Used 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

The Most Reliable Vehicle I Ever Owned
By Mister Digger

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my fifteenth car in 20 years, so for this one to give me almost no trouble for 160,000 miles is truly remarkable. The AC went out at about 100K miles, just after doing a major overhaul as preventative maintenance (the timing belt was still good). The latch on the driver's side rear seat also went out at about 80K miles, but that was very minor. With gas prices soaring and me griping about only getting 24 MPG in this SUV, I did the unthinkable and tried to trade it in on a gas saving economy car. Well, I should thank the sales manager for giving me an insult of an offer for trade-in. I canceled the deal and kept this vehicle. If it works, don't fix it!

Flat folding rear seats. Easy oil change, just crawl under it without jacking it up. Handles flooded streets almost as good as a Jeep Wrangler. Incredible reliability. Easy entry and exit for the physically challenged.

The 2007 redesign was worse in my opinion, but the seats could use more padding.

Disappointed
By john

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle brand new thinking I was getting a good deal since it was the last '03 in town. Well lets see, the catalytic converter has been replaced, as well as they entire air conditioning system-which you can only buy the parts from the dealership. Also the cv-joints have been replaced and I only get 16mpg- combined city and highway. You would think it had 100k plus miles, but I just traded it in with 67k. There was no power, touchy transmission, a super disappointment to drive. I also felt every bump in the road and it was so uncomfortable. Also my partner was 6'4" and his knees hit the dashboard and he could hardly drive it. It was cramped and a huge disappointment.

I loved the exterior design.

Engine, interior design, transmission, pretty much everything.

Terrific Little SUV
By LadyFaire

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

If you are looking for a smaller, more fuel efficient SUV, you could not find a better one than the Outlander, whatever the year. I have the 2003, in 2 wheel drive, and both my husband and I liked it so much that he bought a new Outlander (AWD) last year when his Subaru (his 7th) quit. I never thought he would abandon his Subarus, but he actually defected to my Outlander's side. The Outlander handles like a dream, has a really nice sound system (once you fiddle with the balance, etc), the intelligent wipers are great, the seats are comfortable, and the gas mileage is respectable once you break in the engine (after about 30,000 miles).

The smart wipers - slow down when you stop at at light, so you don't have to keep fiddling with the speed! Great feature.

All of the improvements I could recommend for the '03 have been addressed in the newer models! Except that you can no longer tow anything with the newer ones. Shame.

Excellent Value
By susieris

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Outlander for 3 1/2 yrs. I checked Edmunds before I bought it, looking for an SUV that got good gas mileage, was economical to insure, and that was able to accommodate two tall adults. It has made two long trips (over 1,600 miles) and several 400 mile trips each year with no problems.

I love the great gas mileage! The rails on top make it easy to spot in a parking lot.

It could be a bit taller.

Good SUV
By Jennifer

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Outlander for almost two years and I am very happy with it. It's very reliable and the performance is good. It is easy to get in and out of and the trunk compartment is easily accessible.

Is reliability a feature? This is a peppy vehicle for a 4 cylinder.

The window controls are placed too far forward. Sometimes I roll down the back windows by mistake. My fan cuts off and on constantly when running the a/c, which is weird. Also, I have to be careful because of limited visibility (blind spots).