Used 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

Best Money I ever Spent
By lionesse2015

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the most awesome car I have driven to NY and Ga on many occasions. I bought the car used with 14k mikes on it today 12years later and 13 years old it's at 214k. Awesome on gas unassuming and just an all around dream. I am in the market for a new car right now and fear I will never find something as good as my outlander.

Favorite Features

Great on gas, low maintenance just tune up gas and timing belt, tires. Never any crazy costly repairs

Traded my Gallant for This???
By cm0805

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I didn't know when I traded that the same motor that was in my Gallant is also in the Outlander. Good motor, but the Outlander is heavier so it has no get up an go. It also doesn't track well, feels top heavy in the curves. Inside is not plush, but looked good when new. Both Gallant and Outlander had the same problems: after a couple yrs the A/C goes out and the temp control knob (the cheapest design I've seen) breaks off. The good news: 10yrs, 260k mi and still running like a top. Oil changes and a timing belt is all I've had to do. My Gallant was the reason I stayed with this brand... 340k, oil changes and 1 water pump. Awesome!

Great car thus far
By btotherich06

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car just recently with just under 76,000 miles, and am very impressed so far. Only major defect I had was the moonroof motor was falling apart, which happened five days after I bought it. Thankfully my auto broker paid for the repair. Even though I have only had this car for almost a month, I can picture myself driving this car until well over 200k miles!

Favorite Features

Heated seats and AWD will be great in the winter, seeing as I live in Colorado. I love the premium Infinity audio sound system too!

Suggested Improvements

Could use some more punch in horsepower up the mountains, better fuel economy from a 4 cyl

Handles all weather
By molly

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have driven my Outlander all over the country, in Massachusetts snowstorms, New Mexico's wind storms, Pennsylvania's pelting rain, and Arizona's searing heat, and it has never let me down. It handles really, really well in the snow. I have not had to do anything other than routine maintenance. The original battery lasted for 7 years, and the paint still looks great. It has a few idiosyncrasies: It makes a strange chirping sound in cool, humid climates (in San Francisco, in particular). As others have noted, it's not the peppiest. It drags on steep hills (like the big one in Camarillo, CA, on the 101 southbound), and I have to stick to the slow lane. All in all, I've been very pleased.

Favorite Features

The exterior paint and style. Handling in snowy conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Needs some horses in the engine and more comfortable seats.

Old reliable
By Ellie

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because the year-end price was too good to refuse (despite not being crazy about the ext styling), but am amazed at the reliability. Almost 80k miles on it and only oil changes/checks & recall replacements. Now needs a new battery. Roomy interior, comfortable on a 2k mile trip. Gas mileage better than expected (average 23-24MPG overall).

Favorite Features

Seat adjustments, gas mileage for size, overall comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior styling, sticky temp control knob (since day one).