Used 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

The car survived the college student but not the accident
By alycop

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'll be honest, I am a college student and I did not maintain the car well. I received the car in 2011 at 67k and the tires, battery and brakes needed to be replaced. Since then I had nothing more than a burnt out headlight. It ran great, got good highway mileage for an SUV, and had plenty of room. Sometimes it would take a second turn of the key to start, but that was because I procrastinated (big time) on oil changes and such. 2.5 years and 30k miles later I had an accident after my tire blew from hitting a hubcap. We spun out, I over corrected, slid to a ditch and rolled over. I came out with out a scratch, my boyfriend got a mild concussion, but my poor car was totaled.

Favorite Features

Excellent clearance, plenty of space for people or my junk, good sound system, good highway mpg(24-26), A+ safety

Suggested Improvements

More preference than anything; no aux for mp3, in city mpg (15-19), black cars are bad in a dessert

Not for off road use
By spudhikes

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Perfect on the road, crappy off of it. Tiny rocks get caught between the brake rotors and the brake rotor covers. Had them emptied six times in one year. Drive dirt roads with the occasional rutted out section 3 times per week. Broke the suspension over and over again. Everything was perfect on the road, but off of it caused problems. Sound system was great. Heated front seats were amazing. Seats easily stain, even from water. Plenty of room for a 6'5" guy. Can't complain about anything on the pavement. Can't suggest you use it off of the pavement. Second Mitsubishi. Will buy an older montero most likely. Mitsubishi still rocks, just had the wrong one for day to day use.

Favorite Features

Infinity sound system was awesome. Decent gas mileage for it's size, but the added zip it provided diminished it over some other comparable SUVs in its class. Fun to drive. Got it over 100 mph a couple of times without any problems. Comfortable seats. No problems on long trips. Decent storage in the back. Looks great. Gets a lot of glances especially since there are not a lot of them on the road where I live. Acceleration was great, but gas mileage suffers above 65 mph. Absolutely no complaints about durability on paved roads.

Suggested Improvements

Would shift into overdrive at the wrong times on mountain passes. Was almost constantly in overdrive in those situations despite only carrying me and nothing else. Gas mileage was about 22 mph on the highway. Not enough for its small size. The rocks in the rotor problem was bad enough to make me sell it. Continually broke the suspension on calm dirt roads. Incredibly bad ear drum splitting pressure reverberations with only the back windows down (typical of my other Mits as well). Seats stain easily.

I absolutely loved the 06 Outlander!
By gigemmer

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Outlander used in 07 and continued to drive it until last week, when it was totaled in an accident. I actually cried when the adjuster told me it was totaled, because I LOVED this car! We put 80,000 miles on it over the 4 years, and not once did we need a repair, except to replace the brakes at 90k. I wanted to write this review because of how well it held up in our wreck. We were rear-ended while at a complete stop by a guy going 50. We were thrown into the guardrail, but the only major damages were in appearance. The car held up extremely well, and none of us was injured. I was so impressed by how safe it was, I'm planning on buying another one!

Favorite Features

Though reviews say it has a cheaply made plastic interior, I must say that nothing ever broke or became damaged, and I am pretty rough on my cars. My mom's expensive jeep has had several interior pieces break off, but I've never had that problem in this car. The mesh seats were easy to clean and keep clean, even with my two dogs often riding in the car. Passengers always commented on how roomy the back seat leg room was, and I agree. Also loved the fold down seats...I could fit 2 small kayaks in this car, as well as 8 pairs of skis, dressers, and tables. (I buy a lot of furniture.)

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that really bugged me with this car was the shape of the hatchback. Because it opened inside the width of the taillights, the opening was narrower at the bottom. This was a pain, because furniture that looked like it would fit had to be hoisted above the opening and slid into the trunk space. However, this feature has been improved on the 2007 model.

Young Family Car
By ihab.salem

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very practical for small/young family. It's smooth, quick, not feature rich but do the required. Average cargo space, very comfortable with more than enough legs, head and shoulders space for 5 adults (or 2 adults, 2 child, and a baby seat). As I am living in a very hot country I found the AC is very effective in summer. The automatic gear is very responsive. I tried many other SUVs nowadays (e.g. Acadia, Pilot, Explorer, etc) and can't find any match to its powerful & responsive brakes. I was near the Oman tsunami in 2006 (in Sharjah Emirate) and this car saved me from drowning in water in low streets while similar SUV drowned (CR-V, Sportage, Vitara). But very low MPG in city.

Favorite Features

Ground clearance enough to avoid bumps & rocks while not being shaky, ability to reach 192KMH, very stable in hard curves on high speeds (125 KPH) while it doesn't have any stability/traction systems, powerful ABS, exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

Very low MPG in city, high wind noise on highways driving above 120 KPH. The back seat passengers should have airbags.

A Great Vehicle
By glorkar

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased Used with 66,000 miles. When I started looking for a different vehicle, the Outlander wasn't even on my list. But after I saw it and test drove it, I fell in love. The exterior is fairly aggressive and the seats are very comfortable. The ride is nice and smooth and it has been able to haul anything I needed. I have not needed the AWD yet but with winters in Wisconsin I'm sure it will come in handy. The mileage is ho-hum at about 20 mpg and it's not very peppy off the line, but I knew it wasn't a race car when I bought it. The mesh cloth seats are great. Even though they are darker, they are cool to the touch even in 85 degree weather.

Favorite Features

Aggressive exterior styling/uniqueness, comfortable seats, cargo capacity, can unlock all doors with one exterior door lock, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Redesigned headlight lenses that don't crack, center headrest on back seat obstructs rear view (removed first thing,) cup holders too big for cans and most bottles (great for coffee mugs though)