Fun to drive!
By ohiodoug on
2009 Nissan 370Z 2dr Coupe (3.7L 6cyl 7A)
I bought this car in the summer of 2009 kind of on a whim. I had been wanting a sports car and it was between this and a Dodge Challenger. Well, with Chrysler bankrupt and Challenger production on hold, I looked into the Z. (As it turns out the Challenger wouldn't have fit in the garage anyway). I have this with the 7 speed auto and paddle shifters, which is almost as fun as a manual. This car is straight out fast and the tires stick like glue! If you don't push it, it actually gets pretty darn good mileage, but it's hard to refrain from excess speed. Love the control layout and info screen. I've had one problem area (see below).
Favorite Features
Straight line performance and handling. Absolutely a blast to drive and it feels really different than a 3.5 liter Altima Coupe I also test drove. The seats are actually pretty comfortable, but being my first sports car I feel like I'm sitting soooo low! Decent stereo, nice control layout.
Suggested Improvements
In terms of the design, this car just screams for a backup camera -visibility is awful. You just learn to live with it and if you have to back up, do so with care. Mechanically, I had one time (about 3 years in) wher the car acted out of fuel with almost 1/4 tank. I saw another Z owner say this, and it was a known problem with Nissan Quests. I never had a problem before even when getting the car within a gallon of empty, but since this time I make sure to fill up at 1/4 tank. I was also disappointed at the lack of an oil cooler since I was thinking about trying to autocross the car. That (along with overheating of brake fluid under extreme conditions) mean it can't be a track car.