2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:
The car survived the college student but not the accident
By alycop on 10/13/13 12:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'll be honest, I am a college student and I did not maintain the car well. I received the car in 2011 at 67k and the tires, battery and brakes needed to be replaced. Since then I had nothing more than a burnt out headlight. It ran great, got good highway mileage for an SUV, and had plenty of room. Sometimes it would take a second turn of the key to start, but that was because I procrastinated (big time) on oil changes and such. 2.5 years and 30k miles later I had an accident after my tire blew from hitting a hubcap. We spun out, I over corrected, slid to a ditch and rolled over. I came out with out a scratch, my boyfriend got a mild concussion, but my poor car was totaled.

Not for off road use
By spudhikes on 11/16/12 01:59 AM (PST)

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Perfect on the road, crappy off of it. Tiny rocks get caught between the brake rotors and the brake rotor covers. Had them emptied six times in one year. Drive dirt roads with the occasional rutted out section 3 times per week. Broke the suspension over and over again. Everything was perfect on the road, but off of it caused problems. Sound system was great. Heated front seats were amazing. Seats easily stain, even from water. Plenty of room for a 6'5" guy. Can't complain about anything on the pavement. Can't suggest you use it off of the pavement. Second Mitsubishi. Will buy an older montero most likely. Mitsubishi still rocks, just had the wrong one for day to day use.

I absolutely loved the 06 Outlander!
By gigemmer on 08/09/11 12:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Outlander used in 07 and continued to drive it until last week, when it was totaled in an accident. I actually cried when the adjuster told me it was totaled, because I LOVED this car! We put 80,000 miles on it over the 4 years, and not once did we need a repair, except to replace the brakes at 90k. I wanted to write this review because of how well it held up in our wreck. We were rear-ended while at a complete stop by a guy going 50. We were thrown into the guardrail, but the only major damages were in appearance. The car held up extremely well, and none of us was injured. I was so impressed by how safe it was, I'm planning on buying another one!

Young Family Car
By ihab.salem on 07/27/10 03:14 AM (PDT)

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very practical for small/young family. It's smooth, quick, not feature rich but do the required. Average cargo space, very comfortable with more than enough legs, head and shoulders space for 5 adults (or 2 adults, 2 child, and a baby seat). As I am living in a very hot country I found the AC is very effective in summer. The automatic gear is very responsive. I tried many other SUVs nowadays (e.g. Acadia, Pilot, Explorer, etc) and can't find any match to its powerful & responsive brakes. I was near the Oman tsunami in 2006 (in Sharjah Emirate) and this car saved me from drowning in water in low streets while similar SUV drowned (CR-V, Sportage, Vitara). But very low MPG in city.

A Great Vehicle
By glorkar on 06/30/10 08:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased Used with 66,000 miles. When I started looking for a different vehicle, the Outlander wasn't even on my list. But after I saw it and test drove it, I fell in love. The exterior is fairly aggressive and the seats are very comfortable. The ride is nice and smooth and it has been able to haul anything I needed. I have not needed the AWD yet but with winters in Wisconsin I'm sure it will come in handy. The mileage is ho-hum at about 20 mpg and it's not very peppy off the line, but I knew it wasn't a race car when I bought it. The mesh cloth seats are great. Even though they are darker, they are cool to the touch even in 85 degree weather.

Updated comments
By Outlander2 on 01/20/10 17:32 PM (PST)

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Two months ago I rated my newly purchased Outlander. I still feel that the car is very smooth. It rides very quiet and is very comfortable. I especially like the transmission, allowing to shift up and down on the go. The sound system is great. I found that the rear wiper to be almost useless. It does not clean a large enough surface to allow for a clear vue, The rear wiper is a pain to change. The plastic on which mudguards are mounted is beginning to deteriorate. Gas mileage is disappointing from a 4 cyl. car. I find the tires 215/55/17 to be oversize and the 94V rating in unnecessary for this car with a top speed of 120 mph. The windows and sunroof freeze when cold.

Mitsubishi weekender
By Nopamo on 11/21/09 07:12 AM (PST)

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this outlander in October and it has been a perfect fit since. I was looking for a car like suv and found outlander fitting in utility and price. It has fit into our lifestyle as a weekend and vacation get away mobile. It's perfect as a secondary car especially when you want to give your daily commute car a break. The money you'll save could be used on enjoying your destination. Our outlander is adequately powered for getting here to there. All the necessary comforts for the drive are present including a more than comfortable and roomy passenger space. Four medium sized people will seat very easily. Five is do-able for shorter trips. Back seats recline, but will sacrifice cargo.

New to Outlander
By Outlander on 11/16/09 15:45 PM (PST)

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Ok, I just bought this used 2006 Outlander. Let me say that I am very impressed with how smooth the car rides. The seats (front, I haven't been in the back yet) are very comfortable. Sound system is great. The viewing position is perfect for my height (5'9").

Great Car
By Snoop on 08/07/09 07:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It still amazes me that the resale value of these is so far below the CRV and the Rav4. Makes picking up one lightly used a no-brainer. The SE model exterior design blows away the rivals. Great looking vehicle (SE/LTD - LS OK) and you won't see many (if any) on the road. The engine has plenty of power even when entering/passing on the highway. The Infiniti sound system is great. Plenty of room on the inside, slightly less cargo space than the CRV & Rav4, but not by much. Expected to run forever (150 - 200K easy) with little maintenance.

Unexceptional, but that's a good thing
By Mawingo on 07/29/09 14:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is an after the fact review, as I just traded this one in. This car did nothing well, but nothing bad. It was just sort of there and didn't leave a bad taste. It's comfortable (the seats are very firm), got decent mileage, and didn't require a lot of non-routine maint; just oil changes, tires, brakes, and an AC recharge (common to this model). It's a little short on power, but proved to be reliable. The interior wore well.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.