2015 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

Horrific A/C, Cooling; Poor Delivery
By Dominick Scalcione

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV ES 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

Can't recall having these issues with any previous import. To start with somehow the dealer delivered the car with all four tires over-inflated at 45 PSI pressure. The SUV was all over the road as you can imagine and had an extremely hard ride over bumps. Since this was my first car with TPMS, unfortunately I never thought to check the tire pressure. The TPMS it turns out only monitors for under pressure tires, not over. As a result I didn't realize there was a problem for 3 months. On research I learned that some foreign manufacturers over-inflate to guarantee that the tires will not go flat in transit, and it's the dealer's responsibility to set them correctly on delivery. But I think more likely this dealer prep guy had a brain freeze and over-set the pressure. I just wonder how many other cars they sent out on the road in this dangerous condition?

That was the first problem. The dealer corrected the tire pressure, inspected the chasis and had to reset the wheel alignment. The 2nd problem, was the odor of coolant around the front of the vehicle when it gets hot. It could be smelled from up to 15 - 20 feet. This went on for more than a year. At this time the odor can be smelled from very close to the front of the car.

The 3rd problem is the most serious. When the ambient temperature is 95 or greater, and when the vehicle comes to a stop at a traffic light at idle, the A/C starts blowing HOT air. At other times when the outside temperature is 85 and after a half hour or more of driving in the midday heat, the same problem occurs, at idle the A/C starts blowing HOT air. In both cases as soon as vehicle motion starts, A/C is restored. The dealer has not been able to duplicate the conditions for the A/C failure, so as yet no resolution of this problem. I called a Mitsubishi dealer in St. Petersburg, Fl. after a hot spell. They reported no issues with vehicles coming in for this condition. Finally to be fair I should note that I got a very good price on this vehicle with a 6 year no interest loan from Mitsubishi.

Awesomeness on 4 wheels
By John

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV GT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I normally would never have purchased a Mitsubishi anything but, while in Europe for work, I rented this model on 2 separate occasions. The first occasion was for a drive from Germany to Italy (11 hours from where I was). The car handled great, was very comfortable and roomy enough (I'm 6'7"), and the fuel economy really impressed me. The second occasion was to travel across Germany from the most western part to Berlin (7 hrs with traffic/road construction). There were 4 of us and we thoroughly enjoyed the comfort, size and the easy transition from highway to driving into the heart of the city. When it was time to buy a new vehicle I had absolutely no doubts as to what I wanted. I'm impressed with the V6 power and I like the ability to choose what type of driving performance at the touch of a button. With the AWD I don't worry about any sudden weather changes in winter or rainy season.

I like it.
By mt

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV GT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I wasn't in the market for a car. Was looking for something for a 3rd row for my sister. The Outlander GT caught my attention because I really liked its lines. This car is like a big station wagon with some ground clearance. I'll never use the 3rd row seat, but I have a great amount of space in the back with the third row folded down. There is also lots of space for passengers in the rear seat. Just had adult friends sitting in the back, and they had at least a few inches of space between their knees and the front seats.

I just drove it from Philly to Cape Cod and back, and it was a very nice ride. Back wasn't sore, plenty of power to pass, and no complaints from adults in the back seat. Also had plenty of room for luggage in the back. Only thing I noticed was that if you have to floor it to get our of a hairy situation, the engine is really loud. That happened a couple times, but overall, cruising in the left lane and merging on to the highways was done easily and quietly. I'll never use the paddle shifters, so I can't write anything about them. Visibility is great. It really feels like a station wagon inside, which I like. It drives more like a truck, which I also like. It reminds me of Jeeps and pick-ups that I've owned in the past. It's probably less carlike than its competitors.

The audio system is great. I have to take the time to read the manuals to figure some stuff out, which I'll probably never do. I hope there are some overrides so I can make some changes to music or nav system while driving. A passenger was trying to do some stuff that could not be done if I wasn't in park. An Iphone was also unable to configure with the audio system while I was driving.

I love the power lift-gate that can be operated with the remote. Also like the push-button start, and being able to lock/unlock doors without taking key out of my packet.

