Used 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Nissan Altima-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (56 reviews )

First Year Delightful
By Alex in Maine

2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

To start I have to say that this is a handsome car. I have gotten a lot of feedback on the way the car looks. I also get asked about mileage (32-33 MPG on average, with about 36 MPG city and 30 MPG highway). The navigation system does not have a complete set of data and I have gotten stranded once or twice in an "incomplete mapping area". I like the color backup camera, and the Bose sound system rocks. The cruise control hesitates at times, but you get used to it . Powerful performance, feels like a good 6 cylinder at all times. Phone Bluetooth is great too and easy to set-up. In general it is a techno-guy's dream car.

Favorite Features

Performance, Bose sound system, backup camera, lumbar support. All this with good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy without sacrificing performance. Better battery (gets discharged after 1.2 miles on electrical motor. Passenger side adjustable seat and better seat controls.

Something not mentioned
By driver

2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The fuel economy is tied to the battery efficiency, and the battery efficiency is highly ambient temperature dependent. I found that below 35F I get 35 mpg as rated, worse if very cold. However above 70F I can do mid-40 mpg on the same commuting trip. My best record is ~49 mgp. That said, economically it becomes a gray area to get this hybrid if you live in a cold region and drives mostly highway, a plain Altima may come out more economical. Another thing is this car uses synthetic oil! It was such a sticker shock with my first oil change. Factor this extra cost in for a thorough car purchase evaluation.

Favorite Features

I like the compartmentalized glove compartment, it makes reaching for manual and records easier. Back support is surprisingly good.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest problem is the front view, the frame around the front windshield (left side) is very obstructing. The front seat belts are too far back and at a weird angle, I have to twist my body in a strange way to get that seat belt. Road noise is BAD, don't understand why it is rated high.

Gets better gas mileage if you drive it
By circpro

2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At first, I got around 35 MPG like most on here. I learned about hyper milers (people who get well above gas mileage by behavior or modifications.) I learned by simply accelerating slow, coasting to stops rather than braking, my mileage stays at 39-40 for city, and 36 highway. Simple laws of physics and the laws of energy and motion don't change! I love the style, ride, interior, and going 650+ miles between fill ups. I picked this car as well because it still has the $2300 federal tax rebate. It uses the Toyota 2nd gen hybrid system (same as camry) so I wasn't concerned with "new technology" When backing out of the garage in the morning, the engine starts 1/2 way and can scare you at first

Favorite Features

Mileage, style quality construction

Suggested Improvements

More options for accessories than 3 major packages. To add anything beyond basics you must spend 1000's on packages. I stuck with the 25k base model, but to get standard features on many models I would had to spend 28k. To get navigation, 31k. My garmin 550 works great with blue tooth built in.

Maximum compromise
By Dan

2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Altima Hybrid was more my wifeís insistence than my desire. Was I surprised, the style is really nice, the room is surprising, I can now easily put in the two car seats in the back seat for my grand children. The pickup was very impressive; the hybrid 2.5 has approximately 50 more horse power than the standard 2.5.I spend considerable time driving in Boston and Worcester, so city driving for me is considerable, I average about 34 mpg city, and Of course Iím always playing to keep in the EV modeÖ I own a rather large pickup truck for hauling my boat. I truly feel this vehicle sort of balances out my gas situation. I have owned this vehicle for 8 months and it keeps impressing me.

Favorite Features

My purchase of a hybrid never would have happened if I was to be stuck again in one of those small jobs, this mid size was perfect. This car does not make me feel like Dork numero uno. A bit shallow maybe, but that's the way it is. A great feature was the tax break I received back then.

Suggested Improvements

Of course better gas millage, always better gas millage... But donít compromise performance for it.

A different experience
By Interesting drive

2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded in my 2007 Sentra SE-R Spec V as the ride was getting a bit too harsh for me along with just OK fuel mileage. Liked the style of the car with the twin exhaust outlets and the spoiler certainly makes it a much more appealing car to look at as opposed the Camry in my view. Interesting ride for sure. Have never owned an automatic before (30 years plus of manual transmissions). Pushing the gas pedal gets results but sounds a little strange to begin with and feels like a rubber band is being wound up! Its nippy and no slouch though. A little jerky at constant highway speeds. Feels like I'm driving an amusement arcade what with all the lights and gadgets but very pleased with the purchase.

Favorite Features

The style. Gas mileage. Driving in EV mode at up to 40 mph. 20 gallon gas tank

Suggested Improvements

Standard Mp3 player. Better placement of the Aux jack for the ipod. Fog lights as standard. Better battery technology as it can only be run consistantly for 2 miles before the battery is depleted. Higher end stereo with better bass