Used 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

2004 Outlander sport xls
By teddyjames

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my outlander with 93k, now at 109k. So far no issues, smooth ride, decent gas mileage overall solid car for $7500. I was told there may be suspension issues with this model, but nothing too serious from my experience so far. It's put a smile on my face and would recommend to buyers looking to spend under 10k on a crossover with lots of room for storage. If this car had either a turbo or V6 it would be 10x better lol.

Heated seats, sunroof, storage, gas mileage, cost for repairs

To many screws and nuts getting to spark plugs...not a huge issue but annoying!

Super Reliable!
By jwmatten

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander used in 2006 with 20,000 miles on it. I've never had ANY issues with this car other than the scheduled maintenance. I only gave it a 4/5 on performance because the 4-cylinder makes it hard to drive up hills.

Best car Purchase I have ever made!!!
By breamom

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Outlander brand new. I don't usually buy new cars and I was a devout VW person. I bought the Outlander because I was starting a new business, needed a car and I didn't want to be distracted by used car pailings. so I bought the cheapest new car I could find. I spent all of $15,000. I have NEVER had anything go wrong with this car. I have only spent money on brakes, oil changes and tires. The cost of ownership has been spectacular. I will never buy a German car again, too pricey to repair and even for regular maintenance.

It's super roomy for hauling things around. It's a small car buy when you need to bring those big IKEA furniture boxes home - PERFECT!!! Just fold down the seats and VOILA! Space!! and lots of it.

No suggested improvements.

Suspension worry
By davebeat

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned the vehicle for only 6 weeks, but have subjected it to all manner of tests and scrutiny. It has only done 106,000 kilometers, looks immaculate inside and out, is very comfortable, handles well and is perfect in every respect bar one -- suspension (or shocks). No one can find anything wrong, yet while very smooth on good roads, smallish bumps and accompanying road noise suggest very rigid suspension. Is this a characteristic?

Not in the shop much
By Jo

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I can't believe I've had the Outlander for over five and a half years now. I only planned to keep it three or four years but it is still running well and not giving me any headaches. It has not been in the shop for much of anything besides normal maintenance. It handles very well in the snow - I will not go back to FWD. The gas mileage has stayed around 22 mpg.

I love the way the Outlander handles on winter roads in the upper midwest. More than once I have watched another driver struggle to get through an un- plowed driveway 6-8" deep, then I have driven right through. Bonus feature: my bicycle fits in the back (seat down) without taking the wheels off.

The newer models have the option to switch out of AWD mode, which would help with gas mileage. Adjusting the side mirrors requires getting out of position because the controls are just out of reach when sitting back.