Used 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mitsubishi Outlander - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mitsubishi Outlander

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

10 years later
By Christina

2005 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new off the lot in 2005. Within the first couple of years I had to have it repainted twice because it was already rusting. I had the bushings, control arms, tierods, and brakes replaced pretty much every year I've owned this thing, since the first year I bought it. I don't mistreat my car or drive it rough because I'm too paranoid something will go wrong with it. At 7 years the motor blew and the dealership refused to honor the warranty, despite it having 93,000 miles on it (well under warranty). The transmission was bad after the first year. The radiator had to be replaced after 8 years, even though it leaked since the first year I got it. The dealership wouldn't cover anything with my 10 year/100,000 mile warranty except the bushings. My window motor died after 9 years. The rear window windshield wiper died after 3 years. I feel I'm replacing the lights every 6 months, and at $35 a light, it adds up real quick. I've pretty much replaced every single thing on this car since the year I bought it, without any help from the dealership or warranty. Now it's paid off, you better believe I'm going to drive the hell out of it for another 10 years because I've rebuilt the whole thing. I paid $27,000 for this car, and I refuse to let it go out of sheer stubbornness, and not wanting to have to buy another car. BUT, I sure as heck will NEVER buy another one again. Wasn't ever worth the money. And I didn't even get the nice packaged one, it's just plain jane boring. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone. It's hard to find parts for it, and everything costs a ridiculous amount.

Reliable so far.
By lucymo

2005 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

LS model, FWD, automatic.
I purchased this car when it was 2 years old and had 26K miles on it. Now it's 7 years old and has 82K miles. I have had only one problem - with the steering column - that was taken care of through 5y/60k miles warranty. I do regular maintenance according to the manual.

While the LS model has a very spartan interior, it handles well. I replaced its very standard radio/CD player with an all-in-one player.

It's perfect for a small family of 2-3 people or a couple with dogs. Not enough pwr with 4 adults.
Mine has gas mileage of 22 mpg in the city and 26 mpg hwy.
I am very happy with it and will drive it to its end, hopefully many years and many miles away.

It's not a "quality" japanese SUV.
By paintrboy

2005 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Outlander 1 and half years ago from the dealer. Only 59K with lots of warranty left. Worked like well for the first 4 months then, $800 of front end work. New ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings etc. Then the gas tank started leaking another $1000. Then the transmission drive shaft seals began leaking (should have been covered under warranty) $300. New clutch kit, $800, new rear caliper $618 (yes, 1 ). Still needs new windshield, 4 struts, all new bushings again, doesn't start well after fuelling up and recently the power steering rack began leaking. It currently has 91K and we still owe $7000 on it. Dealer we purchased from said they'd buyback for $2200 firm.

Gas mileage. Quiet.

Read above.......pretty much everything. On par with Lada, mechanically, anyway.

Good SUV
By R C

2005 Mitsubishi Outlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I saw this SUV, I knew this was the one. It was different than all the other SUVs I had looked at! The interior looked like a German Interior and not Japanese. I really like our Mitsubishi Outlander, it has been a very reliable SUV. Performance is ok for normal drivers, but if your like me, there's not enough horsepower! My wife loves her SUV. It has been such a good vehicle, that I'm going to buy a new Mitsubishi Lancer GTS for my daughter. Good luck!

Leather heated seats, moonroof

More horsepower,timing chain not timing belt

Amazing!
By Tabby

2005 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought this car used a week ago. I love it, it handles just the way I like, like the Lancer platform it was built on. Hugs the curves just the way I like. Holds the road with almost NO body lean. It's incredibly fun to drive. My first SUV, and I'm in love with it. Lots of room and plenty of cargo cubbyholes. Plenty of room for my big dog to ride in the back. I have the Sun & Sound package and I love my Infinity sound system. Great gas mileage for an SUV.

Sound & Sun package, and the handling.

Nothing that I can think of, I love the car.