Used 1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 200SX model:

Excellent Car!
By Joe

1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R 2dr Coupe

I bought my Nissan new in 1997 and have not had any problems since I purchased it. I now have 250,000 miles on it and it still runs great and gets 37 mpg. The car is fun to drive and would recommend it to any of my friends. I plan on keeping my Nissan as long as I can.

Favorite Features

The handling is excellent and the gas mileage is almost unbeatable.

Suggested Improvements

I do not feel that there are any improvements that should be made to this car, Nissan did a darn good job designing and building it.

a great used car
By KK33

1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R 2dr Coupe

I've put a leadfooted 94,000 miles on my '97 200SX SE-R and am more than pleased. Other than a loose wire (dash lights blink out-bang the dash they come back on), a distributor wire problem causing intermittent sluggishness, I have no complaints. Still fun to drive, still performs almost like new (not quite as perky) and I have had no engine or transmission problems. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable, compact used car for $3-5K. I plan on keeping mine for as long as I can though!

Favorite Features

Much more comfortable for a tall person inside than its competitors-especially the Celica. I'm 6-3 and a 10-hour road trip in the Nissan was much better than a 4 hour one in the Celica. It also still runs very quietly, even when I'm flooring the accelerator.

Suggested Improvements

None since Nissan discontinued the model. I hope the 350Z used a lot of what they put into the 200SX because they had a lot of good ideas. Its a shame it didn't sell well enough for them to keep.

Solid and reliable.
By nissan girl

1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R 2dr Coupe

Great car.Bought it with 40,000miles and it now has 64,000miles and I have not had a problem with it since. And even now the car is quiet and solid. No electrical problems at all. Very good on gas. And the interior of this car looks a heck of a lot nicer then newer cars. Sleak! And the seats are so cool. Very comfy! Nice sound system (for being manufacturers)

Favorite Features

A sturdy car. Great interior and exterior features. sunroof. Sound system is very nice. Great handling! Good on wet roads. Reliable and dependable. SOLID

Suggested Improvements

The Only problem I've found in my car was that the windshield seemed to be made of a softer glass, making little objects like rocks stick on it. Makes for a very bad glare.

Fun But they wont back up warranty!!
By Dale L

1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with just under 36000 miles. SE-R model has plenty of power and handles great!! Had a 60000 powertrain warranty from Nissan. Timing chain snapped at 42000 miles and blew motor on routine driving and Nissan denied to fix it because of aftermarket header!! Sorry Nissan that put a sour note in the books for me. $4200 later I sold the car.

Suggested Improvements

Besides faulty timing chain and Nissan warranty woes it was a great car!!

The most fun car I've ever owned!!
By outlaw

1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R 2dr Coupe

I bought the car brand new nearly 5 years ago. Since then the only major problem I've had a small leak that the transmission developed after 2 years. Dealership replaced the transmission seal within 2 days and I haven't been back since. The car has so much punch for it's size that people who ride it, can't believe what they see. Good handeling, great brakes, looks so sweet when polished and clean that you get compliments from strangers. Plenty of trunk space to boot!! Fuel economy could be better, but then again, the car just begs to be driven hard. I'd buy another if they still made them.

Favorite Features

Styling, handeling, interior space, wheels and sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

Side view mirros should have been heat-able and not made of a rigid frame where then can't be bent forward or backward.