2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2008 Altima Hybrid Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (59 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Bad Company, Bad Car
By nissannever

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For Nissan Altima Hybrid owners the carbon buildup is about to hit the fan, or not, which is the problem. Be ready to spend at least $4,500 to replace the cylinder head in your car. My 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid needs a cylinder head replacement at a minimal cost of $4,500. Carbon buildup due to improper discharge is the cause. It's a design/manufacture defect known to Nissan for years and they’ve acknowledged in an internal bulletin that it is occurring in at least 1 in 4 Nissan Altima Hybrids. My Altima is within the five-year warranty period, but has 64,000 miles on it so falls just outside warranty. They won't honor the warranty and won't recall. Bad company - Bad car. Boycott Nissan.

Favorite Features

I can't point out any favorite features when my 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid runs so rough it feels constantly like it is going to stall. Nissan wants me to pay them $4,500 to fix a problem they created by putting springs in the cylinder head that are too strong. Literally, highway robbery.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan Motor Company could take more responsibility for their manufacturing and design flaws, like Toyota does, rather than trying to hide them. This is a company that is not to be trusted.

So far, so good
By Leslee in Tucson

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's been a little over 2 years since I purchased Blondie ( named for the "blond" leather interior). No major problems to deal with, so far, so good. I do mixed freeway/city driving. In Tucson's heat, using the A/C which works great here in AZ by the way, I get 31 mpg. In our milder winters, I've been getting 34 mpg. The mpg are a slight disappointment but still better than 14 yr old Volvo. Still love the look, acceleration and roomy interior. Still not used to door locking system or less tight turning ability (is that torque?) Nervous about future cost to replace cell. Small trunk no problem; no kids and not much travel. So far, so good.

Favorite Features

The exterior has a nice sporty look. Very happy with blond leather interior; very comfy for front psgrs. The A/C is awesome, even in Arizona summers. Garage remote is great. And, I like the driver finger controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Still don't like logic behind the door locking/system, compared to my old Volvo. Also, doesn't make the tight turns, for parking etc, as the old Volvo. The sound system is ok. I start to get dashboard vibrations at level 6 volume.Luckily, I listen to talk radio more than music. Gas mileage is fair.

Not Bad . . but Pricey
By tjf

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

18 Month Update - Pros: - Nice sporty & aggressive profile - OK gas mileage on open road (mid 30's)- Clean looks inside - Very roomy front & back. - Cons: (TTT)Terribly tiny trunk - when cold lousy gas mileage(in mid- No folding back seat - high 20's)not acceptable for the price. - Tech package nice but Nav just OK - not intuitive -backup cam great when back windshield fogged up. - Sometimes start button doesn't start the system/engine ? ? ? even when clearly depressing the brake pedal requirement) - Black trim beneath front bumper got torn off by an average parking cement block. - Can't seem to upload my cell phonebook - No success programming garage door opener on mirror. - No ala carte.

Favorite Features

Nav system & bluetooth - backup camera ( I've come to appreciate this in winter rains & steamed-up back windows.

Suggested Improvements

Reloacte battery to allow fold-down rear seats - Pruis can do this.

Altima hybrid-performance car.
By HEV Performance car

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My brother had this car for a while. I drove it too. With really aggressive driving it gets about 30MPG while if you drive normally you will get like 35 combined. This car is almost as fast as 2006 Nissan 350Z, faster then Lexus 330 SUV. So far no problems, the car is reliable including some couple of thousands mountain driving.

Favorite Features

Navi, instant MPG!

Suggested Improvements

Make it a plugable car with like 40 Miles of EV mode. Oh, Volt should to that! I meant PHEV when writing plugable! Also improve MPG to like AVG 41MPG. Why not try to out run Fusion hybrid?

Loved it for 5 days!
By Jim Warrick

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been researching different vehicles to buy for some time with particular interest in hybrid technology. I enjoy driving but wanted to save gas, I didn't necessarily care if it cost me more to save gas. I would rather spend the money on the car than give it to OPEC and contribute to the myriad of problems we have in the world today. Test driving the car was great, first few days of ownership, great! Now the service engine light is on, not great. I'm told I have to take a day off and possibly leave it overnight. Really not great. So much for Nissan reliability!

Favorite Features

Nav packages gets you everything you could ever want! The back-up camera, bluetooth, and Bose sound is awesome! Comfortable, uber adjustable, supportive driver's seat. Great AC!

