2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (59 reviews )
Like it lots, despite a few problems
By researchqueen on 04/02/09 16:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had my Altima Hybrid for 10 months and really enjoy driving it. It's got great pick-up, feels like it was made to suit me physically, and looks great. The fuel economy is sub-par -- averaging 30mpg mostly in city driving, which means I'm paying a lot for a hybrid that isn't performing as expected. I initially had to have the 12v battery replaced, then the headliner. Now there's an issue with the engine control module and the NAV system (which I don't find particularly intuitive). Despite all this, really enjoy driving it and despite the smaller cargo capacity, it can hold pretty much whatever I need it to and seats three kids well in the back. Still a great combo of practicality and fun

one year old!
By steve suher on 03/04/09 17:51 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Actually, I have two NAH's, both purchased March 07. I have loaded one with tech package, roof, etc., now have 34,000 miles, my wife's slightly loaded, she has approx 6000 miles. MPG as expected, for my car up until winter was averaging 34 - 35 mpg (mostly hwy driving) My wife's car, slightly better (more (suburban stop & go). I do keep very accurate gas records so these figures are actual consumption, not per computer (which is always higher by 5 to 7% MPG dropped to around 30 mpg for both vehicles, I suppose winter fuel and cold weather negatively impact mpg. Otherwise, no issues at all, very pleased with both vehicles.

Think twice -- hybrid?
By Mary Brennan on 02/17/09 10:06 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I like the car overall but am extremely disappointed with the gas mileage - 26 mpg in the city. When I took it in for the six month oil change, the service tech told me if the mileage didn't improve by the next change he would look into it. Today, a different service tech tells me that those numbers (29 to 41 mpg) are only estimates. Given that I'm averaging more than 10% less than the low side of the estimate, I consider my car a gas "lemon."

Six Months and Still Loving it
By Dave on 01/26/09 14:18 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Replaced 1999 Taurus with NAH as primarily a commuter car. 22 miles each way 50-50 split highway/city. During the summer enjoyed 37-39 mpg, but when it got cold - mileage crashed to 30-32 mpg. Have Convenience package - Tech package too much money and what I wanted was the power seat any way. Great seat comfort on long drives; but even though I knew it, the trunk size can be painful. Did not expect car to be conversation piece - many people commenting on a hybrid that is not small or looks like a car. Even Prius owners have admired the car. I love the fact that for a comparable sized car I am using 4 to 6 less gallons a week!

16000 Miles So Far So Good
By Ed Foss on 01/21/09 15:21 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I commute 104 miles everyday, with lots of stop and go traffic. The Altima Hybrid has been a terrific commuter car, averaging 33 mpg for 16000 miles. The car is near luxury and near high performance. Not bad for a green hybrid! Some minor upgrades would make the car closer to a true luxury sedan, but the car won't ever be a high performance sedan. However, it's still fun to drive, with very good steering and handling, with acceptable power.

6-Month Update on my Altima Hybrid
By tjf on 12/13/08 14:47 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Total miles: 4,030. Avg mpg: 32.38. Total miles will easily double/triple in 2009. I came out of a 1999 V6 Toyota Camry. The Altima is nice but the Camry tracked and drove smoother. The power just flowed effortlessly and I could get up to 30 mpg hwy and 18-20 city. The 'premium' I paid for the Altima Hybrid has yet to be of benefit so think through your driving style and driving demands. I also considered the Ford Escape Hybrid for the huge advantage of cargo space and functionality. I decided ultimately on the better gas mileage Altima (by 3 - 5 mpg) was worth more since gas was over $4/gal at the time and there was talk of going to $5/gal. The $2350 tax credit helped the decision too.

Saving $150/month and loving it
By familyman3kids on 10/20/08 22:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I leased my pathfinder 3 years ago gas was at $2 per gallon and I never paid attention to my fuel economy. With gas over $3 I realized I was only getting 14 MPG and something had to change. We have a family of 3 little ones and are constantly taking 5-10 mile trips that involve a lot of starting and stopping. When the light changes we are usually in a rush and don't have time to drive this car conservatively - we hit the gas. We have put 985 miles on the car and are still on our second tank of gas, I have a bit less than 1/4 tank. On my first tank we averaged 28 MPG and I think we are at 30 right now. This translates to over $150/month savings on gas alone.

Great car
By leroy patterson on 10/10/08 16:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We like our car a lot. Like others say small trunk space. Was surprised at how much room in rear seat. Plenty of power. We get 29-33 mpg others say they get more, we drive 75 mph, and my wife has heavy foot.

Best of Both Worlds!
By Hospice Nurse on 10/04/08 10:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Altima Hybrid is just a great car. Love the look, I have the metallic jade green and get positive comments all the time. I'm a hospice nurse and spend my days driving to my patients' homes, so I make a lot of 5-10 mile trips and spend a lot of time in the car. I can drive it responsibly and get about 35-37 mpg, or drive it aggressively and get 30-32 mpg. Comfort is important to me and it is very quiet and comfortable. In addition to getting great mileage in town, it is a strong highway cruiser. My wife loves driving it on the highway, the acceleration is awesome. We call it the "Green Ghost."

Former Skeptic
By NEW HBD FAN on 09/24/08 18:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded in my Audi A4 for the Altima Hybrid. It's as comfortable, as quiet, as loaded with features, as beautiful... and I get 42 mpg on my 75 mile commute instead of 29 mpg on the Audi. I just set the cruise control to 65, ease up on the pedal around town, and the car does its magic. Add the regular gas instead of premium, and the $2500 tax credit, and I'm saving a lot of money. OK, I give up something on zip and handling, but I definitely gain something just knowing I'm not spending all that money on gas and supporting the dictators who run most of the oil producing countries... plus having a hybrid has a certain cache that makes up for the loss of the luxury car nameplate.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.