2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (59 reviews )
Bad Company, Bad Car
By nissannever on 02/15/13 14:52 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For Nissan Altima Hybrid owners the carbon buildup is about to hit the fan, or not, which is the problem. Be ready to spend at least $4,500 to replace the cylinder head in your car. My 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid needs a cylinder head replacement at a minimal cost of $4,500. Carbon buildup due to improper discharge is the cause. It's a design/manufacture defect known to Nissan for years and they’ve acknowledged in an internal bulletin that it is occurring in at least 1 in 4 Nissan Altima Hybrids. My Altima is within the five-year warranty period, but has 64,000 miles on it so falls just outside warranty. They won't honor the warranty and won't recall. Bad company - Bad car. Boycott Nissan.

So far, so good
By Leslee in Tucson on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's been a little over 2 years since I purchased Blondie ( named for the "blond" leather interior). No major problems to deal with, so far, so good. I do mixed freeway/city driving. In Tucson's heat, using the A/C which works great here in AZ by the way, I get 31 mpg. In our milder winters, I've been getting 34 mpg. The mpg are a slight disappointment but still better than 14 yr old Volvo. Still love the look, acceleration and roomy interior. Still not used to door locking system or less tight turning ability (is that torque?) Nervous about future cost to replace cell. Small trunk no problem; no kids and not much travel. So far, so good.

Not Bad . . but Pricey
By tjf on 03/02/10 11:24 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

18 Month Update - Pros: - Nice sporty & aggressive profile - OK gas mileage on open road (mid 30's)- Clean looks inside - Very roomy front & back. - Cons: (TTT)Terribly tiny trunk - when cold lousy gas mileage(in mid- No folding back seat - high 20's)not acceptable for the price. - Tech package nice but Nav just OK - not intuitive -backup cam great when back windshield fogged up. - Sometimes start button doesn't start the system/engine ? ? ? even when clearly depressing the brake pedal requirement) - Black trim beneath front bumper got torn off by an average parking cement block. - Can't seem to upload my cell phonebook - No success programming garage door opener on mirror. - No ala carte.

Altima hybrid-performance car.
By HEV Performance car on 01/08/10 11:38 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My brother had this car for a while. I drove it too. With really aggressive driving it gets about 30MPG while if you drive normally you will get like 35 combined. This car is almost as fast as 2006 Nissan 350Z, faster then Lexus 330 SUV. So far no problems, the car is reliable including some couple of thousands mountain driving.

Loved it for 5 days!
By Jim Warrick on 09/05/09 17:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been researching different vehicles to buy for some time with particular interest in hybrid technology. I enjoy driving but wanted to save gas, I didn't necessarily care if it cost me more to save gas. I would rather spend the money on the car than give it to OPEC and contribute to the myriad of problems we have in the world today. Test driving the car was great, first few days of ownership, great! Now the service engine light is on, not great. I'm told I have to take a day off and possibly leave it overnight. Really not great. So much for Nissan reliability!

being Green is fun
By Barbara on 08/31/09 08:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had None of the problems listed in other reviews. Car stays in electric mode even over 35/mph at times. No brake noises. Fits even the tall people in my family. do not have high tech package but the regular stuff is fine. Comfortable seats, ride etc. More gas is used if needed heat or air conditioner otherwise It sips and I can go more than 2 weeks before needing gas.

Use This Car For What It's Intended
By Michael Tonelli on 08/19/09 01:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car because the $4.50/gal gas prices were worrying me. I assumed they would only go higher. The tax credit was a huge incentive. I chose this car because it was the "sportiest" choice of the hybrid vehicles on the market. While it can set you back in the seat, it has some quirks too. The mpg are disappointing, but not terrible. The best I can do is low 30's. The regenerative braking system feels "grabby" when rolling to a slow stop. There is something wrong with the driver's seat. It pops when your weight shifts in turns. Dealership worked on it and it's better, but not completely gone. But mostly, use it for long distance commuting. I don't drive far enough to justify the price

fuel economy?
By azdriver on 07/10/09 20:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

(this review is for a fully loaded 2008 hybrid) I guess I got the lemon. I get maybe 31 in the winter time, running on cruise control between traffic lights minimize fuel consumption. Now, at 105F outside, I'm lucky to get 27 - on mostly mixed freeway/city. Something must be bad - likely the battery pack. Blew an A/C hose o-ring at about 1 year, the single sided bolted joint at the top rear of the engine compartment must have worked itself loose.

Yearling
By KP on 06/21/09 05:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Commute about 55miles/day. Had a Toyota Highlander which I loved. Gas creeping up so I looked at the Hybrids. The rebate influenced my decision to buy the Altima. Was worried about how I would enjoy driving it as I loved the Highlander, but the Altima has not disappointed. My commute is a combination of highway and town driving I am averaging 37mpg (the computer) actual is about 2mpg less. This took a year to achieve. Winter dropped to 30 mpg. Zippy, comfortable, the Bose system is disappointing, and it's nice to drive a car not an SUV - Winter posed a bit of a problem, will buy snow tires for next year. I live in a very hilly area in CT. Slip control GREAT! The dog loves it too!

Best Performing Hybrid Sedan
By SonicAgamemnon on 06/10/09 05:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Test drove the Fusion, Camry and Prius hybrids and concluded the Altima was the best overall performing hybrid in the group, with the best balance between fuel economy, driving performance and comfort. Although the Prius stands above the group in fuel economy, it fell quickly behind in other areas during my test drive. The Altima has the best merge/pass performance, lowest cabin noise, and the best cornering and general handling in the group. Fully dressed, all of these vehicles are priced about the same, with similar rebates and financing, and the same warranty coverages. It's nice to simply test drive them all on the same day and decide based mostly on that alone.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.