Used 1997 Nissan 240SX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Lots O Fun and reliable also
By wtboneharris

1997 Nissan 240SX SE 2dr Coupe

Ride is a little rough and loud, but it is somewhat of a sports car. The 2.5 Ltr. engine is adaquate at best. Nissan needed to offer other engines as an option. Handling is very good. This is a fun car to drive. It has the looks and reliability factor going for it. Go ahead and get one if you can. Look for a motor out of the Japanese version and drop it in. Then this would be a wonderful sports car.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling and reliability

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower and gauges instead of idiot lights

an enthusiast's car
By jmcn

1997 Nissan 240SX SE 2dr Coupe

I've owned an Integra GSR, and a Prelude SH. Both pale in comparison to the 240SX. The 240SX is hands down the most fun to drive of the three. Rear wheel drive and extremely crisp steering combine yielding an extremely fun, agile and responsive handling set-up. The car's my daily- driven race car.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Power: Needs more! Aftermarket turbo kits are available. Chassis stiffness: The 5th gen Prelude ('91-'01) has a noticeably stiffer chassis than the S14. Build quality: There are more rattles, and the interior feels quite a bit cheaper than the Prelude's or even the Integra's.

Great Car For The Money
By Scott

1997 Nissan 240SX SE 2dr Coupe

Excellent Choice in Cars Pros: -Stylish, reliable, fun to drive, handling, no back seat Cons: -Could be faster, uncomfortable on long trips, no back seat -------------------- Overall, I couldn't be happier with my 240! Extremely dependable. I've 135k miles and only problems are the front main seal and valve cover leaks, and the power steering leaks. I love the leather, white face gauges and sunroof. This car gets an average of 25-33 mpg. If you've never driven a rear wheel drive vehicle, you're missing out! THIS CAR DOES NOT HAVE CUPHOLDERS!

Favorite Features

Leather, white face guages, rear wheel drive, spoiler, sunroof, layout of interior, torquiness of engine, 25-30 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, more power.

A Blast
By Nismo240sxt

1997 Nissan 240SX SE 2dr Coupe

This car is a blast to drive from just driving daily on the city streets to autocrossing on Sudndays. This is my second 240sx that I have had and I love them!

Suggested Improvements

The only improvent I would have liked to see before they the 240sx line was ended in '98 was alittle more horsepower from the factory.

Used to have a Prelude, now have a 240SX
By brady dohrmann

1997 Nissan 240SX SE 2dr Coupe

My previous car was a 1992 Honda Prelude Si, which is a pretty good competitor for this car. The dash is simple and not overstyled (some people may dislike that), the engine it torquey and extremely reliable. The brakes are dissapointing, but they were on the Prelude as well. The engine sound is decent and I love the exhaust sound. Overall build quality is right on par with the Prelude. I autocrossed both cars and the 240SX in addition to being faster in my experience, is a lot more fun to drive. Not only is the car RWD, but it seems to suffer from chronic oversteer - it's great fun! It's an awesome touring coupe.

Favorite Features

RWD, aggressive front end, front chin spoiler on SE model, sporty seating position, precise shifter, Limited Slip Diff., nice seats, nice dash, good torque.

Suggested Improvements

More Power! With 175-195hp the 240SX would have been an animal. Other: More headroom. If I was compromising headroom for a 200hp engine, then I wouldn't say anything. ABS would be nice on all cars. My car doesn't have ABS and I have square tires as a result. That's it!