impact than the AC in summer).

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy, stereo with BIG buttons

Suggested Improvements

Use leather or vinyl for armrests and door handles in non-leather models. Find different battery configuration to get more trunk space. Sturdier Aux input plug in stereo.