2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:
2004 Outlander sport xls
By teddyjames on 10/25/13 16:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my outlander with 93k, now at 109k. So far no issues, smooth ride, decent gas mileage overall solid car for $7500. I was told there may be suspension issues with this model, but nothing too serious from my experience so far. It's put a smile on my face and would recommend to buyers looking to spend under 10k on a crossover with lots of room for storage. If this car had either a turbo or V6 it would be 10x better lol.

Super Reliable!
By jwmatten on 09/27/13 13:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander used in 2006 with 20,000 miles on it. I've never had ANY issues with this car other than the scheduled maintenance. I only gave it a 4/5 on performance because the 4-cylinder makes it hard to drive up hills.

Best car Purchase I have ever made!!!
By breamom on 09/04/11 23:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Outlander brand new. I don't usually buy new cars and I was a devout VW person. I bought the Outlander because I was starting a new business, needed a car and I didn't want to be distracted by used car pailings. so I bought the cheapest new car I could find. I spent all of $15,000. I have NEVER had anything go wrong with this car. I have only spent money on brakes, oil changes and tires. The cost of ownership has been spectacular. I will never buy a German car again, too pricey to repair and even for regular maintenance.

Suspension worry
By davebeat on 08/11/10 09:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned the vehicle for only 6 weeks, but have subjected it to all manner of tests and scrutiny. It has only done 106,000 kilometers, looks immaculate inside and out, is very comfortable, handles well and is perfect in every respect bar one -- suspension (or shocks). No one can find anything wrong, yet while very smooth on good roads, smallish bumps and accompanying road noise suggest very rigid suspension. Is this a characteristic?

Not in the shop much
By Jo on 08/04/10 19:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I can't believe I've had the Outlander for over five and a half years now. I only planned to keep it three or four years but it is still running well and not giving me any headaches. It has not been in the shop for much of anything besides normal maintenance. It handles very well in the snow - I will not go back to FWD. The gas mileage has stayed around 22 mpg.

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander
By 456654456654123321 on 01/23/10 08:54 AM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Outlander new in 04. We have had 2 problems. 1, the power port stopped working. Replaced fuse and no good. 2. It stalls every now in then, and then it starts up fine. A few weeks later, it will stall and then be fine. Other than that, it has been a pretty good vehicle. We have been from TN to FL, TN to ME probably 20 times and the Outlander goes fine. If I could change one thing it would be the suspension. I think it needs to be a little beefier. With a heavy load, the front end gets light and it feels top heavy. Would I buy another one? Me no, my wife yes. I enjoy a bigger vehicle, but for the "soccer mom" it is fine.

I love my Mitsubishi outlander
By ronda on 01/10/10 16:56 PM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Mitsubishi outlander. I love driving it how it handles and the room it has. Wish had a tow hook on front I have no problem in the winter and we get a lot of snow and I notice I see more mistibishi outlanders on the road. I have had only 3 problems and got parts.

Pleasant Surprise
By Rusty on 01/07/10 11:50 AM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car used four years ago with 21000 miles and have 103000 on it now. It has been an almost perfect car. Nothing but regular maintenance has been required and it is an easy and even fun car to drive. Some reviews talk about a lack of power, but I have found the acceleration to be sprightly and the only time wishing it had more umph! is when loaded to the gills and trying to pass on a hill. This is the first Mitsubishi I have owned, but if it is a representative sample I am very impressed and wouldn't hesitate to get another when I need to replace this one.

Very reliable, nice looking
By Mikey on 11/01/09 11:15 AM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car one year old with 12,000 miles, and it has served me well. Aside from a cooling fan that runs for a short period after the engine is turned off (I ignored the recall), I've had no problems. It's comfortable, zippy, handles well, and the cargo space with the back seats down is plenty long. Wish it were a little higher, though. I had considered a 2004 Ford Escape (too pricey) and a 2004 Honda CRV (not long enough). I'm happy with my pick. My only complaints are that the sheet metal is thin (dings easily), the in- town mileage isn't great (I get about 17 mpg on a 4-cylinder engine!), and wind pulses through the car when the back windows are down.

By Ken Bynion on 09/29/08 06:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Overall excellent vehicle. Seats were uncomfortable on longer rides. Safety. Labor day weekend I had a rollover accident, going approximately 50 mph. We wound up on the roof. All 4 of us (ages 72, 69, 65, 59) walked away! Only the windshield broke. 3 of the doors and the tailgate opened so we could get out. The insurance company totaled it. The outlander is safe! We bought a 2008 outlander a few weeks later.