2003 Mitsubishi Outlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:
Fun car to drive
By Christy1972 on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Since purchasing our Outlander, we have gone to Charleston, SC 2 times. It was a very enjoyable drive. It was quiet wuth the windows closed so our kids could sleep. I also use my Outlander for my house cleaning buisness. It handles well. The steering is responsive. The a/c works great. It tilts a little in tight turns. That is the ONLY complaint from me. (although you should never speed-ha ha) The dash has a very easy to read layout. And my kids LOVE my new car. Thanks Mitsubishi!! This is by far my favorite car I have owned.

Outlander
By tbzfb on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

For the money, this is a great vehicle.

2003 Outlander
By gjens on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This small Suv has been a lot of fun to drive and since I've purchase this car over seventeen month ago has not cause me one bit of trouble. I wish it would give better gas milage in the city 18 mpg but it does rather well on the highway 27 mpg.

Looked Far and Wide!
By KKar21 on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It was time to turn in my much loved 95 Explorer and I wasn't going to settle for anything but style and comfort. I can't believe I found it all in this price range. I've only had this vehicle for 2 weeks and I already love it! I bought it used with 16,000 miles on it. It still rides and smells like new. The gas mileage is wonderful, especially with today's gas prices going through the roof! It's smooth and so easy and fun to drive.

Terrific little SUV
By Lady Faire on 06/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Read the reviews on this and other SUVs before I made my choice(s). Drove the Honda CRV and thought I had a winner. Went immediately down to drive the Outlander while the experience was still fresh in my mind and the Honda was totally blown away! The Outlander is more solid feeling, seems much roomier, is MUCH quieter on the road and handles beautifully. Some of the reviews I had read complained of a lack of 'zip' or get up and go, but I have not noticed any problems at all. Jumps right out there with the big boys and keeps up just fine!

Terrible Pull to the left
By BeagleDog on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

As soon as I started driving this new vehicle I experienced a severe pull to the left. I assumed it was just out of alignment. However when I called the dealership, service told me the 2003's had a known defect requiring a major repair and I needed to drop the vehicle off for at least a day. Can you sell vehicles with known safety defects? Other than that major flaw, it's nice.

Love it!
By DevonPass on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I own a 2003 XLS AWD. I have all the extras: leather, seat heaters, sun roof, Infinity stereo, auto dimming rear veiw mirror. I am getting 22 MPG which I think is pretty good for an SUV. The car has plenty of room for my active family, I have 2 dogs, a husband and a 3 year old. My husband is just over 6 feet tall and has plenty of head/leg room. Others have complained about the power, I am satisfied. I commmute 50 miles in and out of Washington DC and have no problems navigating the beltway. I have recieved many compliments.

Rough location, good performance
By M Furst on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

While out of the mainstream, my Outlander is subject to unusual abuse - - I live in China and run this vehicle over roads in serious disrepair. I find the ride over rough serfaces to be pretty good (maybe a reflection of Mitsubishis's long off-road exp.). The engine is pretty good in this iteration of the Outlander. Plenty of power (presumaly the 160 horse version), yet fuel efficient enuf for the high gas prices here. I look forward to running it in the snow but will have to wait 'til next year for that.

Great Value, Comfort and Reliability
By jhmh on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I find the Outlander to be comfortable and stylish. The 2.4 liter engine provides the power level I expected (what do you expect from a 4 cylinder?). I think it is enough power for most drivers. After reading through almost all of the other reviews, I have found some common complaints. 1)The vehicle pulls to one side. I don't think this is an alignment problem. 2)Under hard acceleration, the muffler or something in the exhaust sounds like it is loose or has a hole in it. I checked the NHTSA website for recalls on these two specific items, but there are not any. Overall, I think this is a strong buy for the money.

can't beat it for the money
By ryanclements on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I have had the Outlander for a year now and we still love it. It has a very car-ish ride and still has many of the useful things we were hoping to get from an SUV (cargo space, roomy ride). ABS should be standard. It's probably not the best SUV on the market, but the cost makes it, in my opinion, the best value--which is most important. It's pretty good on gas anyway, but we added a tornado fuel saver and the hwy mpg jumped by 4-6 miles/gal! The sportronic trannie is a hoot too. I don't use it often, but there's plenty of juice when I need it. We love it, and anyone that would give it a chance most likely will too.