Used 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (59 reviews )

Bad Company, Bad Car
By nissannever

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For Nissan Altima Hybrid owners the carbon buildup is about to hit the fan, or not, which is the problem. Be ready to spend at least $4,500 to replace the cylinder head in your car. My 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid needs a cylinder head replacement at a minimal cost of $4,500. Carbon buildup due to improper discharge is the cause. It's a design/manufacture defect known to Nissan for years and they’ve acknowledged in an internal bulletin that it is occurring in at least 1 in 4 Nissan Altima Hybrids. My Altima is within the five-year warranty period, but has 64,000 miles on it so falls just outside warranty. They won't honor the warranty and won't recall. Bad company - Bad car. Boycott Nissan.

I can't point out any favorite features when my 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid runs so rough it feels constantly like it is going to stall. Nissan wants me to pay them $4,500 to fix a problem they created by putting springs in the cylinder head that are too strong. Literally, highway robbery.

Nissan Motor Company could take more responsibility for their manufacturing and design flaws, like Toyota does, rather than trying to hide them. This is a company that is not to be trusted.

So far, so good
By Leslee in Tucson

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's been a little over 2 years since I purchased Blondie ( named for the "blond" leather interior). No major problems to deal with, so far, so good. I do mixed freeway/city driving. In Tucson's heat, using the A/C which works great here in AZ by the way, I get 31 mpg. In our milder winters, I've been getting 34 mpg. The mpg are a slight disappointment but still better than 14 yr old Volvo. Still love the look, acceleration and roomy interior. Still not used to door locking system or less tight turning ability (is that torque?) Nervous about future cost to replace cell. Small trunk no problem; no kids and not much travel. So far, so good.

The exterior has a nice sporty look. Very happy with blond leather interior; very comfy for front psgrs. The A/C is awesome, even in Arizona summers. Garage remote is great. And, I like the driver finger controls on the steering wheel.

Still don't like logic behind the door locking/system, compared to my old Volvo. Also, doesn't make the tight turns, for parking etc, as the old Volvo. The sound system is ok. I start to get dashboard vibrations at level 6 volume.Luckily, I listen to talk radio more than music. Gas mileage is fair.

Not Bad . . but Pricey
By tjf

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

18 Month Update - Pros: - Nice sporty & aggressive profile - OK gas mileage on open road (mid 30's)- Clean looks inside - Very roomy front & back. - Cons: (TTT)Terribly tiny trunk - when cold lousy gas mileage(in mid- No folding back seat - high 20's)not acceptable for the price. - Tech package nice but Nav just OK - not intuitive -backup cam great when back windshield fogged up. - Sometimes start button doesn't start the system/engine ? ? ? even when clearly depressing the brake pedal requirement) - Black trim beneath front bumper got torn off by an average parking cement block. - Can't seem to upload my cell phonebook - No success programming garage door opener on mirror. - No ala carte.

Nav system & bluetooth - backup camera ( I've come to appreciate this in winter rains & steamed-up back windows.

Reloacte battery to allow fold-down rear seats - Pruis can do this.

Altima hybrid-performance car.
By HEV Performance car

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My brother had this car for a while. I drove it too. With really aggressive driving it gets about 30MPG while if you drive normally you will get like 35 combined. This car is almost as fast as 2006 Nissan 350Z, faster then Lexus 330 SUV. So far no problems, the car is reliable including some couple of thousands mountain driving.

Navi, instant MPG!

Make it a plugable car with like 40 Miles of EV mode. Oh, Volt should to that! I meant PHEV when writing plugable! Also improve MPG to like AVG 41MPG. Why not try to out run Fusion hybrid?

Loved it for 5 days!
By Jim Warrick

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been researching different vehicles to buy for some time with particular interest in hybrid technology. I enjoy driving but wanted to save gas, I didn't necessarily care if it cost me more to save gas. I would rather spend the money on the car than give it to OPEC and contribute to the myriad of problems we have in the world today. Test driving the car was great, first few days of ownership, great! Now the service engine light is on, not great. I'm told I have to take a day off and possibly leave it overnight. Really not great. So much for Nissan reliability!

Nav packages gets you everything you could ever want! The back-up camera, bluetooth, and Bose sound is awesome! Comfortable, uber adjustable, supportive driver's seat. Great AC!

Reliability, reliability, reliability! No one should only get one week of fun in their super expensive car. Free rental car when your $35,000 car craps out. Better cornering, this is a weak area.