Used 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (59 reviews )

being Green is fun
By Barbara

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had None of the problems listed in other reviews. Car stays in electric mode even over 35/mph at times. No brake noises. Fits even the tall people in my family. do not have high tech package but the regular stuff is fine. Comfortable seats, ride etc. More gas is used if needed heat or air conditioner otherwise It sips and I can go more than 2 weeks before needing gas.

plenty of zip getting on a highway and it's so quiet.

Not all of Nissan's dealer mechanics know what they are doing. If you have a problem look for another mechanic.

Use This Car For What It's Intended
By Michael Tonelli

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car because the $4.50/gal gas prices were worrying me. I assumed they would only go higher. The tax credit was a huge incentive. I chose this car because it was the "sportiest" choice of the hybrid vehicles on the market. While it can set you back in the seat, it has some quirks too. The mpg are disappointing, but not terrible. The best I can do is low 30's. The regenerative braking system feels "grabby" when rolling to a slow stop. There is something wrong with the driver's seat. It pops when your weight shifts in turns. Dealership worked on it and it's better, but not completely gone. But mostly, use it for long distance commuting. I don't drive far enough to justify the price

Keyless fob that stays in your pocket. Just push the button on the handle to unlock the car. Steering mounted audio controls. Ample power when needed. One touch power windows driver and passenger side. Automatic on/off headlights. Driving in "stealth" mode at slow speeds with the engine off.

Smoother braking system. Retractable side mirrors. Less aggressive power application when stepping on throttle (the supplemental power pours on if you hit a bump and accidentally push on the throttle a little harder. All of a sudden you start launching forward).

fuel economy?
By azdriver

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

(this review is for a fully loaded 2008 hybrid) I guess I got the lemon. I get maybe 31 in the winter time, running on cruise control between traffic lights minimize fuel consumption. Now, at 105F outside, I'm lucky to get 27 - on mostly mixed freeway/city. Something must be bad - likely the battery pack. Blew an A/C hose o-ring at about 1 year, the single sided bolted joint at the top rear of the engine compartment must have worked itself loose.

XM radio. OK, there is no deep bass out of the system, but it still sound pretty darn good.

The A/C climate control software must have been written by a drunken monkey. The recirc turns itself off constantly - likely so they can sell more of those "cabin filters". I don't want to smell the cigarette of the guy in front of me, plus I don't see the point of cooling 100F+ air rather than 78F.

Yearling
By KP

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Commute about 55miles/day. Had a Toyota Highlander which I loved. Gas creeping up so I looked at the Hybrids. The rebate influenced my decision to buy the Altima. Was worried about how I would enjoy driving it as I loved the Highlander, but the Altima has not disappointed. My commute is a combination of highway and town driving I am averaging 37mpg (the computer) actual is about 2mpg less. This took a year to achieve. Winter dropped to 30 mpg. Zippy, comfortable, the Bose system is disappointing, and it's nice to drive a car not an SUV - Winter posed a bit of a problem, will buy snow tires for next year. I live in a very hilly area in CT. Slip control GREAT! The dog loves it too!

Comfort, driving performance, slip control, and the gas mileage has really helped my budget.

Sound system, already had to have mine replaced,

Best Performing Hybrid Sedan
By SonicAgamemnon

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Test drove the Fusion, Camry and Prius hybrids and concluded the Altima was the best overall performing hybrid in the group, with the best balance between fuel economy, driving performance and comfort. Although the Prius stands above the group in fuel economy, it fell quickly behind in other areas during my test drive. The Altima has the best merge/pass performance, lowest cabin noise, and the best cornering and general handling in the group. Fully dressed, all of these vehicles are priced about the same, with similar rebates and financing, and the same warranty coverages. It's nice to simply test drive them all on the same day and decide based mostly on that alone.

Good engine performance and even better handling for a hybrid; excellent build quality and reliability; good comfort level inside; XM traffic navigation is nice; the rear-view mode is also very handy.

Long term fixes should include a stronger electric motor for even better 0-60 performance and fuel economy, and a full plug-in Altima. Short term fixes should include power seats for the passenger side with memory for both seats, a better security system, and pre-wired support for fog lights.