Used 1998 Nissan 200SX Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan 200SX - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan 200SX

View reviews for a specific 200SX model:

nissan never should have discontinued this model!
By Tom h

1998 Nissan 200SX 2dr Coupe

What their going to spend all their extra money on!

Engine issues: double your budget.
By Jessie

1998 Nissan 200SX SE 2dr Coupe

My new-to-me '98 200SX SE is typical, according to local mechanics: it boasts 171,000 miles, and has needed a timing chain replacement, oil temp pressure switch, motor mounts, control arms and ball joints, and replacement of hoses etc cracked rubber bits, for a few years/couple owners before me. That timing chain SNAFU disregard nearly killed the car. I can't find anyone willing to attempt it, even for the 10hr estimate that works out to more than I paid for the car, which (at $1500) was too dear. So I've found an intact engine at a wrecking yard, and am paying a mechanic to fit it to the car.
I've driven it several times, with the bad timing and oil pressure switch, and as is the car goes from 0-60 in about a minute and a half, and that sucks a lot of fuel: ~19mi/gal. When the new engine is in play, and esp when I've got intact control arms and ball joints on the car, and matched wheels and tires, I expect 40mph, and precision awesome performance. It will be well worth the $4K I expect ultimately to have invested in the car. I'm a petite blonde, accustomed to DIY modified sports cars like Miatas and my beloved Mazda3. This car may be perfect for me, when repairs are complete. The turning radius is 34.1', which even on dead suspension makes for neat u-turns. The low stance allows for aggressive handling on freeway onramps, even with less than certain footing on bad tires and torn open ball joint boots. This tiny sexy little coupe is a hero. I hope to give it another 171K of happy motoring.

Still love my car after 11 years
By CapsHockeyFan

1998 Nissan 200SX SE 2dr Coupe

I've been very happy with this car that looks just like the one pictured :) It's going strong after 11 years and 128,000 miles, with little maintenance. I have had some minor repairs done, but it beats having to buy a new car.

my favorite features of my car are the power windows, sunroof, and spoiler

none

Great car overall
By my200sxowns

1998 Nissan 200SX SE 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for 2 years now and she's running fine so far. One of the obvious yet best things about this car is the gas mileage. When it comes to tuning, there aren't a ton of mods out there for it, but you can purchase mods for a 95-98 Sentra with the same engine size and type and it'll be fine. So far I've got a cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, and street springs. Performance was a little lackluster stock, but when modified... well, I'm left speechless. Great car and lightweight as well.

Smooth shifting (manual trans.), gas mileage, handling when cornering

Increased comfortability for seats, hydraulic clutch and shorter shifting would be very nice.

Ten Years and still going strong!
By Marty

1998 Nissan 200SX SE 2dr Coupe

I have 201,189 miles on my car. I replaced the computer chip, kind of expensive. But, overall just standard maintenance, tires, oil, brakes and 1 battery. Starts always! Not very fast, but once it gets up to speed, you can lock the cruise at 80 and go. Averages 36 mpg!! I think I will keep it until it falls apart, or 500,000 which ever comes first.

Gas mileage! Gas mileage! 36 MPG.

N/A do not make anymore, but they can be found. I might buy another for a spare!