Used 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

Solid car - very pleased
By Jane

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our car 1 year used with about 12000 miles on it. We've been very happy with it. Like any car that is now 6 or so years old, it has a few rattles and such, but not many. It has not had any major issues (regular maintenance only), other than a known issue with the dash AC/Heat selector. Now I must switch from AC to heat from under the dash or pay to fix it (around $1500, so I won't do it). Mileage is right around 20mpg for mix of around town and highway. It's very comfortable to drive and ride in - we regularly make 8+ hour treks in the car and find it very comfy. The car has held up well over the years. Very happy with it.

Nice and comfortable interior, roof rack rails, very reliable.

I hope that in the past 6 years the AC/heat issue has been identified and resolved in newer models.

Great buy
By ashgad

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005, needed a larger car for our new baby. It has been such a great buy! It is super reliable, nothing has ever broken down on it and it runs like a champ. It has almost 90,000 miles on it now and is still running as great as the day I bought it. It is awesome in the snow, when we had a huge storm here 2 years ago, I was passing up every other SUV and truck left and right as they all got stuck or slid down a the hill. I would recommend this car to anyone, it has been great for us!

Fun to drive, looks great, plenty of room, very reliable.

Could use more power.

Great commuter, not bad comfort
By Gattor

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is great for commuting and could be more comfortable... went on many long trips with it and it's good... I would consider buying another newer model in future.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By PMB

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned more than two dozen new cars in my lifetime, and this one wins hands down for being the most reliable one. Nothing else even comes close!!! I had it for almost six years and had to trade it in at 165K miles due to insurance premiums on multiple cars. It still ran like a dream, and I hated to see it go. Of course, I faithfully changed my oil with high quality products every 3000 miles. This one is really easy to do it yourself.

Ground clearance, cargo space, fuel economy for an SUV (22-25 MPG), overall ride, decent acceleration, easy oil change, incredible reliability, off road capability, and the roof rails able to carry a queen size bed.

Could use more padding on the seats.

I it lots and bunches
By T'cha-Mi'iko

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Outlander started as a rental unit but now has a home. I drive it in East Idaho in the deep snow drifts we get here and black ice conditions with no problems. On warmer days it zips along nicely on the freeway. On railroad crossings and bumpy back country roads it does rattle a bit, but the reviews mentioned that and it is not a problem. It tracked well when I stomped on the brakes to see how they did on an icy road-tracked straight ahead and continued ok when I let off the brakes. It does build up road slush in winter conditions in the wheel wells but it is easy to clean out when I stop. A great vehicle, looks good, rides nice. Looking forward to seeing how it does in the summer.

I love the pockets and more pockets. Another one pops up in interesting places and I wonder what I can put in each one. Took me some time to get used to an automatic tranny, but now I could get spoiled with it.

Larger fuel tank with better mileage. Not too excited about the hidden spare tire. I looking for a roof rack to carry and extra tire on- I always like to have two spares, I'm a boonie rat.