2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Consumer Review: My, how far cars have come!

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Review

My, how far cars have come!
By PR Gomez on

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a NAH coming off rental (Budget) with 32k miles for less than $16k, to replace a 12 year old Ford Contour V6 (stick). The NAH is bigger, peppier (0- 60 in 7.5 vs. 8.5), and uses less gas (averaging 35 mpg in Chicago driving). It also almost cost less. One year of abuse by multiple drivers doesn't seem to have caused any damage. It still glides effortlessly until I step on it, and then it "moos" forward (it doesn't "roar" exactly) like it's got a rocket on its rear. Great fun to drive around the Mississippi bluffs, especially when passing slowpokes in two-lane highways (60-80 in about 2 sec). I feel like installing a bumper sticker saying: "You Were Just Passed by a Hybrid."

The hybrid transmission. Did you know it has two electric motor/generators and a double controller? AC is also fed by the traction battery so there's no drag. My car is a base model and still has all the important features standard. I use the GPS from my iPhone, mounted on the windshield.

The dashboard is stylish but I wish it had a flat spot somewhere so I could stick my iPhone there. Try to place the batteries under the trunk floor. The 12 V battery could also be relocated to a place under the hood and gain some space.