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, reliability, reliability! No one should only get one week of fun in their super expensive car. Free rental car when your $35,000 car craps out. Better cornering, this is a weak area.

being Green is fun
By Barbara

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had None of the problems listed in other reviews. Car stays in electric mode even over 35/mph at times. No brake noises. Fits even the tall people in my family. do not have high tech package but the regular stuff is fine. Comfortable seats, ride etc. More gas is used if needed heat or air conditioner otherwise It sips and I can go more than 2 weeks before needing gas.

Favorite Features

plenty of zip getting on a highway and it's so quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Not all of Nissan's dealer mechanics know what they are doing. If you have a problem look for another mechanic.

Use This Car For What It's Intended
By Michael Tonelli

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car because the $4.50/gal gas prices were worrying me. I assumed they would only go higher. The tax credit was a huge incentive. I chose this car because it was the "sportiest" choice of the hybrid vehicles on the market. While it can set you back in the seat, it has some quirks too. The mpg are disappointing, but not terrible. The best I can do is low 30's. The regenerative braking system feels "grabby" when rolling to a slow stop. There is something wrong with the driver's seat. It pops when your weight shifts in turns. Dealership worked on it and it's better, but not completely gone. But mostly, use it for long distance commuting. I don't drive far enough to justify the price

Favorite Features

Keyless fob that stays in your pocket. Just push the button on the handle to unlock the car. Steering mounted audio controls. Ample power when needed. One touch power windows driver and passenger side. Automatic on/off headlights. Driving in "stealth" mode at slow speeds with the engine off.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother braking system. Retractable side mirrors. Less aggressive power application when stepping on throttle (the supplemental power pours on if you hit a bump and accidentally push on the throttle a little harder. All of a sudden you start launching forward).

fuel economy?
By azdriver

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

(this review is for a fully loaded 2008 hybrid) I guess I got the lemon. I get maybe 31 in the winter time, running on cruise control between traffic lights minimize fuel consumption. Now, at 105F outside, I'm lucky to get 27 - on mostly mixed freeway/city. Something must be bad - likely the battery pack. Blew an A/C hose o-ring at about 1 year, the single sided bolted joint at the top rear of the engine compartment must have worked itself loose.

Favorite Features

XM radio. OK, there is no deep bass out of the system, but it still sound pretty darn good.

Suggested Improvements

The A/C climate control software must have been written by a drunken monkey. The recirc turns itself off constantly - likely so they can sell more of those "cabin filters". I don't want to smell the cigarette of the guy in front of me, plus I don't see the point of cooling 100F+ air rather than 78F.

Yearling
By KP

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Commute about 55miles/day. Had a Toyota Highlander which I loved. Gas creeping up so I looked at the Hybrids. The rebate influenced my decision to buy the Altima. Was worried about how I would enjoy driving it as I loved the Highlander, but the Altima has not disappointed. My commute is a combination of highway and town driving I am averaging 37mpg (the computer) actual is about 2mpg less. This took a year to achieve. Winter dropped to 30 mpg. Zippy, comfortable, the Bose system is disappointing, and it's nice to drive a car not an SUV - Winter posed a bit of a problem, will buy snow tires for next year. I live in a very hilly area in CT. Slip control GREAT! The dog loves it too!

Favorite Features

Comfort, driving performance, slip control, and the gas mileage has really helped my budget.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system, already had to have mine replaced,

Best Performing Hybrid Sedan
By SonicAgamemnon

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Test drove the Fusion, Camry and Prius hybrids and concluded the Altima was the best overall performing hybrid in the group, with the best balance between fuel economy, driving performance and comfort. Although the Prius stands above the group in fuel economy, it fell quickly behind in other areas during my test drive. The Altima has the best merge/pass performance, lowest cabin noise, and the best cornering and general handling in the group. Fully dressed, all of these vehicles are priced about the same, with similar rebates and financing, and the same warranty coverages. It's nice to simply test drive them all on the same day and decide based mostly on that alone.

Favorite Features

Good engine performance and even better handling for a hybrid; excellent build quality and reliability; good comfort level inside; XM traffic navigation is nice; the rear-view mode is also very handy.

Suggested Improvements

Long term fixes should include a stronger electric motor for even better 0-60 performance and fuel economy, and a full plug-in Altima. Short term fixes should include power seats for the passenger side with memory for both seats, a better security system, and pre-wired support for fog lights.