2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (32 reviews )
150,000 and still going strong!
By dkb1028 on 11/04/13 12:23 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my hybrid in June of 2009 and as you can see by my mileage, practically live in it. It is a die hard. I have put on 2 sets of tires, but only one set of brakes and as of six weeks ago I'm no where near having to replace what the brakes. I drive in the mountains and on highways, so this car has seen just about everything. The only negative is the gas mileage. The difference between a regular Altima and what I had to pay for the hybrid will never be realized. In addition, oil changes and maintenance are a lot more. Would I buy another hybrid? Probably not. Would I buy another Altima? Yes.

Good car with some issues
By mmao on 10/23/12 09:21 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's a good car, with excellent MPG - I can get 37/g except in winter. How ever there are some issues. Internal design looks cheap, the Panic button is annoying (it's so easy for the horn to shout out). And just got an issue with the ignition switch: I could not start engine some times, and I was told I need $600.0 to get it fixed by the dealer!

No complaints after nearly three years
By tomsan on 02/29/12 20:29 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had our 2009 NAH since June 2009. The on-board computer for mileage runs high, as many have noted. I just completed tallying my mileage after recording miles and gallons at each fill-up. After 24,000 miles, I have averaged 34.74 mpg, through all seasons, right in line with EPA estimates. With gas here at $4.20/gallon, I'm feeling fine. Overall, it runs like any gas-powered car. The shift from gas to electric is very mild and not an issue. The rest of the car is quite fine: good comfort, good power, good feeling of safety. Yes, the trunk is a bit small but that's the price for a hybrid. And I LOVE the fact that it goes into electric at the VERY long stoplights where I live.

Great Eco-Friendly Ride
By newhampster on 11/22/11 17:47 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a NAH in late 2009, and it just clocked 36,000 miles. It has been a great car. Although the MPG not quite as high as the Honda Civic previous car, the joy factor with this car is much higher. Very comfortable, solid handling, very peppy, and better in snow. Averaging about 35 MPG in NH summer and 31 MPG in winter -- EVT takes quite a while to activate in winter due to battery temperature sensor. Make sure there is a Nissan Hybrid authorized repair technician in your area; normal technicians are not allowed to work on NAHs.

26K Miles, Not 1 Problem
By lionnation on 04/29/11 20:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a silver/black 2009 NAH loaded w/every option Dec 09; sticker was just under $35K. After dealer, manufacturer, and tax breaks, paid about $26.5K! The car is solid, comfortable, supportive for a 6'2", 200-lb frame driver. I still can't believe the great acceleration. And the gas mileage is getting better. Just got back from a trip which is optimal for maximizing gas mileage, averaging 55 MPH, got 44.5 MPG on 108 mile trip! The NAV is good, but not great. The BOSE sound system is very good. I had an 06 Civic Hybrid, which I liked but it was too hard on my back (old lumbar injury), so upgraded to this heavier hybrid, and sometimes I feel like it's a Cadillac in terms of ride quality.

My, how far cars have come!
By PR Gomez on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a NAH coming off rental (Budget) with 32k miles for less than $16k, to replace a 12 year old Ford Contour V6 (stick). The NAH is bigger, peppier (0- 60 in 7.5 vs. 8.5), and uses less gas (averaging 35 mpg in Chicago driving). It also almost cost less. One year of abuse by multiple drivers doesn't seem to have caused any damage. It still glides effortlessly until I step on it, and then it "moos" forward (it doesn't "roar" exactly) like it's got a rocket on its rear. Great fun to drive around the Mississippi bluffs, especially when passing slowpokes in two-lane highways (60-80 in about 2 sec). I feel like installing a bumper sticker saying: "You Were Just Passed by a Hybrid."

Best I Ever Owned
By Chris M on 08/25/10 06:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm not one to post reviews about things i buy or have, but once i bought this car i knew I had to let people know that one. It's a great Hybrid and well built too. Very good on gas. I have the fully loaded one so it's very comfortable And last but least IT'S A NISSAN. So it will last a life time five stars all the way!

Great Car!!
By Hnotts123 on 04/17/10 21:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 5 months and 5000 miles, the altima has really served us well. We have been averaging around 33.8 mpg, which is a bit below par, but much better than the previous cars we have driven. Acceleration and pickup is sporty for a hybrid and the ride is very smooth. The mpg does take a hit in the winter when the heater is turned on, but with careful driving it can be offset. Nissan always provides solid and reliable vehicles and this one is no different. The navigation is a gem and has helped us get too many destinations. The leather seats are very comfortable and the bluetooth has been flawless as well. Initially it is hard to adjust to the smart key but you get used too it after a while.

problem with heating
By Phyllis Fischer on 03/27/10 19:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Total experience was excellent for the first 2 months, at which time the heating for the floor stopped working; the face and defroster are okay. It was in the shop twice and was told that nothing is wrong; they put it up to 90 and it seemed to be okay; but the next time we drove, it was still cold! Where do I turn now?

2 years later and still happy
By Dave on 03/01/10 13:36 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After having the car for 21 months I am still pleased with my choice. I have a mixed highway/city street commute and am much less stressed knowing that I am in EV Mode when in heavy traffic. People are still amazed that a hybrid does not have to be a Prius - even Prius drivers. The car does well on long trips as well. My only problem after 2 years is the Aux Input on the stereo has stopped working. Love the power seats, stereo, and large buttons. Plenty of storage reachable by the driver! My long legged teens say the back seat is comfortable too on long drives. The swing from summer MPG to winter MPG is dramatic (I turn the heat off a lot - it has more impact than the AC in summer).

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan in VA is:

$126 per month*