2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Outlander Sport model:

Most Helpful|
Great Value
By fazzster

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My number one priority for this class is the availability of a manual transmission. Which narrows it down to CX5, Tiguan, 500L and Forester. I already have a brilliant 500L so i don't need 2. I drive 30k miles per year so the VW (having owned a few in the past) are not the most reliable for the long run. The Forester is a solid buy but pricey and boring to drive. CX5 is overall more polished and "funner" to drive. Bottom line, my Mitsu has a warranty that makes sense for a high mileage driver and $18k out the door is a very good deal. It drives very smooth and handles quite well for the class. I see 29-32mpg with out even trying and have achieved 34-35mpg on some short stints.

Favorite Features

18" wheels. Stock stereo sounds better than the high end stereo I had in my GTI. Clutch and shifter have excellent engagement and feel.

Suggested Improvements

The engine can be rough when pushed. I expect a little more refinement from a Japanese engineered engine.

One month real review
By mitsport

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased 12/2013 brand new outlander sport. Tried the cvt and didnt like the way it shifted at all. Got the white 5 speed es model. I keep seeing reviews saying its slow, not sport to drive- Really??? its a 2.0 148 hp mini suv- its not a wrx or evo . Perfect for well under 20grand- i get 27.2-27.8 mpg every tank, it is not hard to park in a mall, its ez to keep clean, decent storage. and one of the longest warrenties out their.

Favorite Features

i like the height adjustable drivers seat

Suggested Improvements

a 3.0l v6 would be nice and well worth buying .

Great Little SUV!!
By stevem777

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I recently bought a 2014 Outlander Sport SE. I can't believe this vehicle is below everyone's radar for anyone wanting a smaller crossover. I did all of the research and found that by far this Mitsu was ranked higher in customer satisfaction that all of the others. I decided to test drive this car and was really impressed with the performance and smooth ride it has. It didn't take long to make a decision when looking at the options for this vehicle. We got every option except for the navigation and the panoramic roof... the 6 speed paddle shifters and INVECS -III - CVT Sportronic transmission makes this a fun to drive, sporty compact SUV.

Favorite Features

Sporty handling and awesome power (when you learn the dynamics of the CVT transmission), not to mention heated seats for the winter and room for 4 adults. A rearview camera helps you when backing up and some models feature back up sensors for when you get too close to an object. Self-dimming rear view mirror is a nice touch along with the automatic rain detection system on the windshield wipers. A full-color LCD multi-information display along with high contrast meter gauge cluster makes it easy to see at all times, night or day. Directional headlights light up the whole world at night... nice and bright.

Suggested Improvements

Mitsubishi has done a great job with this compact SUV... can't think of any improvements at this point.

Don't Listen to the "Experts" - Great Little SUV
By scjenk

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Don't listen to the "experts" because they will steer you wrong on this car. We love this vehicle! Great features, mileage (averaging over 28 MPG per tank, best 31), price, comfort and size capped off by a great warranty. It's not the fastest SUV out there, but it isn't any slower than most of the other vehicles in it's class and if you use the paddle shifters it ups the fun quotient. I had 4 adults and 4 huge suitcases in it the other day and it didn't struggle at all. Consumer Reports rates this the "Most Reliable" small SUV. The hands free system in this car works much better than the SYNC in my F150 and is easier to use. My only complaint is that Mitsubishi cheaped out on the carpet.

Favorite Features

Ride, mileage, size

Suggested Improvements

Better carpeting, could use a few more horsepower

Great gas mileage
By kmgreen

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

About 2 months ago, we traded in our Jeep Liberty for a re-po'ed 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. It gets better gas mileage than expected - about 29-31 in mixed driving. It doesn't feel peppy when accelerating but it's my first CVT and I think it just feels different, not bad. The driver's side has tons of legroom and my knees never hurt on long trips. The road feel is a little rough -- similar to the Jeep. We live down a rough dirt road and with 8+ inches of ground clearance, the Outander Sport performs great.

Favorite Features

Lots of legroom. Helpful average MPG display to learn how to get the best gas mileage. Great ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Slightly peppier acceleration would be nice.