Used 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (60 reviews )

Loved it for 5 days!
By Jim Warrick

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been researching different vehicles to buy for some time with particular interest in hybrid technology. I enjoy driving but wanted to save gas, I didn't necessarily care if it cost me more to save gas. I would rather spend the money on the car than give it to OPEC and contribute to the myriad of problems we have in the world today. Test driving the car was great, first few days of ownership, great! Now the service engine light is on, not great. I'm told I have to take a day off and possibly leave it overnight. Really not great. So much for Nissan reliability!

Nav packages gets you everything you could ever want! The back-up camera, bluetooth, and Bose sound is awesome! Comfortable, uber adjustable, supportive driver's seat. Great AC!

Reliability, reliability, reliability! No one should only get one week of fun in their super expensive car. Free rental car when your $35,000 car craps out. Better cornering, this is a weak area.

being Green is fun
By Barbara

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had None of the problems listed in other reviews. Car stays in electric mode even over 35/mph at times. No brake noises. Fits even the tall people in my family. do not have high tech package but the regular stuff is fine. Comfortable seats, ride etc. More gas is used if needed heat or air conditioner otherwise It sips and I can go more than 2 weeks before needing gas.

plenty of zip getting on a highway and it's so quiet.

Not all of Nissan's dealer mechanics know what they are doing. If you have a problem look for another mechanic.

Use This Car For What It's Intended
By Michael Tonelli

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car because the $4.50/gal gas prices were worrying me. I assumed they would only go higher. The tax credit was a huge incentive. I chose this car because it was the "sportiest" choice of the hybrid vehicles on the market. While it can set you back in the seat, it has some quirks too. The mpg are disappointing, but not terrible. The best I can do is low 30's. The regenerative braking system feels "grabby" when rolling to a slow stop. There is something wrong with the driver's seat. It pops when your weight shifts in turns. Dealership worked on it and it's better, but not completely gone. But mostly, use it for long distance commuting. I don't drive far enough to justify the price

Keyless fob that stays in your pocket. Just push the button on the handle to unlock the car. Steering mounted audio controls. Ample power when needed. One touch power windows driver and passenger side. Automatic on/off headlights. Driving in "stealth" mode at slow speeds with the engine off.

Smoother braking system. Retractable side mirrors. Less aggressive power application when stepping on throttle (the supplemental power pours on if you hit a bump and accidentally push on the throttle a little harder. All of a sudden you start launching forward).

fuel economy?
By azdriver

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

(this review is for a fully loaded 2008 hybrid) I guess I got the lemon. I get maybe 31 in the winter time, running on cruise control between traffic lights minimize fuel consumption. Now, at 105F outside, I'm lucky to get 27 - on mostly mixed freeway/city. Something must be bad - likely the battery pack. Blew an A/C hose o-ring at about 1 year, the single sided bolted joint at the top rear of the engine compartment must have worked itself loose.

XM radio. OK, there is no deep bass out of the system, but it still sound pretty darn good.

The A/C climate control software must have been written by a drunken monkey. The recirc turns itself off constantly - likely so they can sell more of those "cabin filters". I don't want to smell the cigarette of the guy in front of me, plus I don't see the point of cooling 100F+ air rather than 78F.

Yearling
By KP

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Commute about 55miles/day. Had a Toyota Highlander which I loved. Gas creeping up so I looked at the Hybrids. The rebate influenced my decision to buy the Altima. Was worried about how I would enjoy driving it as I loved the Highlander, but the Altima has not disappointed. My commute is a combination of highway and town driving I am averaging 37mpg (the computer) actual is about 2mpg less. This took a year to achieve. Winter dropped to 30 mpg. Zippy, comfortable, the Bose system is disappointing, and it's nice to drive a car not an SUV - Winter posed a bit of a problem, will buy snow tires for next year. I live in a very hilly area in CT. Slip control GREAT! The dog loves it too!

Comfort, driving performance, slip control, and the gas mileage has really helped my budget.

Sound system, already had to have mine replaced,