Used 1998 Nissan 200SX Base Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan 200SX - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan 200SX

View reviews for a specific 200SX model:

nissan never should have discontinued this model!
By Tom h

1998 Nissan 200SX 2dr Coupe

What their going to spend all their extra money on!

Solid Car for 10 years
By Aj

1998 Nissan 200SX 2dr Coupe

I'm the orignal owner with 105k on it so far and have had barely a single problem the car. I replaced the alternator at 56K and o/w nothing but routine maintenance. Good handling on curves and mountains. Good visibility but some wind noise. No power locks or windows to break - manual works. Smooth shifting and decent acceleration.

After 10 years, it (5-manual) gets 32-35 in the city and 40+ on the highway. Easy to park in the city.

Cheapest model, but the fronts seats are relatively uncomfortable for long drives and the back seats are quickly uncomfortable. Let the back seat fold down! Storage is severely limited.

Fun To Drive Yet Economical
By TheRussian

1998 Nissan 200SX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when I got tired of my week 2Liter Ford Escort Sport Se, and I must say this thing is awesomely powerful, even though the engine is only 1.6... I took civics and focus without much effort. I would like to get the SE-R for the 4 wheel disc breaks, more power, but at the cost of gas mileage, power windows/doors and sun/moon roof. I wouldn't mind a 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V, but they are still to expensive and most likely will be cop magnets, thats why I whant a '98 SE-R, because no one expects to much out of it. Great Car highly recommended for everyone! I Have a black car, with a custom grill, grey seat covers, the car looks awesome!

White Gauges, power for small engine, turning radious, nice sound when reving it higher then 3k RPM, plenty rear room space compared to other 2d coup's, great handling, gas millage, 28-30mpg City, easy to install a new CD player.

I have some rust on the body by passenger door, small gas tank (15gal would be better), had a problem with a vapor canister when I bought it ($300 spent to fix), paint on the car is not the best, no cruis, no power windows or doors but then again it is the base model, stick's a bit too long...

Surprisingly Fun Yet Practical Car
By ReVerm

1998 Nissan 200SX 2dr Coupe

The lightweight manual transmission base model, despite not having significant amounts of power, is still fun to drive. Although its somewhat tall stance and small brake rotors may suggest otherwise, this vehicle is capable of some very spirited driving. Interior cabin space is very good, visibility is excellent, and highway mileage is impressive (I often average 38 mpg on mostly highway driving). I would reccomend this car to younger drivers who want a fun small car that can still comfortably carry their friends and their overnight bags.

Gas mileage, cabin space, low maintenance costs, good aftermarket support for those of you who like to modify your cars.

Long shifter throw, somewhat stiff- backed front seats, engine noisier than in Honda/Toyota economy cars.

Good except for electrical glitches
By FUN200SX

I had my 98 Nissan 200SX for 5 years
and bought it new.

Problems were:
(1) Electrical glitches: cigarette
lighter doesn't work, CD eject button
only works when car is off, replace
circuit board that controls fan/AC
level, and light in automatic gear
switchbox that erratically went on and
off. Keep in mind that this is over a
5 year period, and the glitches were
fairly minor. My mother owned a 97
Altima that also had some wacky
electrical issues. Does Nissan have a
problem with this?
(2) Problems due to living in New
Orleans (with its horrible roads) and
not the fault of the car: Broken oil
pan, cracked brake drums.

Good gas mileage with a sporty feel. Rear spoiler a standard feature (since I liked it but wouldn't have payed out more money to get it as an option.) Pretty roomy for my 6'5" frame.

Irrelevant since line has been discontinued. My suggestion is that Nissan look into the "afforable coupe" market again. I had to pass them by this time since they had no sub-$25,000 Coupe (unlike Acura, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and others.)