Used 1996 Nissan 200SX Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 200SX model:

96 Nissan
By DJ

1996 Nissan 200SX 2dr Coupe

Excellent in reliability, fuel economy and mechanical reliability. During the past 3 years only breaks and a wiper connecting arm has been replaced. Easy access to the rear seats. Fun to drive with the manual transmission. Would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Manual Trans.

Suggested Improvements

Handling performance. Good brakes but highway performance could be more stable.

I Wuv My Little 200!
By Christen

1996 Nissan 200SX 2dr Coupe

I love my 200SX! I can count on it 100%, and it gets great mileage. I bought it in Feb. 04 with 58k Miles on it. I got in an accident in Oct, and my Altima, which I also loved, was totaled. I was determind to get another Nissan, and I bought the 200SX for $4400 in perfect condition. It may not be the fastest car on the road, but it's so reliable, and I like the clean body styling..it's just waiting for me to put a kit and some 17 inch rims on it! I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable, inexpensive, fun little car!

Favorite Features

I always get well over 30 MPG, which is great. Also, I love being able to drive anywhere without worrying that my car might break down. Nice bodystyling, it's simple but still looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger stock wheels Rollin on 13s isnt too hot The cupholder is small and blocks the radio. An extra 10 or 15 HP wouldn't hurt, but thats nothing a cold air intake and exhaust cant solve. I would love if it had an SR20 engine like the SE-R model of this car but you cant have everything

Been driving it for 7 years!
By Julessez

1996 Nissan 200SX 2dr Coupe

I have had a standard base model of this car (the same one) for 7 years now, and have had very few problems with it. I am now fast approaching 100,000 miles, and it is still been extremely reliable. I would recommend this as a great first car!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy is tops. Sporty look is nice to have, as well.

Suggested Improvements

The interior of the car has not held up as well as I think it should. The driver's seat (used most often, obviously) is showing major wear in tearing covers and a broken spring or two. I hate the cup holder in front of the radio.

Love our Pookie
By towpreg

1996 Nissan 200SX 2dr Coupe

This tough little car is amazing. Base powertrain doesn't amaze with power, but feels solid as an Army Jeep's. Nicely appointed for an economy vehicle - has a more upscale feel. After several years of pounding in AZ sun, had to replace a thermostat and the tires.

Favorite Features

Best feature: Gas mileage. Got 50mpg over 500 miles, traveling at 55mph & using Mobil1.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholder placement stinks - puts your drink in front of the radio. Oil filter is pretty well hidden.

By bobmiller

1996 Nissan 200SX 2dr Coupe

This car is so reliable but it gets a bad rap due to its exterior that is sort of similar to a Sentra. I've never had any problems with this car. I save tons of money on gas.

Favorite Features

Great Mileage. Spacious interior for a coupe.

Suggested Improvements

That cup holder underneath the radio is annoying, but there are other cupholders underneath the console.