Used 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (59 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Use This Car For What It's Intended
By Michael Tonelli

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car because the $4.50/gal gas prices were worrying me. I assumed they would only go higher. The tax credit was a huge incentive. I chose this car because it was the "sportiest" choice of the hybrid vehicles on the market. While it can set you back in the seat, it has some quirks too. The mpg are disappointing, but not terrible. The best I can do is low 30's. The regenerative braking system feels "grabby" when rolling to a slow stop. There is something wrong with the driver's seat. It pops when your weight shifts in turns. Dealership worked on it and it's better, but not completely gone. But mostly, use it for long distance commuting. I don't drive far enough to justify the price

Favorite Features

Keyless fob that stays in your pocket. Just push the button on the handle to unlock the car. Steering mounted audio controls. Ample power when needed. One touch power windows driver and passenger side. Automatic on/off headlights. Driving in "stealth" mode at slow speeds with the engine off.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother braking system. Retractable side mirrors. Less aggressive power application when stepping on throttle (the supplemental power pours on if you hit a bump and accidentally push on the throttle a little harder. All of a sudden you start launching forward).

Not Bad . . but Pricey
By tjf

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

18 Month Update - Pros: - Nice sporty & aggressive profile - OK gas mileage on open road (mid 30's)- Clean looks inside - Very roomy front & back. - Cons: (TTT)Terribly tiny trunk - when cold lousy gas mileage(in mid- No folding back seat - high 20's)not acceptable for the price. - Tech package nice but Nav just OK - not intuitive -backup cam great when back windshield fogged up. - Sometimes start button doesn't start the system/engine ? ? ? even when clearly depressing the brake pedal requirement) - Black trim beneath front bumper got torn off by an average parking cement block. - Can't seem to upload my cell phonebook - No success programming garage door opener on mirror. - No ala carte.

Favorite Features

Nav system & bluetooth - backup camera ( I've come to appreciate this in winter rains & steamed-up back windows.

Suggested Improvements

Reloacte battery to allow fold-down rear seats - Pruis can do this.

So far, so good
By Leslee in Tucson

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's been a little over 2 years since I purchased Blondie ( named for the "blond" leather interior). No major problems to deal with, so far, so good. I do mixed freeway/city driving. In Tucson's heat, using the A/C which works great here in AZ by the way, I get 31 mpg. In our milder winters, I've been getting 34 mpg. The mpg are a slight disappointment but still better than 14 yr old Volvo. Still love the look, acceleration and roomy interior. Still not used to door locking system or less tight turning ability (is that torque?) Nervous about future cost to replace cell. Small trunk no problem; no kids and not much travel. So far, so good.

Favorite Features

The exterior has a nice sporty look. Very happy with blond leather interior; very comfy for front psgrs. The A/C is awesome, even in Arizona summers. Garage remote is great. And, I like the driver finger controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Still don't like logic behind the door locking/system, compared to my old Volvo. Also, doesn't make the tight turns, for parking etc, as the old Volvo. The sound system is ok. I start to get dashboard vibrations at level 6 volume.Luckily, I listen to talk radio more than music. Gas mileage is fair.

being Green is fun
By Barbara

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had None of the problems listed in other reviews. Car stays in electric mode even over 35/mph at times. No brake noises. Fits even the tall people in my family. do not have high tech package but the regular stuff is fine. Comfortable seats, ride etc. More gas is used if needed heat or air conditioner otherwise It sips and I can go more than 2 weeks before needing gas.

Favorite Features

plenty of zip getting on a highway and it's so quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Not all of Nissan's dealer mechanics know what they are doing. If you have a problem look for another mechanic.

Altima hybrid-performance car.
By HEV Performance car

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My brother had this car for a while. I drove it too. With really aggressive driving it gets about 30MPG while if you drive normally you will get like 35 combined. This car is almost as fast as 2006 Nissan 350Z, faster then Lexus 330 SUV. So far no problems, the car is reliable including some couple of thousands mountain driving.

Favorite Features

Navi, instant MPG!

Suggested Improvements

Make it a plugable car with like 40 Miles of EV mode. Oh, Volt should to that! I meant PHEV when writing plugable! Also improve MPG to like AVG 41MPG. Why not try to out run Fusion hybrid?