Used 1991 Nissan 300ZX Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 300ZX model:

'91 300ZX STD
By J. Stein

1991 Nissan 300ZX Hatchback 2dr Coupe

This thing handles like no other car I've owned-put a set of sticky tires on it & give me a wicked turning road, and I'm in hog heaven. Also the advertised mileage for it, in my case at least,, is a bit low. I've seen as high as 26 mpg on road trips. Can't complain about that! I always thought this model was the sharpest looking one of the bunch, hands down.

Favorite Features

T-tops, low wide stance, always gets noticed. Not that many left. It has 295,000 miles on it and it still accelerates like a cheetah!

1991 Nissan 300zx
By colin

1991 Nissan 300ZX Hatchback 2dr Coupe

My 300zx was an amazing car!! They all are. I loved the way it performed. Even though it was a non turbo it is still pretty quick sitting at 220hp stock. I have NEVER even sat in a car that handles better than a 300zx. It just grips the road so well. Unfortunately mine was a hole in my wallet and everyone around where I live that owned one that I have talked to said the same thing. That's why I sold my baby. But if you have the money its worth the buy!!!! these cars are so much fun!!!!

Favorite Features

I loved the set up on the inside how everything is right at your finger tips. Also EVERYWHERE that I went people world stare and come up and compliment the car. Plus they are so rare people just like it even more and everyone knew it was me cause of that car.

Suggested Improvements

Mine was an auto trans and it just sucked...It rarely shifted smooth. The stock spoilers on them are just junk. I had a fiberglass look alike put on. By now the sound system is out of date. Reliability could use help. Never left me stranded though.

Awesome
By JDM Z32

1991 Nissan 300ZX Hatchback 2dr Coupe

Good performance, but I'll be twin-turbo'ing it sometime for more. Nice and low, stiff for stock (good). Handling is amazing, can't imagine how good it'll be with aftermarket coilovers. Extremely fun to drive. Very comfortable interior - only bad thing is no tilt. Requires premium fuel. 5-speed is great. Perfect shifter placement. No cup-holders, but you shouldn't need them in this car! Beautiful design. Definitely an eye-catcher (mine's red). Very light rear end and tight engine space. Great brakes. Overall a great car. Better than most sports cars I've driven. Pretty loud for a stock car. Encountering fellow Z32 owners on the road is great. Whoever said it's a Japanese supercar was right.

Favorite Features

Design, handling, performance. I would have put 11 for "Fun to Drive" if it was an option.

Suggested Improvements

None.

1991 300ZX
By Morici

1991 Nissan 300ZX Hatchback 2dr Coupe

The absolute finest automobile I'ver ever owned. Still turns head 16 years later. I've put 30,000 miles on it in 15 months and it's never failed. Gas mileage for a muscle car is very favorable at 24-25 miles hwy. City traffic is brutal, yielding only about 17 MPG. Car rides a little stiff but that is the norm for low-profile sports cars.

Favorite Features

Climate Control Glass T-Tops

Suggested Improvements

needs cup holders.

I'd like to keep this car forever
By Jphelan

1991 Nissan 300ZX Hatchback 2dr Coupe

The car has been my favorite in over 45 years of driving. It has good power...not too much, not too little. It handles beautifully, has a very nice sound system, and still looks contemporary after 12 years on the road. This is in spite of the car requiring a number of major repairs over the past two years, all due to wear or mechanical failures, not collision damage. Fuel injector rails, manual transmission, clutch, drive shaft, and even the Bose head unit have all been replaced in the past six months. It feels like new, and when I have the black trim parts replaced, the lower portion repainted, and four door dings repaired, it will look new as well.

Favorite Features

The steering feel and accuracy is outstanding. The styling beats almost anything on the road today. The engine's power and torque is more than adequate. The sound system is satisfying.

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel should be adjustable fore and aft. My right knee strikes the transmission tunnel, causing pain over a long trip. Also, the current stock Nissan brake rotors warp around 2,500 miles. Stillen rotors, pads, and stainless lines took care of the problem.