I've seen reviews that say the interior looks cheap, but it looks ok to me. The fake wood is minimal, and the vented leather on the seats looks great. I do hate putting premium fuel in it, but I drive less than most people, so that didn't bother me too much. I got the car used. It was a dealer demo, and I got a really good deal on it. I would never pay the MSRP for it, but for what I payed, I think it's a great car/truck...whatever it is. Hope to have it for a long time. Going to add a remote starter, and then I'm happy as a clam. The 2016 has the power fold in mirrors. I miss having that feature.

Honest Little Family Car
By Jesse Coley

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

We have had our Outlander for a couple months and about 3000 miles now. We are a family of three with a very active 2 year old and are always going on trips with friends and family.
We previously had a 2011 Ford Fusion as our primary family car but found it incompatible with the constant demands to have more than "just us" in the car. We bought the Outlander because we wanted the ability to seat 7 (4 adults and 3 children most commonly) in a pinch but still have a smaller, frugal vehicle for our everyday urban driving.
It also surprisingly takes up much less space in our small garage than the Fusion did, which I think is something that isn't touched on enough: Most modern cars and trucks are too long, too wide, too fat. The Outlander is lean and compact, yet still has loads of room on the inside.
Automotive "journalists" seem to universally dislike the Outlander (and Mitsubishi in general) but from actually test driving and now living with our Outlander, I know I was right to take their reviews with a grain of salt.
Yes, the CVT is slow, but in normal traffic you aren't blasting away from every stop light anyway. If you ever have the need for speed, there is a "sport mode" that I've found to more than adequate when I need to pass someone quickly or "get the heck out of the way". The venerable (but excellent) four cylinder has plenty of power to move this thing, even while on a recent trip to the mountains of East Tennessee, with seven people, and all of our stuff. Not once did I wish I had bought the V6.
Build quality is excellent. Every part of this vehicle is durable and honest. The interior is mature and tasteful. I guess some folks call that "bland", but folks like me don't want their interior to look like the cockpit of a jet fighter. The seats are great, the second rows adjusts easily, the third row has PLENTY of room for children and even most people. (Honestly, are all your car reviewers basketball players or something?)
The suspension is a little soft and the low mass of the vehicle makes crosswinds very noticeable, but you quickly adjust and stop caring. The ride comfort is more than worth it.
We got the mid level SE, which I would say is the "sweet spot". Lots of bells and whistles, but no guzzler V6, no sunroof you'll never use, no navigation that is rendered redundant by any given smartphone these days, no leather that you'll just have to keep oiled or it'll crack, etc etc.
The air conditioning is brilliant. I have been repeatedly told that it is too cold, by third row passengers, in the July heat of Memphis! I am not exaggerating!
The only real problem to speak of is a tire that needed to be rebalanced (at no cost from the dealership).
I should mention that we shopped the Outlander against the Toyota Highlander (new and used), Kia Sorento, Mazda5, and Volvo XC90 (used). In the end, we actually fell in love with the Outlander.
It's not perfect, but it's honest. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it well and it does it for an unbeatable price. I can't recommend it enough.

UPDATE JANUARY 2016: We are still loving our Outlander and it continues to do everything we ask it to do. It's had it's first scheduled maintenance (free from Mitsubishi) with no issues to speak of. Everything works properly, no electronic hiccups, no drivetrain surprises. Now that the CVT has gotten "broken in", it has become much smoother and less noisy. The engine continues to deliver adequate power, though you can hear the valves ticking at idle (like a diesel). That seems to be common now with all the fancy valve timing cam switching voodoo, so its not something I worry about.
We have several new Ford Escapes at work and how magazines can recommend them over the Outlander is beyond me; The Outlander is simply BETTER in every way. The Escape has less USABLE interior room, tacky interior design, a laughably small backup camera display, and is so cheaply built that the hood vibrates frantically at idle. The previous generation Escape was a much better vehicle, in my opinion, but I digress.
Get yourself an Outlander and stop caring what those car magazines say.

Outlandish should get more respect
By tjacob1273@sbcglobal.net

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

We just returned from Florida in our 2015 Outlander. We found it quiet and comfortable.
Running 75 and 80 mph no problem, 27 mpg combined city and highway. Plenty of power for my wife and I. Outstanding value and warranty. I don't know what SUV the reviewers are driving but they are not typical commuters.