2003 Mitsubishi Outlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:
Pleasantly surprised in Hawaii
By tballer1976 on 06/27/08 13:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car was not first choice but it has been dependable for 5+ years! When on the mainland, it's been to New Mexico, Las Vegas, & throughout California with no problems. Driven through rain, fog, & desert too. It's great to have for long drives & the MPG is comparable to other SUVs of its type/year. The interior is well spaced, especially for back seat passengers, & the stock sound system is surprisingly good. A/C is still running great too. Only complaint is the front seat headrests. I feel like my head is jutted out too forward. Had to just turn my headrest the other way. Also, maintenance at Mitsubishi dealers can get quite pricey, but it is the dealer after all. Great car!

It all fell apart!
By ahinde on 06/17/08 14:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I really liked my 2003 outlander when I bought in in 2004, but soon after that I found it had many problems. Every summer water fills inside my air conditioner and causes it to short out causing a new blower motor to be replaced. This wasn't all covered by warranty and they could never figure out why it would do this. Also my entire suspension has been changed and only a year later it's already squeaking. Also our temp dial doesn't rotate freely anymore, the cable designed badly and has been replaced once already. There are also numerous issues with this model and Mitsubishi won't do recalls on. Overall I would not purchase another one!

Lemon,Lemon---oh no
By Hate my Outlander! on 06/14/08 02:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Outlander has been nothing but problems since I purchased it in 2004 BRAND NEW off the lot. Every year I had water rushing into the passenger side onto the floor. The shop attempted to fix it multiple times. Every time it would happen again until the my warranty ran out and they thought they could refuse to fix it! ha!! LEMON LAW!! Now I replaced the brakes on the front and guess what? I could not get the driver side brake to bleed!! Took it to a brake shop!! The master cylinder is out and I only have two brakes!! the part cost $374. My payment is $500/mo.

Great Ride
By jmercado787 on 04/20/08 11:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the outlander thinking I was going to buy another car later. Yea right, I'm keeping this bad boy. I made some modifications but from 160 hp I'm up to 190 hp. I'm very happy. Also I put 18" chrome rims on it. And a cold air intake. Think about it. You can wonders with this vehicle. I love it.

The Most Reliable Vehicle I Ever Owned
By Mister Digger on 03/19/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my fifteenth car in 20 years, so for this one to give me almost no trouble for 160,000 miles is truly remarkable. The AC went out at about 100K miles, just after doing a major overhaul as preventative maintenance (the timing belt was still good). The latch on the driver's side rear seat also went out at about 80K miles, but that was very minor. With gas prices soaring and me griping about only getting 24 MPG in this SUV, I did the unthinkable and tried to trade it in on a gas saving economy car. Well, I should thank the sales manager for giving me an insult of an offer for trade-in. I canceled the deal and kept this vehicle. If it works, don't fix it!

Disappointed
By john on 12/30/07 18:16 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle brand new thinking I was getting a good deal since it was the last '03 in town. Well lets see, the catalytic converter has been replaced, as well as they entire air conditioning system-which you can only buy the parts from the dealership. Also the cv-joints have been replaced and I only get 16mpg- combined city and highway. You would think it had 100k plus miles, but I just traded it in with 67k. There was no power, touchy transmission, a super disappointment to drive. I also felt every bump in the road and it was so uncomfortable. Also my partner was 6'4" and his knees hit the dashboard and he could hardly drive it. It was cramped and a huge disappointment.

Terrific Little SUV
By LadyFaire on 09/10/07 13:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

If you are looking for a smaller, more fuel efficient SUV, you could not find a better one than the Outlander, whatever the year. I have the 2003, in 2 wheel drive, and both my husband and I liked it so much that he bought a new Outlander (AWD) last year when his Subaru (his 7th) quit. I never thought he would abandon his Subarus, but he actually defected to my Outlander's side. The Outlander handles like a dream, has a really nice sound system (once you fiddle with the balance, etc), the intelligent wipers are great, the seats are comfortable, and the gas mileage is respectable once you break in the engine (after about 30,000 miles).

Excellent Value
By susieris on 03/13/07 20:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Outlander for 3 1/2 yrs. I checked Edmunds before I bought it, looking for an SUV that got good gas mileage, was economical to insure, and that was able to accommodate two tall adults. It has made two long trips (over 1,600 miles) and several 400 mile trips each year with no problems.

Good SUV
By Jennifer on 01/25/07 13:06 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Outlander for almost two years and I am very happy with it. It's very reliable and the performance is good. It is easy to get in and out of and the trunk compartment is easily accessible.

Good Family Vehicle
By C on 10/19/06 14:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've always had minivans before this and I was reluctant to go to an SUV because I enjoyed the extra backseat. However, after test driving the Outlander with my family of five we decited to buy. My three kids fit comfortably in the backseat (with two booster seats) The height is simliar to a van and the trunk is a lot roomier.