2003 Mitsubishi Outlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:
Traded my Gallant for This???
By cm0805 on 08/28/13 06:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I didn't know when I traded that the same motor that was in my Gallant is also in the Outlander. Good motor, but the Outlander is heavier so it has no get up an go. It also doesn't track well, feels top heavy in the curves. Inside is not plush, but looked good when new. Both Gallant and Outlander had the same problems: after a couple yrs the A/C goes out and the temp control knob (the cheapest design I've seen) breaks off. The good news: 10yrs, 260k mi and still running like a top. Oil changes and a timing belt is all I've had to do. My Gallant was the reason I stayed with this brand... 340k, oil changes and 1 water pump. Awesome!

Great car thus far
By btotherich06 on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car just recently with just under 76,000 miles, and am very impressed so far. Only major defect I had was the moonroof motor was falling apart, which happened five days after I bought it. Thankfully my auto broker paid for the repair. Even though I have only had this car for almost a month, I can picture myself driving this car until well over 200k miles!

Handles all weather
By molly on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have driven my Outlander all over the country, in Massachusetts snowstorms, New Mexico's wind storms, Pennsylvania's pelting rain, and Arizona's searing heat, and it has never let me down. It handles really, really well in the snow. I have not had to do anything other than routine maintenance. The original battery lasted for 7 years, and the paint still looks great. It has a few idiosyncrasies: It makes a strange chirping sound in cool, humid climates (in San Francisco, in particular). As others have noted, it's not the peppiest. It drags on steep hills (like the big one in Camarillo, CA, on the 101 southbound), and I have to stick to the slow lane. All in all, I've been very pleased.

Old reliable
By Ellie on 12/06/09 09:34 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because the year-end price was too good to refuse (despite not being crazy about the ext styling), but am amazed at the reliability. Almost 80k miles on it and only oil changes/checks & recall replacements. Now needs a new battery. Roomy interior, comfortable on a 2k mile trip. Gas mileage better than expected (average 23-24MPG overall).

Solid car - very pleased
By Jane on 10/11/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our car 1 year used with about 12000 miles on it. We've been very happy with it. Like any car that is now 6 or so years old, it has a few rattles and such, but not many. It has not had any major issues (regular maintenance only), other than a known issue with the dash AC/Heat selector. Now I must switch from AC to heat from under the dash or pay to fix it (around $1500, so I won't do it). Mileage is right around 20mpg for mix of around town and highway. It's very comfortable to drive and ride in - we regularly make 8+ hour treks in the car and find it very comfy. The car has held up well over the years. Very happy with it.

Great buy
By ashgad on 08/09/09 16:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005, needed a larger car for our new baby. It has been such a great buy! It is super reliable, nothing has ever broken down on it and it runs like a champ. It has almost 90,000 miles on it now and is still running as great as the day I bought it. It is awesome in the snow, when we had a huge storm here 2 years ago, I was passing up every other SUV and truck left and right as they all got stuck or slid down a the hill. I would recommend this car to anyone, it has been great for us!

Great commuter, not bad comfort
By Gattor on 07/02/09 08:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is great for commuting and could be more comfortable... went on many long trips with it and it's good... I would consider buying another newer model in future.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By PMB on 05/02/09 19:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned more than two dozen new cars in my lifetime, and this one wins hands down for being the most reliable one. Nothing else even comes close!!! I had it for almost six years and had to trade it in at 165K miles due to insurance premiums on multiple cars. It still ran like a dream, and I hated to see it go. Of course, I faithfully changed my oil with high quality products every 3000 miles. This one is really easy to do it yourself.

I it lots and bunches
By T'cha-Mi'iko on 01/07/09 10:39 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Outlander started as a rental unit but now has a home. I drive it in East Idaho in the deep snow drifts we get here and black ice conditions with no problems. On warmer days it zips along nicely on the freeway. On railroad crossings and bumpy back country roads it does rattle a bit, but the reviews mentioned that and it is not a problem. It tracked well when I stomped on the brakes to see how they did on an icy road-tracked straight ahead and continued ok when I let off the brakes. It does build up road slush in winter conditions in the wheel wells but it is easy to clean out when I stop. A great vehicle, looks good, rides nice. Looking forward to seeing how it does in the summer.

Good value
By roger on 01/06/09 17:45 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2003 Outlander AWD new and have only had oil changes, tires and a couple recalls since. It's been a very reliable, versatile and economical vehicle.